Subject: NA Digest, V. 91, # 49

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 91 05:05:47 -0500

NA Digest   Sunday, December 8, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 49

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     More on "Fingering"
     Test Version of Xnetlib Available
     The Definition of Numerical Analysis
     Results of the 1991 SIAM Election
     Technical Reports Available by FTP
     Bath-Bristol Numerical Analysis Day
     Applied Math Conference in Raba, 15-17 July, 1992
     NA Meeting in Bulgaria
     Linear Algebra Curriculum Study Group
     Information Sought on Message Passing Systems
     High Performance Computing in Health Sciences
     Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management
     Conference on Mathematics in Signal Processing
     NASECODE VIII Announcement
     Special Issue on Computer Aided Geometric Design
     NATO Institute on Linear Algebra
     Position at University of Durham
     Position at Sandia National Laboratories
     Contents, SIAM Mathematical Analysis

Submissions for NA Digest: 
    Mail to [email-masked].

Information about NA-NET:
    Mail to [email-masked].

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 91 12:47:01 PST
Subject: More on "Fingering"

What do the following organizations have in common?

	att,
	bellcore,
	dec,
	ibm,
	kodak,
	nec,
	sgi,
	siam,
	xerox.
(Note Thinking Machines is not on this list.)

You cannot "finger" an individual on this list of great organizations
which claim to be in the business of distributing information. It
hasn't always been that way and indeed the Unix system was devised
with the idea of sharing information. I realize that there was a
security bug in the "finger" command but this can be corrected. And
here is a bit of hypocrisy. My friends at some of those organizations
tell me they finger persons elsewhere!

So let me urge you to ask the systems folks at your institution to
re-install the finger command. Let's use our computers as God intended
them to be used.

	Gene

------------------------------

From: Jack Dongarra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 91 04:20:42 -0500
Subject: Test Version of Xnetlib Available

We have just finished a beta version of a program called Xnetlib.
Xnetlib offers users the same functionality as Netlib but uses an X
Window graphical user interface and a socket mechanism to process
software requests more rapidly.

To receive a copy of this experimental software send a message to
[email-masked] of the form: send xnetlib.shar from xnetlib.
When you receive the shar file, remove the mail header, save it to a
file, type 'sh filename' and follow the instructions in the README
file.

Send comments to [email-masked].

Jack Dongarra
Tom Rowan

------------------------------

From: Nick Trefethen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 91 07:39:10 -0500
Subject: The Definition of Numerical Analysis

   I am in the process of writing an essay on "The definition
of numerical analysis."  I consider this to be not just a 
philosophical matter but one with historical and practical
implications.

   Would NA-netters who have encountered particularly interesting
discussions of this question in print be so kind as to send me
a reference?  I'd be happy to email a draft of my essay to
anyone who may be interested.

				Nick Trefethen

------------------------------

From: DMD <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 91 10:48:24 EST
Subject: Results of the 1991 SIAM Election

The votes of the 1991 SIAM Election have been counted (and re-counted)
and the results are:

PRESIDENT-ELECT                     AVNER FRIEDMAN

(One-year term:  January 1 to December 31, 1992.  The President-Elect  
will also serve two years as President, January 1, 1993 to December 31,
1994, and one year as Past-President, January 1 to December 31, 1995.)
 
VICE PRESIDENT-AT-LARGE             MARGARET H. WRIGHT*
(Two-year term:  January 1, 1992 to Decembe 31, 1993.)

SECRETARY                           PETER E. CASTRO
(Two-year term:  January 1, 1992 to December 31, 1993.)

BOARD OF TRUSTEES                   JULIAN D. COLE
                                    JOHN E. HOPCROFT*
                                    MARY F. WHEELER*
(Three-year term:  January 1, 1992 to December 31, 1994.)

COUNCIL                             MARSHA J. BERGER
                                    TONY F. CHAN
                                    L. PAMELA COOK
                                    JOYCE R. McLAUGHLIN
(Three-year term:  January 1, 1992 to December 31, 1994.)

*Incumbent

------------------------------

From: Nick Higham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 91 09:50:52 GMT
Subject: Technical Reports Available by FTP

Following Pete Stewart's suggestions (NA Digest, Volume 91, Issue 39,
`FTPing Technical Reports') I have made my recent technical reports
available by anonymous FTP.  Also available are the latest version of
my MATLAB collection of test matrices (Version 1.3, November 14,
1991), and some M-files for direct search optimization.

The Internet address is 130.88.16.10 and the files are in pub/higham.
The file `contents' contains a list of contents and `abstracts'
contains the same list together with abstracts.

                      Nick Higham
                      Department of Mathematics
                      University of Manchester

                      [email-masked]
                      [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: A. M. Stuart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1991 09:35:01 GMT
Subject: Bath-Bristol Numerical Analysis Day

BATH-BRISTOL NUMERICAL ANALYSIS DAY
FRIDAY JAN 17th.

There will be a series of 7 talks on numerical analysis
by six speakers from Bath and Bristol and one by 
our guest speaker Jan Verwer from Amsterdam. Details
may be found on the notice board outside the school office.
Spare copies of the announcment are in the school office.

In addition to Verwer, the speakers include Ivan Graham, Paul Loach,
Andy Wathen, Andrew Stuart, Alastair Spence, and Chris Budd.

For further details contact Andrew Stuart
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Lenore Blum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 91 08:00:17 PST
Subject: Applied Math Conference in Raba, 15-17 July, 1992

Professor Noufissa Mikou has sent me an announcement of the 
"Premieres Journees Marocaines de Matheamtiques Appliquees"
organized by the faculty of Sciences of Rabat and l'Ecole
Mohammedia d'Ingenieurs(Rabat) to be held on 15-16-17 July, 1992 in Rabat.

The principal object is to get together researchers and uses interested
in multiple aspects of applied mathematics.

People interested in participating should send a title and abstract by
February 29, 1992 to her:

Prof. N. Mikou
Universite Mohammed V
Faculte des Sciences
Departement de Mathmematiques et Informatique
B.P. 1014
Rabat, Maroc      

------------------------------

From: Taketomo Mitsui <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 16:18:49 JST
Subject: NA Meeting in Bulgaria

Very recently I received a letter from Prof. D. Bainov, which brought the
first announcement of International Colloquium on Numerical Analysis in
August, 1992.  Since it might not be widely known, I like to record it
for interested colleagues.  The announcement follows:

                 First International Colloquium
                    on Numerical Analysis

             Plovdiv, Bulgaria, 13-17 August, 1992

       First Announcement and Invitation for Participation

                       Organizing Committee
 Drumi Bainov (Chairman), Valery Covachev, Stefka Dimova, Georgi Kulev,
 Vasii Petrov, Peter Popivanov, Nikolai Spasov, Stoyan Zlatev (Secretary)

                Address of the Organizing Committee
                     Ass. Stoyan Zlatev
           Mathematical Faculty of the Plovdiv University
             Tsar Assen Str. 24, Plovdiv 4000, Bulgaria

  The First International Colloquium on Numerical Analysis will be organized
by the Institute of Mathematics of the Bulgarian Academy of Science, Plovdiv
University "Paissii Hilendarski", Filial Technical University - Plovdiv,
Scientific Institute on Pharmancy and Pharmacology, Union of Bulgarian
Mathematicians - Plovdiv Section, with the help of Direction des Etudes et
Recherches Electricite de France, and of the American Mathematical Society
and of Notices of the American Mathematical Society.

  The participants in the Colloquium will be accommodated in hotel rooms with
two beds. The registration fee is $110. Detail about the location of the 
Colloquium and the hotel will be given in the second announcement.  The
working language of the Colloquium will be English and Russian.
  The work of the Colloquium will proceed in the following sections:
1. Numerical methods of algebra.  2. Numerical method of approximation
theory.  3. Numerical methods for ordinary differential equations.
4. Numerical methods for partial differential equations.
  The duration of the talk will be 20 min. If you intend to participate in
the Colloquium, please let us know not later than January 1st, 1992,
together with the number of the accompanying persons.  If you wish to
deliver a talk, please send us an abstract by the same date.  It should
be camera-ready: typed with a black carbon ribbon and up to one typewritten
page (the text should be in a frame 17x24 cm).

  The persons who intend to participate in the Colloquium will be sent
the second announcement by May 1st, 1992.

------------------------------

From: Dave Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 13:32:33 PST
Subject: Linear Algebra Curriculum Study Group

The Linear Algebra Curriculum Study Group is organizing a special session 
for the 1992 Joint Math Meetings in Baltimore.  The session will be held
Thursday, January 9 from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. One feature will be several
presentations by users of linear algebra from other fields. Another will
be the LACSG Proposed Syllabus for the First Course in Linear Algebra.
The syllabus will be presented and its rationale and novel features
highlighted. We would also like to have 10-15 minutes presentations by a
few faculty who have used the syllabus already and can comment on its
strengths and weaknesses in the classroom. If you have used our syllabus,
and would be interested in sharing your experiences in this way, please
contact one of the following LACSG organizers:
Dave Carlson, Mathematical Sciences Department, San Diego State University,
  San Diego, CA 92182, 619-594-6670, [email-masked]
Charles Johnson, Mathematics Department, College of William and Mary, 
  Williamsburg, VA 23187, 804-221-2014, [email-masked]
David Lay, Mathematics Department, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
  20742, 301-405-5136, [email-masked] 
Duane Porter, Mathematics Department, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
  82071, 307-766-3395, [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Anthony Skjellum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 13:41:58 PST
Subject: Information Sought on Message Passing Systems

I am currently aware of a number of message passing systems for
multicomputers and multiprocessors including PICL, M4, TCGMSG, Zipcode,
LMPS, nCUBE Vertex, Intel NX/1, Intel NX/2, Reactive Kernel, Express/CroS.

I would be interested to have articles, reports, references, describing
rationale, features and related information about these and other
message passing systems.  I want to create a comprehensive article
describing the structure, rationale, capabilities/deficiencies and
differences of such systems, and explore the degree to which they can
be looked upon in a uniform taxonomy.  My interest is not limited to
multiprocessors and multicomputers, per se, so if you have written any
message passing system, or have related information, please send it to
me.  This study is meant to lead to standard interfaces of
interest to programmers of medium-grain message-passing machines
(multicomputers), and parallel mathematical libraries, as a specific example.

If you know of message-passing systems, please send me info about
i) calling sequences (C and Fortran, if applicable)
ii) message semantics, side effects and design goals
iii) underlying process and programming model/scope
iv) known uses
v) perceived limitations and advantages of the design
vi) instrumentation, debugging and support capabilities
vii) where to find primary references on subject software
viii) where to find code if freely available

It is also likely if you have written multicomputer applications a
parallel kernel or numerical test code, that you have LAYERED on top of
someone's (eg, vendor) system.  I would also like to know about such
layers, as they constitute an important aspect of the process of
programming multicomputers.  Again, I would be interested in items i) -
viii) .

My mail address for hardcopy is: A. Skjellum, LLNL, L-316, 7000 East Ave.,
                                 Livermore, CA 94551

my e-mail is: [email-masked]
FAX:          (510)423-2993

If you wish to be on the mailing list for the article that
comes out of this effort, please let me know as well.  Those who contribute
will get a copy by default, if they tell me their mailing address.

Thanks,
Tony Skjellum, LLNL
Numerical Mathematics Group

------------------------------

From: Matthew Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 91 15:54:55 CST
Subject: High Performance Computing in Health Sciences

I am writing this note to solicit reprints/preprints for a book that I
am writing. The book is called Frankenstein In The Machine 
It is aimed at being a fairly comprehensive study of the role of
high performance computing in medicine/biology/dentistry/allied health
sciences. The book is in its final stages of organization. I am trying
to make the book relatively comprehensive. I am looking for the following
items:

(1)Color pictures/black and white graphics (slides/prints) of actual
   results. Same areas are
	-medical imaging
	-molecular visualization
	-simulation visualization
	-microscopy
        -medical visualization
   but are not limited to these areas. I will make copies of anything
   sent to me and gladly return it to you. In addition, I will
   acknowledge all figures used in the book. If you send pictures, please
   include appropriate citation/legend

(2)Copies of reprints/preprints in the area of computational medicine, 
   dentistry, veterinary medicine, and allied health sciences. Areas 
   include, not exclusively, 
	-computational physiology and metabolism
	-computational pharmacology, pharmacodynamics, drug design
	-computational chemistry
	-demography, epidemiology, and statistics/biostatistics
	-disease modeling
	-cell biology
	-radiology
	-surgery
	-cardiology
	-renal function, brain modeling, neurophysiology, bone modeling
         joint modeling
        -issues in teaching
     
(3)Names and addresses of individuals working in areas related to the
   above and who might be interested in contributing to it.

I am trying to make this as complete a book as possible and do not
wish to commit the faux pas of forgetting someone, if at all possible.
Please feel free to circulate copies of this note, to repost copies of
this note, and to discuss the book with others. I am setting an end
of July 1992 target for receipt of materials. However, I am willing to
be flexible if necessary. If you are interested in being kept informed
about this project, please also let me know.

My contact information is below. Please feel free to contact me if you
have any further questions.

Matthew Witten, Ph.D. MED
Director, Applications Research & Development
Associate Director, 
UT System Center For High Performance Computing
Balcones Research Center, 1.154 CMS
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758-4497 USA

Phone: (512) 471-2472  FAX: (512) 471-2445  

E-MAIL  [email-masked]
      or
        [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Hans Hinterberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 91 09:35:50 +0100
Subject: Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management

Call for Papers       VI SSDBM

SIXTH INTERNATIONAL WORKING CONFERENCE ON
SCIENTIFIC AND STATISTICAL DATABASE MANAGEMENT

ETH
Centro Stefano Franscini        Switzerland, June 9 - 11, 1992

The Conference
This international conference provides a forum for the presentation and
exchange of current work in the field of scientific and statistical database
management. Its workshop character, together with a quiet meeting place on
Monte Verita in southern Switzerland, will provide a climate to stimulate
discussion and the exchange of ideas.

We are particularly soliciting papers on new concepts, novel ideas, and
state-of-the-art research results relevant to database and knowledge base
design from a theoretical as well as applicative point of view. To encourage
the dialog between practitioners and researchers we invite contributions also
from domain-scientists, reporting experiences in data management from their
field. Topics of interest include but are not limited to: modelling and
semantics, query languages and user interfaces, physical organization,
security, scientific databases, data analysis and visualization, management
of temporal and spatial data, evaluation of scientific, engineering, or
statistical applications.

Submission of Papers
Authors are requested to submit five copies of the complete paper, not
exceeding  20 pages, as follows (electronic submissions using latex
acceptable).

Contributions from the American continents to:
      James C. French, North-American Co-Chairman.

All other contributions to:
      Hans Hinterberger, General Chairman.

Time Schedule
December 15, 1991       Deadline for submission of papers.
April 10, 1992          Notification of acceptance.
May 22, 1992            Deadline for final paper to be included in proceedings.

Program Committee
R.A. Becker (USA), R. Cubitt (Luxembourg), K.R. Dittrich (Switzerland),
J.C. French (USA), P. Golder (UK), D.J. Hand (UK), H. Hinterberger
(Switzerland), J. Klensin (USA), K. Kuespert (Germany), F. M. Malvestuto
(Italy), J-F. Marcotorchino (France), M. McLeish (Canada), Z. Michalewicz
(USA), G. Ozsoyoglu (USA), R. Pecherer (USA), M. Rafanelli (Italy), D. Rotem
(USA), H. Sato (Japan), M. Scholl (Switzerland), A. Shoshani (USA),
B. Sundgren (Sweden), P. Svensson (Sweden), J.L.A. Van Rijckevorsel
(Netherlands), A. Westlake (UK), M. Zemankova (USA).

Organizing Committee
R. Cubitt, J.C. French, H. Hinterberger.

Sponsored by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich).
In co-operation with IEEE Computer Society; International Association for
Statistical Computing.

General Chair
Hans Hinterberger
Institute for Scientific Computing, ETH Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland;
e-mail: [email-masked].

Co-Chair
James C. French
Institute for Parallel Computation, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
Thornton Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901, USA;
e-mail: [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: Ian Proudler <"CCF::PROUDLER%hermes.mod.uk"@relay.mod.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91  10:41 GMT
Subject: Conference on Mathematics in Signal Processing

                       CALL FOR PAPERS
  THIRD IMA CONFERENCE ON  MATHEMATICS IN  SIGNAL  PROCESSING
  University  of  Warwick        15th - 17th  December 1992
         Co-sponsored  by the  IEE,  IOP  and  IEEE

Signal processing still constitutes a major growth area for the 
application of mathematical concepts and techniques. The last IMA 
conference on this subject was held in Dec 1988 and the intervening 
years have witnessed a rapid growth of interest in several new topics 
such as wavelets, nonlinear signal processing, neural networks and the 
design of parallel algorithms. The aim of this meeting is to bring 
together mathematicians and engineers with a view to exploring these  
recent developments and identifying fruitful avenues for further 
research. It is hoped that the conference will also help to attract 
more mathematicians into this exciting and important field.

The conference will comprise a keynote address and six non-overlapping 
sessions each featuring 

(a) five or six spoken papers with some tutorial content  

(b) a related poster session for more specific research papers.

Keynote Speaker:  Prof.J.Proakis, Northeastern University, Boston

Contributed papers are invited on all aspects of mathematical signal 
processing and will be accepted on the basis of a 300-500 word summary 
which should be submitted by 31 March 1992. Authors will be advised of 
acceptance by 1 June 1992  and final papers should be handed in by the 
date of the conference. The majority of contributed papers will be 
presented in the poster sessions.

Suitable topics for presentation include:

Parallel processing 
Adaptive filtering 
Total least squares 
Pattern recognition 
Numerical linear algebra 
Inverse problems 
Array signal processing 
Neural network theory 
Wavelets and wavelet transforms 
Nonlinear signal processing and modelling 
High resolution spectral analysis 
Applications of finite mathematics 
Algebraic coding theory 
Statistical signal / image analysis 
Approximation techniques 
Computer arithmetic 

Applications to astronomy, communications, financial modelling, 
medicine, meteorology, radar, seismology, sonar, etc

It is intended that the conference proceedings will be published 
by Oxford University Press as a hard bound volume based on camera 
ready copy. All papers received on time and in the required 
format will be eligible for inclusion subject to review.

The social programme will include a civic reception at the Museum 
of British Road Transport, Coventry, an optional visit to the 
Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford and a conference banquet 
at the University of Warwick.

Members of the organising committee:

Prof  J G McWhirter  (Chairman)  (DRA, Electronics Division) 
Dr C Budd  (University of  Bristol) 
Prof A R Davies  (University College of Wales) 
Prof K Godfrey  (University of Warwick) 
Dr S Hammarling  (NAG Ltd) 
Dr P J Hargrave  (BNR Europe Ltd) 
Dr O Hinton  (University of Newcastle) 
Dr J E Hudson  (BNR Europe Ltd) 
Dr T J Shepherd  (DRA, Electronics Division)

Corresponding members:  

Dr J Abbiss (USA)  
Prof M Bertero (Italy)  
Prof R E Blahut (USA) 
Prof R E Bogner (Australia)   
Prof J Bohme (Germany) 
Prof G Demoment (France) 
Prof G Jullien (Canada) 
Dr P S Lewis (USA) 
Prof F T Luk (USA) 
Dr R Madan (USA) 
Prof J Proakis (USA) 
Dr J Reilly (Canada) 
Prof Y Robert (France) 
Prof S Theodoridis (Greece) 
Prof J Vandewalle (Belgium) 
Prof P Van Dooren (USA)

Abstracts and requests for further details should be sent to 

Miss Pamela Irving
The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications 
16 Nelson Street   
Southend-on-Sea    
Essex SS1 1EF   
England

------------------------------

From: Rakesh Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 12:48:05 CST
Subject: NASECODE VIII Announcement

                    NASECODE VIII
              City Club, Vienna, Austria
                   May 18-22, 1992
                   CALL FOR PAPERS

If you would like to submit a paper in Computational Techniques session
for the up coming 8th NASECODE conference to be held in the Club City, 
Vienna, May 18-22, 1992, then you may mail your papers directely to 
Dr. Rakesh K. Sharma ([email-masked]), Dept. of Mathematics, 
Northern Illinois University, IL 60115. The last date for submitting 
the papers is Feb. 15, 1992.
Papers to be sent in this session should be on Numerical Methods 
for Partial Differential Equations.

FURTHER INFORMATION AND CONTRIBUTIONS

Professor John Miller       Telefax:  +353-1-679-2469
NASECODE VIII Conference    Telex:  93782 TCD EI (attn: Professor J  Miller)
26 Temple Lane              E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Dublin 2, Ireland           Telephone:  +353-1-679-7655

------------------------------

From: Gregory Nielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 14:17:33 -0700
Subject: Special Issue on Computer Aided Geometric Design

                            Call for Papers
                     Computer Graphics & Applications
                                 on
                     Computer Aided Geometric Design

The September 1992 issue of CG&A will be devoted to the topic of Computer
Aided Geometric Design.  Surveys, tutorials and technical papers covering
all areas of this topic are solicited.  Areas of interest include:

  * Curves & Surface Design           * Curve & Surface Offsets
  * Splines & NURBS                   * Smoothing Algorithms
  * Curve & Surface Metrics           * Volume Rendering
  * Knot Selection                    * Standards & Data Transfer
  * Triangular & Multisided Patches   * Surface & Volume Interrogation
  * Multivariate Splines              * Volumetric Data Modeling
  * Interaction Techniques            * Surface/Surface Intersection
  * Geometric Continuity              * Solid Modeling
  * Implicit Surfaces                 * Curve & Surface Parameterization
  * Geometry Processing               * Surface & Volume Contouring
  * Multidimensional Modeling & Visualization

Instructions for Submitting Manuscripts

  Manuscripts should be approximately 5000 words with approximately 10 
  references.  Papers must not have been previously published or currently
  submitted for publication elsewhere.  Manuscripts should have a title
  page that includes the title of the paper, full name(s) and affiliation(s)
  of its author(s), complete physical and electronic address(es), telephone
  number(s), a 300-word abstract.

Deadlines

   * 300-word abstract of the manuscript is due as soon as possible.
   * Five(5) copies of the full manuscript are due by January 1, 1992.
   * Notification of acceptance is April 1, 1992.
   * Final version of the manuscript is due not late than May 1, 1992.

Direct Submissions and Questions to:

             Gregory M. Nielson
             Computer Science Department
             Arizona State University
             Tempe, Arizona 85287-5406
             (602) 965-2785
             [email-masked]
Sponsored by 
IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Computer Graphics

------------------------------

From: M. Moonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 91 11:02:46 GMT
Subject: NATO Institute on Linear Algebra

                NATO Advanced Study Institute           
  Linear Algebra for Large Scale and Real-Time Applications
                      Leuven - Belgium    
                      August 3-14 1992

Scope
The Institute aims to bring together leading researchers involved in the 
design of large scale and real-time computations, and practitioners from 
industry and academia. It seeks to provide a forum to address and discuss 
the state of the art, as well as the needs for the future. The Institute 
will feature invited tutorial sessions as well as contributed papers, with 
ample time for informal workshops and discussion.

This meeting is a successor to a previous ASI, `Numerical Linear Algebra, 
Digital Signal processing and Parallel Algorithms', Leuven, 
Belgium, August 1988. 

Invited Lecturers
P. Bjorstad, Universitetet i Bergen, Norway
S. Boyd, Stanford University, U.S.A.
G. Cybenko, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A.
J. Demmel, University of California Berkeley, U.S.A
E. Deprettere, Technische Universiteit Delft, The Netherlands
P. Dewilde, Technische Universiteit Delft, The Netherlands
R. Freund, RIACS, U.S.A., and University of Wurzburg, Germany
M. Gentleman, National Research Council, Canada
S. Haykin, McMaster University, Canada
B. Kagstrom, University of Umea, Sweden
N. Kalouptsidis, University of Athens, Greece
F. Luk, RPI, U.S.A.
P. Toint, Universite de Namur, Belgium
M. Wright, AT \& T, U.S.A.
C. Van Loan, Cornell University, U.S.A.

Venue
The Institute will be held at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven,
Belgium. Leuven can be easily reached from Brussels International Airport.
For the participants, dormitory rooms will be available on campus.
All attendees are expected to stay for the full duration of the Institute.

Applications
Participation is by invitation only. Persons wishing to make an application
to attend the Institute are invited to send five copies of a short vita
to the address given below. In addition, five copies of a one page abstract 
are requested from those wishing to contribute a short paper. Application 
forms can be obtained by E-mail or regular mail at the address given below.
The deadline for application is March 1st, though earlier applications are
especially welcomed. Notification will be given by April 15th.
Participants will be drawn from both NATO and non-NATO countries. 

Organizing Committee
B. De Moor, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, director
G.H. Golub, Stanford University, U.S.A., co-director
A. Bunse-Gerstner, Universitat Bremen, Germany
S. Hammarling, Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd, Oxford, U.K.
J. Meinguet, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
J. Vandewalle, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

Correspondence Address
M. Moonen, ESAT - K.U. Leuven, K. Mercierlaan 94, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium.
E-mail : [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: John Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 91 17:20:31 GMT
Subject: Position at University of Durham

                           UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM
                   DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES
                  LECTURESHIPS IN MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES
 
   Applications are invited for a Lectureship in Mathematical Sciences and
for a Temporary Lectureship of three years duration, to be filled from 1st
October 1992 or as soon as possible after that date. The department is
committed to excellence in both research and teaching, and invites
applications from candidates with expertise in any area of Pure Mathematics,
Numerical Analysis or Statistics. The initial salaries are likely to be on
the Lecturer A scale (12690 pounds - 17593 pounds pa).
 
  The Department of Mathematical Sciences has 28 academic staff: four
professors, four readers, five senior lecturers and fifteen lecturers. Two
posts are shared with the Physics Department and one with Collingwood College.
Research activities cover a wide range of topics in Pure Mathematics,
Numerical Analysis, Elementary Particle Theory and Statistics. There are
usually several Research Assistants and Visitors, and the SERC supports two
or three London Mathematical Society Durham Research Symposia each year.
These conferences provide a constant flow of mathematicians of the highest
calibre from all over the world to Durham.

Prospective candidates may contact the current Chairman, Dr.M.A.Armstrong
(0913742352) or one of Dr.J.P.Coleman (e-mail: [email-masked] or
[email-masked], Tel: 0913742383), Professor M.Goldstein
(0913742365), Professor A.J.Scholl (0913742355), Professor R.S.Ward
(0913742378) for further information.
 
   Further details may be obtained from the Personnel Officer, Old Shire Hall,
Durham, DH1 3HP, (Tel: 091 374 3158), to whom applications should be returned
no later than 6th January 1992. Please quote reference AO56.

------------------------------

From: Richard C. Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 91 17:51:57 GMT-0900
Subject: Position at Sandia National Laboratories

              APPLIED MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
              Mathematics and Computational Science Department
                        Sandia National Laboratories

The Mathematics and Computational Sciences Department at Sandia
National Laboratories invites outstanding candidates to apply for the
1992 AMS Research Fellowship.  The Fellowship is supported by the
Applied Mathematical Sciences Research Program of the U.S. Department
of Energy.

AMS Fellowships at Sandia provide an exceptional opportunity for
innovative research in scientific computing on advanced architectures,
and are intended to promote the transfer of technology from the
laboratory research environment to industry and academia through the
advanced training of new computational scientists.  Candidates must be
U.S. citizens, must have earned a recent Ph.D. degree or the
equivalent, and must have a strong interest in advanced computing
research. 

The Mathematics and Computational Science Department is affiliated
with DOE's Massively Parallel Computing Research Laboratory at Sandia
which provides a unique parallel computing environment, including a
1,024-processor nCUBE 2, a 64-processor Intel IPSC-860, and a
Connection Machine-2.  In addition, Sandia maintains several large
Cray supercomputers.  The Department has strong programs in
analytical, discrete, and computational mathematics, computational
physics and engineering, theoretical computer science, advanced
computational approaches for parallel computers, graphics, and
architectures and languages.  Areas of particular interest for the
fellowship include massively parallel methods in direct and iterative
sparse matrix computations, numerical optimization, and symbolic
computation and massively parallel methods for the grand challenges;
however, all applicants will be considered.

The fellowship appointment is for a period of one year, and may be
renewed for a second year.  It includes a highly competitive salary,
moving expenses, and a generous professional travel allowance.
Applicants should send a resume, a statement of research goals, and
three letters of recommendation to Robert H. Banks, Division 3531-AMS,
Sandia National Laboratories, P.O. Box 5800, Albuquerque, NM 87185.
The closing date for applications is December 13, 1991, and
prospective candidates will be invited to visit Sandia in early 1992.
The position will commence during 1992.

For further information contact Richard C. Allen, Jr. at (505) 845-
7825 or by e-mail, [email-masked].

                     Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/H
                        U.S. Citizenship is Required

------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 91 17:57 EDT
Subject: Contents, SIAM Mathematical Analysis

Tentative Contents
SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis
March 1992, Vol. 23, No. 2

On the Optimal Design of Columns Against Buckling
Steven J. Cox and Michael L. Overton

L-Estimate for some Nonlinear Elliptic Partial Differential Equation and
Application to an Existence Result
L. Boccardo, F. Murat, and J.P. Puel

The Surface Evaporation Problem with Signorini Boundary Condition
Zhida Huang and Mario Primicerio

Transient Stimulated Raman Scattering
Curtis R. Menyuk and Thomas I. Seidman

Bunsen Flames as Steady Solutions of the Kuramoto-Sivashinsky Equation
Daniel Michelson

Large-Time Behavior of a Time-Periodic Cooperative System of Reaction-Diffusion
Equations Depending on Parameters
Peter Takac

Vector-Valued Tauberian Theorems and Asymptotic Behavior of Linear Volterra
Equations
Jan Pruss and Wolfgang Arendt

Riccati Differential Equations with Unbounded Coefficients and Nonsmooth
Terminal Condition - The Case of Analytic Semigroups
I. Lasiecka and R. Triggiani

The Recovery of Potentials from Finite Spectral Data
Bruce Lowe, Michael Pilant, and William Rundell

Error Bounds for the Asymptotic Expansion of the Ratio of Two Gamma Functions
with Complex Argument
C.L. Frenzen

Functional Inequalities for Hypergeometric Functions and Complete Elliptic
Integrals
G.D. Anderson, M.K. Vamanamurthy, and M. Vuorinen

Some Q-Beta and Mellin-Barnes Integrals with Many Parameters Associated to the
Classical Groups
Robert A. Gustafson

An SU(N)N) Q-Beta Integral Transformation and Multiple Hypergeometric Series
Identities
R.Y. Denis and R.A. Gustafson

Some Formulas of Ramanujan, Revisited
Emilio Montaldi and Giuseppe Zucchelli

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------