Subject: NA Digest, V. 91, # 44

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 91 14:33:57 -0500

NA Digest   Sunday, November 3, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 44

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Need Integration and Hankel Function Routines
     RKF45 in C
     New Book by Steve Vavasis
     Large Sparse Linear Least Squares
     References on Parallel and Vector Computing
     Celebration for Gene Golub
     Proceedings of Symposium on Discrete Algorithms
     Bulgarian Mathemtician Looks for a Position
     London Meeting on Cellular Automata
     Utah Workshop in Distributed Computing 
     Domain Decomposition Mini-conference
     Faculty Position at Boston University
     Mathematics Chair Position at the Naval Postgraduate School
     Contents, Linear Algebra and Applications

Submissions for NA Digest: 
    Mail to [email-masked].

Information about NA-NET:
    Mail to [email-masked].

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Mario Nakamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 91 11:03 C
Subject: Need Integration and Hankel Function Routines

   Does anyone know/have a:

1 - Fortran subroutine to compute a double integral with UNEQUALY
    spaced tabulated values.

2 - tabulated values of hankel functions(spherical bessel functions of
    third kind as defined in Abromowitz 10.1.1) h2n(z) for
    n>100 and z(real) >200

I will apreciate any sugestions.

Mario Nakamura
Cpqd Telebras - Brasil

e-mail address: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Andrew Bertie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 OCT 91 14:57:30 GMT
Subject: RKF45 in C

RKF45 algorithm in C

I have an ANSI C translation of Shampine & Watts' FORTRAN implementation
of their RKF45 algorithm for solving initial value problems - as published
in "Computer Methods for Mathematical Computations" by G. E. Forsythe,
M. A. Malcolm & C. B. Moler (1977).

Andrew Bertie
Academic Computing Service,
Open University,
Walton Hall,
Milton Keynes,
MK7 6AA
U.K.

------------------------------

From: Gene Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 91 18:06:31 PST
Subject: New Book by Steve Vavasis

Steve Vavasis has a new book, NONLINEAR OPTIMIZATION: Complexity Issues.
It's an interesting and elegant book. The publisher is  Oxford Science.

	Gene

------------------------------

From: Paul Calamai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 91 13:39:47 -0500
Subject: Large Sparse Linear Least Squares

A colleague of mine is looking for real large sparse linear
least-squares problems.  Pointers to data/problems would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

   Paul Calamai
   University of Waterloo

------------------------------

From: Ken Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 91 14:57:29 CST
Subject: References on Parallel and Vector Computing

During the spring semester, I am teaching a course on numerical analysis for
vector and parallel computers.  I have taught this in the past, but have not
kept up with the literature as well as I should have.  I know of several books
that cover topics of interest for such a course, but would like to have the
suggestions of others to bring me up-to-date on the literature at the level
of texts (e.g. Ortega; Dongarra, et al) and survey papers (e.g. the recent 
SIAM Review papers on methods for dense and sparse systems on parallel 
machines).  I will compile a summary of whatever suggestions I receive, to be 
made available to others.

Ken Atkinson
Mathematics Dept
University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
e_mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Daniel Boley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 91 21:41:25 -0600
Subject: Celebration for Gene Golub

             A DAY TO CELEBRATE GENE GOLUB'S BIRTHDAY

As part of the Workshop on Iterative Methods on Sparse and Structured
Problems, sponsored by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
(IMA) at the University of Minnesota, February 24-March 1, 1992, the last
full day of the workshop, Saturday, February 29, 1992, will be a special day
to honor a very special person, Prof. Gene Golub, on the occasion of his
sixtieth birthday.  We would like to invite you to participate in this very
happy occasion.

A preliminary outline of the schedule for that day, Saturday, February 29,
1992, is as follows:

On Friday evening, Feb. 28 the IMA will sponsor a buffet reception/dinner
at the Campus Club, on the University of Minnesota Campus.

On Saturday, Feb. 29, during the day, a workshop of a more historical or
anecdotal nature will take place on the University Campus.  Jack Dongarra 
and Paul Van Dooren are handling the details of the program.  If you would 
like to contribute to the informal talks addressing Gene's impact on 
various areas of research, his unique style of interacting with people, 
his travel habits, anecdotes, a survey of areas where he has had an impact, 
etc, please contact either Jack ([email-masked]) or Paul 
([email-masked]) as soon as possible, but in any case before
November 30th.

On Saturday Evening, we will hold a Banquet in the tradition of Gene (that's
right - at a Chinese restaurant!).  Bill Gear will the after dinner speaker.  
We plan to provide bus transportation to the Restaurant.  To help defray 
part of the expenses for Friday and Saturday, we will have to charge individual 
participants $15 per person (this includes the transportation and banquet).

Hotel rooms are available at the Day's Inn, about 4 blocks from Campus, at
the special rate of $34/night (plus tax).  Please call them directly to
reserve your room.  The special rate is being held only until Feb. 9, 1992.
You should be able to guarantee your reservation with a credit card.  The
address/phone number is
        Day's Inn University
        2407 University Ave. S.E.
        Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
        phone (612)-623-3999
           or (612)-623-4262
        (when making reservations, ask for Joyce Turner, or state that
        you are visiting the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications)

If you would like to attend the celebration and banquet, we would like to
hear from you by January 15th, 1992.  Please send e-mail to

    [email-masked]

to receive a copy of an registration form.

I apologize for the lack of a personal reply to all you folks who sent me a
message expressing interest in this workshop.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Daniel Boley       [email-masked]
Jack Dongarra      [email-masked]
Paul Van Dooren    [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 91 17:48 EDT
Subject: Proceedings of Symposium on Discrete Algorithms

TO:         Contributors of the ACM-SIAM Symposium on
            Discrete Algorithms Proceedings Volume

FROM:       Vickie Kearn, Publisher, SIAM

SUBJECT:    Instructions for Preparing Paper

It has come to my attention that several contributors of the
above-mentioned volume have not yet received instructions on how
to prepare their papers.  We mailed these instructions out on
September 23, 1991.  If you have not yet received your
instructions, please contact me at (215) 382-9800; e-mail:
[email-masked], or fax: (215) 386-7999, as the
deadline is quickly approaching--November 8.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

------------------------------

From: Zahari Zlatev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 91 17:12:09 DNT
Subject: Bulgarian Mathemtician Looks for a Position

   I know a Bulgarian numerical analist who is interested in getting
a temporary position in a university or a research institute for one or
two years.

   He is working at the Center for Informatics and Computer Technology
at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. He is interested in  (i) finite
elements with emphasis on local refinement, (ii) domain decomposition,
and (iii) linear algebra. He has done also some research on parallel
algorithms for computers with shared memory (they have transputers
at the Center for Informatics and Computer Technology). He is interested
in research connected with parallel computers (not only computers
with shared memory).

   The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences is the highest research institute
in Bulgaria. The best students from the universities are selected for
the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. In the Center for Informatics
and Computer Technology they are now very interested in
establishing contacts with universities and research institutes in
the Western countries.

   If anybody knows about a suitable position, contact me, please
and I shall pass some more information. Thank you very much in
advance.

   Zahari Zlatev
   lflzl\vm.uni-c.dk

------------------------------

From: Ashok Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 91 09:24:11 UTC
Subject: London Meeting on Cellular Automata

       The British Computer Society Parallel Processing Specialist Group
                               
                               One day Meeting
                                      On
                              CELLULAR  AUTOMATA
                                  Feb 12 1992
                               Imperial College
                                  London, U.K.

 o  Special Purpose Hardware for Cellular Automata
 o  Cellular Automata Simulation on other architectures
 o  Software Systems for Cellular Automata
 o  Use of Cellular Automata models to simulate systems in the physical
      and biological sciences
 o  Visualisation of Cellular Models

Provisional List Of Speakers :-

    G.S. Pawley   Univ of Edinburgh
    R. Taylor     Univ of York
    F. George     Univ of Edinburgh
    B. Martin     Univ of Lyon, France
    A. Broggi     Parma, Italy

If you wish to contribute please send a brief abstract to :-

    Prof. Dennis Parkinson
    A.M.T.
    65 Suttons Park Avenue
    Reading
    U.K.
    RG6 1AZ
    Telephone: +44 734 661111     Electronic Mail :-  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Stefano Foresti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 91 16:59:14 -0700
Subject: Utah Workshop in Distributed Computing 

               UTAH SUPERCOMPUTING INSTITUTE
           FALL WORKSHOP ON DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING

The Utah Supercomputing Institute(USI), the IBM Corporation and Batelle
Pacific Northwest Laboratory are  sponsoring a Workshop on Distributed
Computing to be held November 13  and 14 at  the University of Utah in
Salt Lake City. Leading software developers from  government, industry
and  academia will  make  presentations at  the workshop.   The  first
sessions will be held in the Mariott Library Auditorium on  
on campus.   The second day  of the conference  will be
held at the  University Park Hotel, which is  adjacent to  the campus.
The  second day will be a  joint meeting with the  Future Technologies
Cluster Users  Group  (CUG) sponsored  by  IBM's  Advanced Workstation
Division  in  Austin, Texas  (the designers  and  manufacturers of the
RS/6000 line of scientific workstations).

The field of distributed  computing encompasses topics that range from
distributed database systems and remote graphical display to clustered
computing.  The scope of  the workshop is limited  to the latter area,
which is concerned with the  use  of scientific workstations connected
by local area networks for parallel and batch processsing.

The primary  objectives  of  the  workshop are   to  educate  the user
community  on current activity  in    clustered computing and to  help
researchers and programmers evaluate the potential impact of clustered
computing on their work.  To achieve these objectives,
speakers at the workshop will focus on issues such as the usefulness,
cost and availability of tools for accomplishing  clustered computing.
Among the topics that will be addressed are message-passing libraries,
parallel compilers, network  debuggers, graphical user interfaces  and
performance analysis tools.   Case studies drawn from the  experiences
of researchers will also be included.

Guest Speakers:
    Al Geist
    Adam Kolawa  
    Nicholas Carierro
    Adam Beguilen
    Robert Cooper:

Utah Supercomputing Institute
85 SSB
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
tel: (801)581-5253  Fax: (801)581-5217
E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Graeme Fairweather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 91 20:44:01 EST
Subject: Domain Decomposition Mini-conference

      Mini-Conference on Domain Decomposition Methods
                   November 15 - 16, 1991

                   University of Kentucky
                    Lexington, Kentucky

The conference begins at 1:30 pm on Friday, November 15,
and concludes at 5:00 pm on Saturday.

Speakers include:
    Olof B. Widlund
    Barry F. Smith
    Howard Elman
    William D. Gropp
    David E. Keyes
    Bernard Bialecki
    Tony F. C. Chan
    X. -C. Cai
    Jan Mandel
    Lawrence Cowser
    Torgeir Rusten
    Max Dryja

To register for the conference, contact

    Graeme Fairweather
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Kentucky
    Lexington, Kentucky 40506

    Telephone: 606-257-2326
    E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: David Lukas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 91 13:34:49 -0500
Subject: Faculty Position at Boston University

                       Assistant Professor 
                   Cognitive and Neural Systems 
                        Boston University 

Boston University seeks to hire a tenure track assistant professor 
starting in Fall 1992 for its graduate Department of Cognitive and 
Neural Systems. The Department offers an integrated curriculum 
offering the full range of psychological, neurobiological, and 
computational concepts, models, and methods in the fields 
of neural networks, computational neuroscience, parallel distributed 
processing, and biological information processing, in which Boston 
University is a leader. Candidates should have extensive analytic 
or computational research experience in modelling nonlinear neural
networks, especially in one or more of the areas: learning, speech
and language processing, adaptive pattern recognition, cognitive
information processing, and adaptive sensory-motor control. Send a 
complete curriculum vitae and three letters of recommendation to
Stephen Grossberg, Chairman, Search Committee, Department of Cognitive 
and Neural Systems, Room 240, 111 Cummington Street, Boston University, 
Boston, MA  02215, no later than January 1, 1992. Boston University 
is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

If you have questions or require further information, please reply
to Carol [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: Richard Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 91 19:04:56 PST
Subject: Mathematics Chair Position at the Naval Postgraduate School

                   Chairperson and Professor
                   Department Of Mathematics
                   Naval Postgraduate School
                      Monterey, CA  93943

     The Mathematics Department of the Naval Postgraduate School
invites applications for the position of Chairperson.  The De-
partment has 19 tenure track and eight adjunct faculty specializ-
ing in Applied Mathematics.  The Department's research focuses
are scientific computing (parallel computing, computational
linear algebra, numerical differential equations), applied analy-
sis (acoustics, orbital dynamics, wave propagation, solid and
fluid mechanics, asymptotic methods), and discrete mathematics
(graph theory, combinatorics, optimization).  Ample opportunity
exists for leading a significant Departmental research program in
a supportive environment which includes a Department operated
research laboratory.  The ideal candidate holds a PhD in an
Applied Mathematical area and maintains a strong continuing
effort in research.

     Initial evaluation period will close on March 1, 1992.
Please send nominations of applications including resume and
names of five references who can speak on the scholarship, in-
structional, and organizational abilities of the applicant to the
following individual:

      Professor Don Danielson
      Chairman, Search Committee
      Mathematics Department, Code MA/Dd
      Naval Postgraduate School
      Monterey, CA  93943

     The Naval Postgraduate School/Department of Navy is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applica-
tions from women and minorities.

------------------------------

From: Richard A. Brualdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 91 16:56:20 CST
Subject: Contents, Linear Algebra and Applications

Contributed Announcment: LAA Contents of Volume 160

Volume 160 January 1, 1992 PP. 1-278

Boris Reichstein (Washington, D.C.)
On Waring's Problem for Cubic Forms

George Phillip Barker (Kansas City, Missouri)
Automorphisms of Triangular Matrices Over Graphs

Bryan E. Cain and E. Marques de Sa (Coimbra, Portugal)
The Inertia of Certain Hermitian Skew-Triangular Block Matrices

R. Bruce Richter (Ottawa, Canada) and William P. Wardlaw (Annapolis, Maryland)
The Smallest Matrix of Given Period and Primitive Roots of Unity

Alain Duchamp (Le Mans, France)
Delta Matroids Whose Fundamental Graphs Are Bipartite

Boying Wang and Fuzhen Zhang
(Beijing, People's Republic of China)
Some Inequalities for the Eigenvalues of the Product 
of Positive Semidefinite Hermitian Matrices

Jerzy K. Baksalary (Tampere, Finland) Bernhard Schipp, 
and Gotz Trenkler (Dortmund, Germany)
Some Further Results on Hermitian-Matrix Inequalities

C. Vuik (Delft, The Netherlands) and H. A. van der Vorst
(Utrecht, The Netherlands)
A Comparison of Some GMRES-like Methods 

Ruud H. Koning (Groningen, The Netherlands), Heinz Neudecker
(Amsterdam, The Netherlands) and Tom Wansbeek (Los Angeles, California)
Unbiased Estimation of Fourth-Order Matrix Moments

J. A. de la Pena and M. Takane (U.N.A.M., Mexico)
The Spectral Radius of the Galois Covering of a Finite Graph

Antony Jameson (Princeton, New Jersey), Eliezer Kreindler
(Haifa, Israel), and Peter Lancaster (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
Symmetric, Positive Semidefinite, and Positive Definite Real Solutions
 of AX=XAT and AX=YB 

LeRoy Beasley (Logan, Utah) and N. J. Pullman (Kingston, Ontario, Canada)
Linear Operators Strongly Preserving Idempotent Matrices Over Semirings

S. R. Mohan and R. Sridhar (New Dehli, India)
On Characterizing N-Matrices Using Linear Complementarity

Richard H. Warren (King of Prussia, Pennsylvania)
Revisiting the 0, 1 Assignment Problem

Rajendra Bhatia (New Dehli, India)
Review of Matrix Perturbation Theory by G. W. Stewart and Ji-guang Sun

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------