Subject: NA Digest, V. 91, # 23

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 91 14:32:50 -0400

NA Digest   Sunday, June 9, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 23

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Looking for Very Large, Unsymmetric, Sparse Matrices
     Boundary Element Method
     Question on Non-Linear Least Squares
     SVD and Signal Processing Book Available
     New Edition of Lambert's ODE book
     Vacant Position at Brussels Free University
     Opening for Contract Software Tester
     Dundee Conference Talks
     Parallel Numerical Analysis Workshop
     Symposium on Computer Arithmetic
     Conference in Italy on Domain Decomposition
     Conference in France on High Performance Computing
     Guidelines for The Hans Schneider Prize

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Tim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 13:31:53 -0400
Subject: Looking for Very Large, Unsymmetric, Sparse Matrices

We're developing an unsymmetric sparse LU factorization algorithm that uses
the Level-3 BLAS in its innermost loops.  It should perform best on very
large unsymmetric sparse matrices that have very asymmetric nonzero pattern
and that are not extremely sparse.

Unfortunately, the Harwell/Boeing sparse matrix collection [1] has only a few
matrices that fit this classification.  We would be interested in getting in
contact with anyone who could contribute this type of matrix.  In exchange
for your efforts you would be assisting in the development of an algorithm
that is targeted towards your application.

We would prefer to receive matrices on Sun cartridge tape in the Harwell/Boeing
format (see [1]), but any format would be suitable as long as it's readable.
We would prefer both values and pattern, but pattern-only would suffice.
Code that generates application-specific matrices of arbitrary size would
also be welcome.

Tim Davis

Computer and Information Sciences Department
301 CSE
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-2024, USA
email: [email-masked] or [email-masked]
phone: (904) 392-1481

[1] I. S. Duff, R. G. Grimes, and J. G. Lewis, "Sparse Matrix Test Problems,"
    ACM Trans. Math. Softw., vol. 15, no. 1., March 1989, pp. 1-14.

------------------------------

From: David Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 91 21:58:11 GMT
Subject: Boundary Element Method

I'm interested in finding out whether there are software packages in
Fortran that solve Stokes equations or linear elasiticity equations using
boundary element methods.

There is a new book on microhydrodynamics by S. Kim (Wisconsin) which
includes a big section on the application of BEM to fluid problems.  There
is also an internet address (somewhere in Wisconsin?) from which one can
ftp various programs.  Has anyone tried this and if so what is the address?

David Halpern
Biomedical Enginnering
Northwestern University
Evanston IL

------------------------------

From: Dave Chin <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 91 21:28:41 GMT
Subject: Question on Non-Linear Least Squares

Howdy!

	I am currently writing a driver to use SLATEC's
non-linear least-squares fitting routine to fit a curve to some
data.  It works fine with simple stuff, but the results I get 
don't look right (by looking at a plot of the fit against the data).

	My question is:  does anyone know in some detail how the
algorithm behaves?  (SLATEC uses a version of the Levenson-Marquadt
algorithm -- I can't find any references in the libraries at Cornell
[maybe I'm not looking hard enough]).

	Thanks in advance.

Dave Chin  Class of '92, Cornell U.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Rick Vaccaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 10:08:01 EDT
Subject: SVD and Signal Processing Book Available

The following book has just been published

	SVD and Signal Processing II
	Elsevier Science Publishers
	R.J. Vaccaro, editor
	ISBN 0-444-88896-9.

The book is a spin-off of the 2nd International Workshop on SVD and
Signal Processing which was held in Kingston, Rhode Island, June 25-27,
1990.  It consists of 32 papers divided into five sections: Survey
Papers, Algorithms and Architectures, Analysis of SVD-Based Algorithms,
Applications to Signal Modeling and Detection, and Other Applications.

This book examines in detail the singular value decomposition of a
matrix and its applications to problems in signal processing. 
Algorithms and implementation architectures for computing the SVD are
discussed, and analysis techniques for predicting and understanding
the performance of SVD-based algorithms are given.  The price is 
US$ 85.00 / Dfl. 220.00 and the book may be ordered from

	Elsevier Science Publishing Co.
	P.O. Box 882, Madison Square Station
	New York, NY   10159

or

	Elsevier Science Publishers
	P.O. Box 211 
	1000 AE Amsterdam,  The Netherlands.

------------------------------

From: D. F. Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 08:45:40 BST
Subject: New Edition of Lambert's ODE book

Jack Lambert has recently completed a replacement for his 1973 book
Computational Methods in ODES.  The new book is entitled
 
Numerical Methods for Ordinary Differential Systems

and will be published by Wileys (ISBN 0 471 92990 5) later this month.
It is expected that copies will be appear at the book exhibition at the
Dundee Conference.

David Griffiths

------------------------------

From: Robert Beauwens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 91 19:00:00 +0200
Subject: Vacant Position at Brussels Free University
                     
                     VACANCE EXTERNE

L'Universite Libre de Bruxelles annonce la vacance externe, a la Faculte
des Sciences Appliquees, a partir du 1er octobre 1992 d'un poste de
Charge de cours a temps plein ,charge des enseignements suivants :

MATH101 - Analyse I  (y compris calcul differentiel, calcul integral)
          Theorie 75 h. Exercices 75 h.
          1ere annee du grade de candidat ingenieur civil.

MATH102 - Analyse II (y compris calcul integral, elements du calcul des
          variations et du calcul des differences)
          Theorie 75 h. Exercices 75 h.
          2eme annee du grade de candidat ingenieur civil.

Les demandes des candidat(e)s doivent parvenir, accompagnees d'un
curriculum vitae, a Mme le Recteur de l'Universite
                    50 avenue F.D. Roosevelt
                    B-1050 Bruxelles
avant le 15 decembre 1991.

------------------------------

From: Cheryl Checkoway <mathworks!ccheckoway>
Date: Fri, Jun 7, 1991 12:34:41 PM  EDT
Subject: Opening for Contract Software Tester

                Opening for Contract Software Tester

The MathWorks is interested in hiring a software tester on a contract basis 
to work on alpha testing MATLAB, SIMULAB, and toolboxes.  This position is
expected to last 2-4 months, full-time over the summer and, potentially,
part-time during the fall.  The individual who fills this position will work
with our in-house testing staff to plan and implement testing in terms of both
electronic test suites and interactive testing.

Requirements include a solid background in mathematics, including linear
algebra, and proficiency as a Unix user.  Working familiarity with PCs and
Macintosh computers as well as formal testing experience and prior use of
MATLAB are desirable.  In addition, a bachelor's degree in math, engineering,
or computer science, and the ability to program in C would be definite pluses.

Please mail, fax, or email resumes.  My email address is [email-masked].
Our fax number is 508-653-2997.

  Cheryl Checkoway
  The MathWorks
  24 Prime Park Way
  Natick, MA  01760

------------------------------

From: D. F. Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 91 17:32:44 BST
Subject: Dundee Conference Talks

   14th BIENNIAL CONFERENCE ON NUMERICAL ANALYSIS
           UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE
             25 - 28 June, 1991

               A R MITCHELL LECTURE
        Matrices, moments and quadrature
        G. H. Golub, Stanford University.

                Invited talks

Pivoting and stability in the augmented system method
Ake Bjorck, Linkoping University, Sweden

Portable Numerical Software for High Performance Parallel Machines
James Demmel, University of California at Berkeley, USA.

A Parallel Algorithm for the Non-symmetric Eigenvalue Problem
Jack Dongarra, University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National 
Laboratory, USA.

A personal view of large-scale nonlinear programming
Nick Gould, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.

A Review of Uniform Subdivision
John A. Gregory, Brunel University

Numerical analysis of functional equations with a variable delay
A. Iserles and Martin Buhmann, University of Cambridge.

The Slightly Compressible Navier-Stokes Equations
Jens Lorenz, The University of New Mexico, USA.

Upwinded Test Functions for Finite Element and Finite Volume Methods
K.W. Morton, University of Oxford.

The complexity of Karmarkar's algorithm for linear programming
M. J. D. Powell, University of Cambridge.

Variable steps for symplectic integrators
J. M. Sanz-Serna and M. P. Calvo,
Universidad de Valladolid, Spain

Nonlinear Parameter Estimation: Models, Criteria, Algorithms
Hubert Schwetlick, Martin Luther University, Germany

Unconventional methods for boundary integral equations in the plane
Ian H. Sloan

Numerical methods for hyperbolic integro-differential equations
Vidar Thomee, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden.

Non-Normal Matrices and Pseudospectra
Lloyd N. Trefethen, Cornell University,USA.

Analysis of an adaptive finite-difference method for time 
dependent PDEs
J. G. Verwer and R. A. Trombert, CWI, Amsterdam.

There will be, in addition, 100 contributed talks in four
parallel sessions.  Authors of contributed papers will be
notified during the next few days.

A limited number of late registrations will be accepted.
Contact D F Griffiths
	[email-masked]
or	[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Frank Plab <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 91 19:41:15 GMT
Subject: Parallel Numerical Analysis Workshop

                   FINAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
                        One-Day Workshop
                              on
                   PARALLEL NUMERICAL ANALYSIS
               
                          sponsored by 
               Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre
                     University of Edinburgh
                          21 June 1991

A one-day workshop on Parallel Computing in Numerical Analysis will be
held at the Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC) on Friday, 
21 June 1991. The workshop should give numerical analysts and
other interested researchers an opportunity to exchange experiences in
parallelising numerical algorithms.

Invited presentations:

     Prof Iain Duff (Rutherford Appleton Laboratory) 
        "Exploitation of Parallelism in the Solution of Sparse Systems"
        
     Dr Peter Mayes (Numerical Algorithms Group)
        "Parallelism and the NAG library"

Organising committee:
     Frank Plab (Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre)
     Ken McKinnon (Dept of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh)
     Dugald Duncan (Dept of Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University)

The Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC) is a multi-disciplinary
institution engaged in research and commercial development in parallel
computing.  It is home to a wide range of parallel computing equipment,
including: a Computing Surface with more than 400 T800 transputers and
over 300 users; the UK Grand Challenge machine, which contains 64
i860/T800 hybrid nodes; and both a 64x64 and a 32x32 AMT DAP.  EPCC has
a full-time staff of 26, and a large number of associates in computer
science, physical and mathematical sciences.

------------------------------

From: George Corliss <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 19:02:34 CDT
Subject: Symposium on Computer Arithmetic

Conference of potential interest to numerical analysts:

            SCAN-91  IMACS-GAMM 
International Symposium on Computer Arithmetic and
            Scientific Computing

Dates:    October 1 - 4, 1991
Location: Universitaet Oldenburg, Germany  (near Bremen)

The symposium provides a forum for interaction among researchers and
practitioners in computer arithmetic and scientific computing.  The
themes of the meeting include contemporary computer arithmetic,
computer arithmetic and programming languages, environments, enclosure
methods, interval arithmetic algorithms.

Earlier instances of this symposium have been held in Karlsruhe
(Germany), Basel (Switzerland), and Albena (Bulgaria).

Potential contributors should submit one page abstracts to arrive 
in Oldenburg no later than June 15, 1991.

Social activities will include a "gemuetlichen Bierabend" in the
"Hengelbraeu" (reception) and a whole day excursion to the island of
Helgoland on the October 3 national holiday.

For further official information, contact
      Prof. Dr. J. Herzberger
      Fachbereich Mathematik
      Universitaet Oldenberg
      W-2900 Oldenburg
      G E R M A N Y
For informal information, contact
    George F. Corliss
    Mathematics and Computer Science Division
    Argonne National Laboratory
    9700 S. Cass Ave.
    Argonne, IL  60439-4844
    Office: (708) 972-6188
    Fax:    (708) 972-5986
    [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Alfio Quarteroni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:29:44 -0500
Subject: Conference in Italy on Domain Decomposition

Announcement and Call for Papers:

6th International Conference on DOMAIN DECOMPOSITION METHODS

Location: Villa Olmo, COMO, Italy

Date: 15-19 June 1992

Organizers: A.Quarteroni, L.D.Marini, A.Valli, A.Russo
Scientific Committee: J.H.Bramble, T.F.Chan, G.H.Golub, R.Glowinski,
Yu.A.Kuznetsov, J.Periaux, A.Quarteroni, O.B.Widlund.

Conference Themes: Numerical Analysis of Domain Decomposition, Block
and Substructuring Methods, Multilevel Methods, Domain Decomposition for
Time Dependent Problems, Interface Conditions for Heterogeneous Domain        
Decomposition, Parallel Implementation, Multibody Dynamics, Decomposition
Methods in Microelectronics, Environmental Sciences, Applications in Science
and Engineering.

APPLICATION FORM SHOULD BE REQUESTED TO: [email-masked]

 Alfio Quarteroni 

------------------------------

From: Marc Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 21:15:49 GMT
Subject: Conference in France on High Performance Computing

         2nd SYMPOSIUM on HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING
                   October 7-9, 1991
                  MONTPELLIER - FRANCE

                      Organized by
                         CNUSC
          Centre National Universitaire Sud de Calcul
                         CNSF
             Cornell National Supercomputer Facility
                         INRIA
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique
                         IBM

                        SCOPE

This is the second of a series of biennial symposia, which intend to be a forum
for specialists working in various domains associated with Intensive Computing
(Parallelism, Vectorization and Scalar).The growth of scientific computing
devices, has led, through new disciplines such as Parallel Numerical Analysis,
to a rapprochement of domains usually separated.

So the main purpose of this meeting is to give scientists an opportunity to
investigate interactively areas such as Architecture of Supercomputers,
Compilers, Algorithms, Computational Methods, Mathematical Software,
Numerical Applications, etc.

The symposium will feature, in addition to 6 general purpose plenary sessions,
15 parallel sessions dedicated to more specialized topics. It will allow anyone
from academia or industry to gather information about state-of-the-art
achievements together with trends and perspectives in research.

                    INVITED SPEAKERS

W. Camp (USA) / Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque
"Massively Parallel Computing for Scientific and Engineering Applications"

R. Glowinski (France)  / University of Houston / INRIA
"Fictitious Domain Methods for Partial Differential Equations"

J. Killough (USA) / University of Houston / Elf-Aquitaine, Pau
"Improving Recovery from Hydrocarbon Reservoirs through High Performance
Computing"

J. Lenfant (France) / IRISA / Universit{ de Rennes
"Parallel Memory Organization for High-Speed Computers"

G. Meurant (France) / CEA, Centre d'Etudes de Limeil-Valenton
"The Future of Scientific Computing on Parallel Computers"

R. Moulic (USA) / IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights
"Highly Parallel Machines"

                      SESSIONS

A) ARCHITECTURES, PARALLEL ALGORITHMS AND COMPILERS
    1) Architectures
    2) Algorithms and Languages
    3) Compilers
    4) Performance Analysis
    5) Distributed Computing on Workstation Network

B) NUMERICAL METHODS FOR SUPERCOMPUTERS
    6) Vector/Parallel Algebraic Solvers
    7) Numerical Discretization I
    8) Numerical Discretization II
    9) Numerical Discretization III
    10) Stability and Reliability

C) HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING APPLICATIONS
    11) Computational Fluid Dynamics I
    12) Computational Physics and Chemistry
    13) Computational Fluid Dynamics II
    14) Transport Phenomena
    15) Emerging Fields

                    SYMPOSIUM SECRETARIAT
    
For complete information about the conference, including contributed program
and registration information, please contact:

Anne Lefevre
CNUSC - SHPC 91
950 Rue de Saint Priest - B.P. 7229
34184 MONTPELLIER CEDEX 4, FRANCE
Tel : (+33) 67-14-14-14
Fax : (+33) 67-52-37-63
E-mail : [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Danny Hershkowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 09:05:31 IST
Subject: Guidelines for The Hans Schneider Prize

In May 1991, Hans Schneider, The ILAS President,  has  announced  the
Hans Schneider Prize in Linear Algebra.

The  Guidelines  Committee  for  the  prize,  consisting   of   Danny
Hershkowitz and Roger  Horn,  has  prepared  the  enclosed  draft  of
guidelines for the prize.  We  would  appreciate  your  comments  and
suggestions concerning these guidelines. Please make those by  e-mail
to

Danny Hershkowitz ( [email-masked] )

or to

Roger  Horn  (  [email-masked]  )

no later than July 10.

                              Sincerely,
                  Danny Hershkowitz       Roger Horn

               THE INTERNATIONAL LINEAR ALGEBRA SOCIETY
              The Hans Schneider Prize in Linear Algebra

                              GUIDELINES

The Hans Schneider Prize in Linear Algebra ("the Prize")  is  awarded
by The International Linear Algebra Society  ("ILAS")  for  research,
contributions, and  achievements  at  the  highest  level  of  Linear
Algebra. The Prize may  be  awarded  for  an  outstanding  scientific
achievement or for lifetime contribution.

AWARD DATE AND PERIOD:

The Prize is  awarded  every  three  years  at  an  appropriate  ILAS
conference, as decided upon by the ILAS Executive Board. In any  year
in which a Prize is awarded, there may be more  than  one  recipient,
within the discretion of the ILAS Executive Board.

ELIGIBILITY:

Aside from specific guidelines  developed  by  the  Prize  Committee,
there shall  be  no  restrictions  on  who  may  receive  the  Prize,
including without limitation, restrictions with respect to sex, race,
national origin, age, or the time since the recipient took his or her
last academic degree.

PROCEDURE:

A Prize Committee shall make specific  recommendations  to  the  ILAS
Executive Board about the choice of recipients.  However,  recipients
shall actually be chosen  by  the  ILAS  Executive  Board.  The  ILAS
Executive Board may decide on the preferred nature of the Prize  each
time it is to be awarded, and instruct the Prize  Committee  to  make
its recommendations accordingly.

The Prize Committee shall consist of five members who  are  appointed
by the ILAS President upon the advice of the  ILAS  Executive  Board,
and the ILAS President as  an  ex-officio  member.  The  appointments
shall be made at least nine months in  advance  of  the  Prize  award
date. The term of office shall be from the date of appointment  until
the date of the Prize award.

The committee shall  solicit  nominations  for  the  Prize  from  the
general membership of ILAS, as well as  from  other  members  of  the
scientific community. The ILAS President shall appoint a  replacement
for any Prize Committee member who is nominated  for  the  Prize  and
does not remove his/her name from consideration.

The Prize Committee shall notify the ILAS President of its  selection
at least three months prior to the award date. The notification  must
be accompanied by a written justification, as well as a citation that
can be used for a certificate  and  read  at  award  time.  The  ILAS
Executive Board may accept, reject, or change the nomination at least
three months prior to the award date.

NOTIFICATION OF AWARD:

The ILAS President shall notify the  recipient(s)  of  the  Prize  at
least two months in advance of the award date.  An  invitation  shall
also be extended to the recipient(s) to attend the award ceremony  to
receive the Prize and to present a talk.

THE PRIZE PRESENTATION:

The ILAS President shall announce the Prize at the chosen  conference
and present the Prize to  the  recipient(s)  that  are  present.  The
recipient(s) is not required to be present to receive the  Prize.  An
announcement of the Prize recipient(s) shall appear in ILAS'  printed
and electronic media.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRIZE:

The Prize consists of a  plaque  and  a  certificate  containing  the
citation. The ILAS Executive Board may  decide  to  grant  the  Prize
recipient(s) also a cash award and/or to cover all  or  some  of  the
expenses of the Prize recipient(s) in attending the award ceremony.

THE PRIZE FUND:

The Prize fund consists of a gift of  $10,000.00  given  to  ILAS  by
Professor Hans Schneider. Other donors may make gifts  to  the  fund.
Such gifts shall be added to the principal. The principal  amount  of
the fund has been invested, and earned interest on the  principal  is
used to fund the Prize.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------