Subject: NA Digest, Vol. 91, No. 4

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 00:29:34 -0500

Comment: Submissions for NA News Digest, mail to [email-masked].
Comment: Information about NA-NET, mail to [email-masked].
Comment: Comments about the NA-NET, mail to [email-masked].

NA Digest   Sunday, January 27, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 4

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Need Help Finding Vicsek and Hegedus
     Richard Brent Elected IEEE Fellow
     Change of Address for CU Denver
     Strang's New Calculus Book
     Lotus "Household marketplace" Cancelled
     Hans Lewy Postdoctoral Fellowships at LBL
     Complexity Issues for Numerical Optimization

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Robert Beauwens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 91 18:49:22 +0100
Subject: Need Help Finding Vicsek and Hegedus

Does anybody know the (regular and/or email) addresses of
         Dr Maria Vicsek
         Dr Csaba Hegedus
I got an email message from: Vicsek Maria <[email-masked]> (Hungary)
concerning the IMACS International Symposium on Iterative Methods in
Linear Algebra, to be held in Brussels, April 2-4, 1991. I wish to
answer quickly but this email address is rejected by the mailer with
the comment "Node name too long".
The only information I have is that Dr C. Hegedus was an invited
speaker at the Nato school last September in Italy.
If you can help, please mail the information to [email-masked]
Many thanks,
Robert Beauwens.

------------------------------

From: Frank Luk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 08:44:08 EST
Subject: Richard Brent Elected IEEE Fellow

Professor Richard Brent of the Australian National
University has just been elected Fellow of the IEEE.
He was one out of only 237 so honored this year 
by the IEEE for achievement in their fields.
Richard was cited for his work in the
"development and analysis of parallel algorithms."

Congratulations!

[and congratulations to Richard from NA Net guys, too.  --Cleve] 

------------------------------

From: Roland Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 14:31:04 -0700
Subject: Change of Address for CU Denver

 Change of Mailing Address for the University of Colorado at Denver

The mailing address for the University of Colorado at Denver has been
changed effectively immediately.  All correspondence to any member of
the Mathematics Department or the Computational Mathematics Group
should be addressed to:

Campus Box 170
P.O. Box 173364
Denver, CO  80217-3364

------------------------------

From: Gil Strang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 13:13:37 EST
Subject: Strang's New Calculus Book

May I announce the publication of CALCULUS, written to be a direct and 
friendly textbook (615 pages, iteration and computing included with
the basic 3-semester course structure). Please contact me or 
Wellesley-Cambridge Press, Box 82-279, Wellesley MA 02181 (617-431-8488).
Thank you.

					Gil Strang

------------------------------

From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 08:58:40 PST
Subject: Lotus "Household marketplace" Cancelled

               Privacy flap kills Lotus data base

     [Excerpts from a story in the San Jose Mercury News, 1/24/91]

     Under pressure from consumers and privacy advocates, software
giant Lotus Development Corp. said Wednesday it will not introduce
a personal computer data base that would have given businesses
detailed information on 120 million Americans.
     ...
     The product was expected to be relased in March.  But officials
at Lotus and Equifax said they decided to withdraw it after 30,000
consumers wrote or telephoned them, demainding their names be removed.
     ...
     Much of the criticism came from sophisticated computer users
on the nationwide Usenet computer network, who began a grass-roots
campaign against the product that spread quickly.

------------------------------

From: Paul Concus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 10:11:27 PST
Subject: Hans Lewy Postdoctoral Fellowships at LBL

     Applications are invited for the Hans Lewy postdoctoral 
fellowship in the Mathematics Department of the Lawrence Berkeley 
Laboratory for 1991-92.  The fellowship, which was initiated last 
year, is intended to enhance scientific research in the U.S.A. by 
fostering a recent Ph.D. to work in areas related to the numerical 
solution of partial differential equations.  Of particular emphasis 
are those areas in which the LBL Mathematics Department is active, 
such as fluid mechanics, polymer statistics, interface methods, 
iterative methods, and parallel processing.  Concomitant interests in 
the use of advanced-architecture computers are encouraged.  The LBL 
Mathematics Department maintains close ties with the nearby 
Mathematics Department of the University of California, Berkeley.

     Interested applicants should send a curriculum vitae and names 
of three references before February 18, 1991 to Lawrence 
Berkeley Laboratory, Employment Office 90/1042, Position # B/6204,
University of California, Berkeley, 
CA  94720.  The fellowship is for one year, beginning in summer or 
fall of 1991, with possibility of renewal for a second year.  Support 
is provided primarily by special funds from the Department of 
Energy Applied Mathematical Sciences Research Subprogram, for 
which there is a stipulation that the recipient be a U.S. citizen or 
permanent resident.  An Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/H.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Vavasis <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jan 91 15:40:56 GMT
Subject: Complexity Issues for Numerical Optimization

			     Workshop on
  COMPLEXITY ISSUES FOR NUMERICAL OPTIMIZATION
			   Ithaca, New York
			  March 22--23, 1991

Supported by the United States Air Force Office of Scientific
Research; the United States Army Research Office through the
Mathematical Sciences Institute of Cornell; and Pennsylvania State
University.

Organized by Panos M. Pardalos (Pennsylvania State University) and
Stephen A. Vavasis (Cornell University).  Held in cooperation with
SIAM.

Powerful algorithms have been developed for numerical optimization
problems since the 1940's, but these problems remain among the most
computationally intensive tasks in existence.  In recent years the
need has grown to solve problems with large numbers of unknowns.  This
demands an understanding of the asymptotic behavior of algorithms for
these problems.

Our understanding of the asymptotic complexity issues has grown
immensely in the past 15 years.  At this workshop, invited speakers
will present state-of-the-art research on new algorithms for
optimization problems and their complexity.

The workshop will feature approximately 15 invited speakers during a
two-day period.  There will be no contributed papers.  Scheduled
speakers include:
 I. Adler (Berkeley)            N. Shor (Kiev)
 D. Du (Princeton)              E. Tardos (Cornell)
 N. Karmarkar (AT&T Bell Labs)  M. Todd (Cornell)
 V. Klee (Washington)           C. Tovey (Georgia Tech)
 N. Megiddo (IBM and Tel Aviv)  P. Vaidya (Illinois)
 K. Murty (Michigan)            G. Wasilkowski (Kentucky)
 J. Renegar (Cornell)           Y. Ye (Iowa)
as well as the organizers.

Hotel and conference registration is limited.  The registration
fee is $80. For registration forms and more information, contact:
  Cindy Robinson-Hubbell
  Department of Computer Science
  Upson Hall
  Cornell University
  Ithaca, NY 14853 
  U.S.A.
  607-255-9215
  [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------