Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 90 12:59:33 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, November 4, 1990   Volume 90 : Issue 38

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Last Minute Change in SIAM Meeting Program
     A Classic Book Republished
     New Addresses for Loyce Adams and Randy LeVeque
     Positions at Boston University
     Open Position at Stanford University
     1991 Householder Fellowship at Oak Ridge
     Open Positions at NASA Ames Research Center
     CTAC91 Conference in Adelaide, 15-17 July 1991.

-------------------------------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 11:03 EDT
Subject: Last Minute Change in SIAM Meeting Program

ATTENTION ATTENDEES

SIAM Conference on Linear Algebra in
Signals, Systems and Control

November 5-8, 1990, San Francisco, CA

Due to some unavoidable circumstances, Professor Ake Bjorck is unable to give
his invited presentation scheduled for 8:30 AM, Tuesday, November 6. In his
place, Professor Gene H. Golub, Stanford University, will give the following
presentation:

			Orthogonal Polynomials and Least Squares

In this talk, we discuss two topics whose solution has a common tool of
development. Orthogonal polynomials over a finite set of points come up in
many applications. The polynomials are determined by a three-term recurrence
relationship. We discuss the problem of updating and downdating the recurrence
relatioships. Another important problem is to solve a linear least squares
problem with a quadratic constraint on the solution. The data matrix may be of
large dimension so that it is not possible to compute the associated SVD. We
describe an algorithm for getting upper and lower bounds on the Lagrange
multiplier. Both problems are solved through the method of modified moments
and Gauss quadrature.

Time of presentation: 8:30 AM, Tuesday, November 6, 1990

Room: International Ballroom, Cathedral Hill Hotel

------------------------------

From: Jim Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 08:50:59 -0600
Subject: A Classic Book Republished

I'm pleased to announce that the MAA SPECTRUM book series I edit has just
published a slightly revised version of Forman Acton's classic NUMERICAL
METHODS THAT usually WORK. Gene Golub and others supported our decision
to reissue this; I for one have always found it delightful, although
students always complained that it didn't tell them what to do but kept
pointing out how things could go wrong. Acton believes that numerical
computation is an art, and he exhorts the reader "to go forth to make
fruitful mistakes". I wish I knew how to restrict my mistakes to fruitful
ones, but I know that getting this book is no mistake at all. Happy
reading!

Jim Daniel

P.S. I do NOT get royalties or a fee for this or any other SPECTRUM book.

------------------------------

From: R. J. LeVeque <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 90 16:42 +0100
Subject: New Addresses for Loyce Adams and Randy LeVeque

     New addresses for Loyce Adams and Randy LeVeque

We have recently moved from Seattle to ETH in Zurich.  Our new addresses,
phone numbers, and email are as follows:

	Loyce Adams
	Inst. Wiss. Rechnen     (Institut fuer Wissenschaftliches Rechnen)
	ETH-Zentrum
	CH-8092 Zurich
	Switzerland

	   phone:	+41 1 254 7435
	   secretary:	+41 1 254 7211
	   fax:		+41 1 262 3973
	   email:	[email-masked]

	Randy LeVeque
	Sem. Angew. Math.        (Seminar fuer Angewandte Mathematik)
	ETH-Zentrum
	CH-8092 Zurich
	Switzerland

	   phone:	+41 1 256 3595
	   secretary:	+41 1 256 3465
	   fax:		+41 1 252 3401
	   email:	[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Michael Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 14:43:52 -0500
Subject: Positions at Boston University

 CNS Program at Boston University Hiring 2 Assistant Professors

Boston University seeks two tenure track assistant or associate
professors starting in Fall, 1991 for its M.A. and Ph.D. Program
in Cognitive and Neural Systems.  This program offers an
intergrated curriculum offering the full range of psychological,
neurobiological, and computational concepts, models, and methods
in the broad field variously called neural networks,
connectionism, parallel distributed processing, and biological
information processing, in which Boston University is a leader. 
Candidates should have extensive analytic or computational
research experience in modelling a broad range of nonlinear
neural networks, especially in one or more of the areas: vision
and image processing, speech and language processing, adaptive
pattern recognition, cognitive information processing, and
adaptive sensory-motor control  Candidates for associate
professor should have an international reputation in neural
network modelling.  Send a complete curriculum vitae and three
letters of recommendation to Search Committee, Cognitive and
Neural Systems Program, Room 240, 111 Cummington Street, Boston
University, Boston, MA 02215, preferably by November 15, 1990 but
no later than January 1, 1991.  Boston University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.  
Boston University (617-353-7857) Email: [email-masked]
Smail: Michael Cohen                     111 Cummington Street, RM 242
       Center for Adaptive Systems        Boston, Mass 02215
       Boston University

------------------------------

From: G. M. Homsy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 90 11:21:15 PDT
Subject: Open Position at Stanford University

FACULTY POSITION
STANFORD UNIVERSITY

Stanford University has a tenure-track faculty position open in its
Scientific Computing and Computational Mathematics (SC/CM) Program.
The appointment will be in Computer Science or joint with an aligned
Department in the School of Engineering, as appropriate.  The SC/CM
Program is an interdisciplinary graduate program offering both MS and
PhD degrees.  Research programs focus on computer simulation and/or
applied mathematical analysis of systems arising in the engineering
and applied sciences.  All areas of numerical analysis and applied
mathematics, including finite element and finite difference methods,
partial differential equations, discrete systems, and computational
and statistical physics are of interest.  The level of appointment
will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.

Stanford University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes
applications from women and minority group members.

Candidates with teaching and research interests in these areas are 
encouraged to apply by January 15, 1991.  Please send a vita, a
brief statement of research interests, and a list of references to:

Chair, Search Committee
c/o Prof. Gene Golub, Director, SC/CM Program
Dept. of Computer Science
Stanford University 
Stanford, CA 94305

------------------------------

From: Bob Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 12:10:36 EST
Subject: 1991 Householder Fellowship at Oak Ridge

	  HOUSEHOLDER FELLOWSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING

		  Mathematical Sciences Section
		  Oak Ridge National Laboratory

The Mathematical Sciences Section of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(ORNL) invites outstanding candidates to apply for the 1991 Alston S.
Householder Fellowship in Scientific Computing.

The Householder Fellowship is for a term of one year, renewable for a
second year.  Benefits of the Fellowship include a competitive salary,
fringe benefits, travel opportunities, access to state-of-the-art
computational facilities (including both parallel architectures and
high-performance personal workstations), and collaborative research
opportunities in a very active research program in advanced scientific
computing.  Competition for the appointment is open to U.S. citizens
and permanent residents.  Applicants should have completed a doctoral
degree within three years prior to the appointment and have a strong
background and research interest in large-scale scientific computing.

The Mathematical Sciences Section of ORNL has research programs in
Computational Mathematics, Computer Performance Characterization,
Applied Analysis, and Computational Statistics.  The precise research
emphasis of the Householder Fellow would necessarily depend to a great
degree on the research interests of the selected Fellow.  Areas of
particular interest at ORNL, and in which applicants would be
especially encouraged, include: computational linear algebra; partial
differential equations, with special emphasis on fluid flow through
porous media; tools for the development and analysis of parallel
programs; computational statistics; ``Grand Challenges'' in
computational science, such as global climate modeling and 
superconductivity.

Applicants should send a resume, statement of research goals, and three
letters of recommendation to Carl A. Ludemann, PhD Employment, Oak
Ridge National Laboratory, P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN, 37831-6216,
marked ``Attn: Householder Fellowship.''  The deadline for applying is
December 3, 1990, and the selection committee's decision on the winning
candidate will be announced in January 1991.  The position will
commence in 1991.

The Householder Fellowship is supported by the Applied Mathematical
Sciences Subprogram of the U.S. Department of Energy.

For further information contact Robert C. Ward by phone at 615-574-3125
or by electronic mail at [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: Horst Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 14:54:25 -0800
Subject: Open Positions at NASA Ames Research Center

POSTDOCTORAL/GRADUATE FELLOWSHIPS IN SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING AND VISUALIZATION

                   Applied Research Branch
		   Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation Systems Division
		   NASA Ames Research Center
		   Moffett Field, CA 94035

The Applied Research Branch of the Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation (NAS)
Systems Division invites outstanding candidates to apply for postdoctoral
and/or graduate fellowships in scientific computing and visualization.
Subject to final approval of funding the award of two fellowships
is anticipated.  One fellowship will be in the area of scientific 
computing on parallel supercomputers, the other on scientific visualization
and advanced user interfaces.

The Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation (NAS) Systems Division at NASA
Ames Research Center operates a national supercomputer center, with a
4-processor Cray-2, an 8-processor Cray Y-MP, a high-speed
communications network, and high-performance color graphics workstations.

Recently NAS established the Applied Research Branch, one of whose
missions is to perform state-of-the-art research in highly parallel
computation for fluid dynamics applications.  Our organization now
operates a Connection Machine CM-2, with 32,768 processing nodes and
floating-point hardware and an Intel Touchstone Gamma Prototype (iPSC/860)
with 128 i860 processors.  Each researcher in the Applied Research Branch 
is assigned a dedicated workstation with performance characteristics 
of at least a Silicon Graphics IRIS 4D/25 class. Researchers in the 
visualization area will have access to SGI 320 VGX workstations.

The purposes of the fellowship in scientific computing is to promote 
innovative research in algorithms, software, or tools on advanced 
computer architectures. The successful candidate will be expected 
to conduct a program of personal research and participate with NASA 
scientists in the actual application of his/her research project.

The purpose of the visualization fellowship is to promote and stimulate 
research in the areas of volumetric rendering, virtual environments,
parallel and distributed graphics, applications of computational geometry,
field topology extraction and display, and integrated visualization 
environments for supercomputing.

An important element of both fellowships is 
to facilitate technology transfer from our research group into the NAS
user community. Familiarity with large scale computational 
aerosciences applications, and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary
environment are desirable assets for a successful applicant.

The fellowships are for a term of one year, renewable for a second year.  
Benefits of the Fellowship include a competitive salary, fringe benefits, 
travel opportunities, access to state-of-the-art computational facilities 
(including both parallel architectures and high-performance personal 
workstations), and collaborative research opportunities in a very active 
research program in advanced scientific computing.  Competition for the 
appointment is open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.  
Postdoctoral applicants should have completed a doctoral degree in 
computer science, applied mathematics, mechanical engineering, aeronautical
engineering, or a related discipline within three years prior to the 
appointment and have a strong background and research interest in 
large-scale scientific computing. Graduate fellowship applicants should 
have completed all requirements for their degree, except the completion 
of their thesis. A graduate fellowship will include continued support for
the completion of the Ph.D. thesis in coordination with the applicant's
university.

Applicants should send a resume, a research plan, including a statement
how the proposed project could be applied to computational problems
of interest to NASA, and the names of three references to Horst D. Simon,
Mail Stop T045-1, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035.
The deadline for applications is December 14, 1990, and the selection 
committee's decision will be announced in early 1991.  The position will
commence in 1991.

For further information contact Horst Simon by electronic mail at 
[email-masked] .

------------------------------

From: Len Colgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 15:17 +1030
Subject: CTAC91 Conference in Adelaide, 15-17 July 1991.

                     CTAC91
Computational Techniques and Applications Conference

               15-17 July, 1991

          Adelaide, South Australia

    First Announcement and Call for Papers

This biennial conference provides an interactive forum for scientists,
engineers and mathematicians interested in the use and development of
more efficient computational techniques and their application to engineering,
scientific and other problems.
The conference programme will include invited lectures, contributed papers
and poster sessions. The topics of the invited and review lectures are
structured to achieve a balance between computational techniques and
applications and will be presented by distinguished overseas and Australian
research workers. The contributed papers will focus on specific research
topics and will be of a somewhat shorter duration.
The Conference Proceedings will be published in hardback form. Preprints of
all papers will be available to delegates at the conference. All sessions
will be held at The University of Adelaide situated within 5 minutes walk
of the city centre.

           Organising Committee
Assoc. Prof. B.J. Noye (Chairman)
University of Adelaide
G.P.O. Box 498
Adelaide, 5001
South Australia
Phone: (08) 228 5075    Fax: (08) 224 0227

B.R. Benjamin (Director)
S.A. Institute of Technology (University of South Australia)
The Levels, 5095
South Australia
Phone: (08) 343 3084    Fax: (08) 349 4367
Email: [email-masked]

L.H. Colgan (Treasurer)
S.A. Institute of Technology (University of South Australia)
The Levels, 5095
South Australia
Phone: (08) 343 3038    Fax: (08) 349 4367
Email: [email-masked]    or   [email-masked]

Dr. S. Elhay
University of Adelaide

Dr. W. Henderson
University of Adelaide
 
Dr. J. Kautsky
Flinders University of South Australia

L.M. Sheppard
DSTO Ordnance Systems Division

           Call For Papers
Authors are invited to submit original papers on specific research topics 
following the guidelines outlined in the preamble. An abstract of not more 
than 500 words must be submitted by 27 February 1991. Three copies of each 
abstract are required and should be sent to Assoc. Prof. B.J. Noye at the
address given below. Authors of papers accepted for presentation are required
to provide sufficient preprints for all registrants.
       Assoc.Prof. B.J. Noye
       Department of Applied Mathematics
       University of Adelaide
       G.P.O. Box 498
       Adelaide, 5001
       South Australia
       AUSTRALIA
       Phone: (08) 228 5075
       Fax  : (08) 224 0227     

          Registration
Registration will take place on the afternoon and evening of 14 July, 1991.
The registralian fee will cover the reception, morning and afternoon teas
and conference dinner. Those who would like to purchase a copy of the published
conference proceedings at discounted price should indicate on the registration 
form. The Registration fee is:
    $A200
    $A190 for AMS members
    $A125 Students
A discount of $A25 will apply to all registrations paid before 1 June 1991.

         Student Prize
A prize of $A250 will be awarded to the student who is judged to have presented
the best contributed paper.

         Accommodation
A limited amount of single room accommodation has been reserved at St. Mark's
College, a short walk from the University. Bed and breakfast at St. Mark's is
currently $A25 per day. A deposit of $A25 is required to reserve accommodation
at St. Mark's.
There is a wide choice of alternative accommodation at hotels/motels throughout
the city and surrounds all within easy reach of the University. We will provide
lists of alternative accommodation to delegates who request it, but the arrange-
-ments will be left to delegates.

Further information concerning the conference and workshops can be obtained 
from:
Len Colgan
School of Mathematics & Computer Studies
S.A. Institute of Technology (University of South Australia)
The Levels
South Australia, 5095
AUSTRALIA
Phone: (08) 343 3038    Fax: (08) 349 4367
Email: [email-masked]    or    [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------