Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 89 10:42:45 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, August 27, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 33

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     Correction for Copper Mountain Announcement
     First Great Lakes Computer Science Conference
     Wilkinson Fellowship at Argonne
     Position at Stony Brook
     Address Change for Jerzy Wasniewski
     SIAG/LA Newsletter: Request for Information
     IBM Bergen Active in Environmental Sciences
     Symmetric Discretization Problem
     Forthcoming SIAM Conferences

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Tom Manteuffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 15:51:29 mdt
Subject: Correction for Copper Mountain Announcement

Last week's NA Net News included an annoucement of a "Copper
Mountain Conference".  However, this title could lead some readers
to think of the multigrid conferences at Copper and to disregard
the message.  A more complete title would be "Copper Mountain
Conference on Iterative Methods", which would better reflect
the broader coverage of the meeting.

Tom Manteuffel

------------------------------

From: Elise deDoncker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 11:30:27 EDT
Subject: First Great Lakes Computer Science Conference

                  FIRST GREAT LAKES COMPUTER SCIENCE CONFERENCE 
                              October 18-20, 1989
                           Western Michigan University

Organization Committee:      The 1989 First Great Lakes Computer Science Confer-
                             ence is organized by the Department of Computer 
Technical Program            Science, Western Michigan University. 
  Naveed A. Sherwani         It is a broadly based conference and topics may 
Publications                 include, but are not limited to: 
  Elise de Doncker           
  John Kapenga
Finance                       Parallel Algorithms      Hypercube Algorithms 
  Alfred Boals                Graph Algorithms         VLSI Design
Tutorials                     Numerical Integration    Computer Education
  Mark Kerstetter             Numerical Linear Algebra Artificial Intelligence
Local Arrangements            Distributed Computing    Computational Chemistry
  Kenneth Williams            Software Engineering     Biological Information
  Carolyn Oberlink            Pattern Recognition          Processing 
Exhibits                         & Image Processing 
  Ben Pinkowski 

                            There will be twenty  minute talks for contributed 
  papers. The abstracts are due on  September 15, 1989. The abstracts will be 
  reproduced in the technical program. Therefore, each abstract should fit on 
  half a standard page,(4 in. X 6.5 in. wide). Each abstract should include 
  title, name of the author(s) and their affiliation(s). Please indicate the 
  speaker by an asterisk in case of multiple authors.
 
       Four copies of the full paper are due after the conference on  
  November 15th, and will be refereed by three referees. There is a limit 
  of seven pages per paper, single spaced, including figures. The notification 
  of acceptance will be mailed on or before February 15, 1990. The camera ready
  text will be due on March 15, 1990. Accepted papers will be published in the 
  conference proceedings, which will be mailed to the conference attendees.

       Only the papers presented at the conference will be considered for 
  publication in the proceedings. The papers and the abstracts should be sent 
  to the technical program  chairman Dr. Naveed Sherwani. 

       The conference program includes a number of invited talks in various   
  tracks, and parallel sessions. At present the invited speakers list 
  includes:

              Salim Akl (Queen's University)    
              Jack Dongarra (Argonne National Labs)
              Michael Fellows (University of Idaho)
              James Lyness (Argonne National Labs)
              Paul Messina (CalTech Supercomputing Division)
              John R. Rice (Purdue University) and
              Ahmed Sameh (University of Illinois).

       There will be a wine and cheese party on Wednesday evening. The 
  conference banquet will be held on Thursday evening at the Holiday Inn-West. 
  Participants are requested to register as early as possible to facilitate 
  conference arrangements.

       We have reserved a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn-West, at group rates
  below the normal rates. Contact: Holiday Inn-West, 2747 S. 11th Street,
  (616) 375-6000. Rates: $54 (single), $64 (double), if reserved by 
  October 1st, 1989.  Mention the conference name to get reduced rate.
  Transportation will be provided between the hotel and the conference center.

       Western Michigan University is the fourth largest university in Michigan
  with 25,000 student population. The Kalamazoo metro area with a population of 
  about 200,000 offers  a variety of cultural and social activities. 
  Kalamazoo is located between Chicago and Detroit on I-94. It is aproximately
  a two and one-half hour drive from either cities. Kalmazoo can also be reached
  by air using United airlines, Piedmont airlines, American airlines or 
  Northwest airlines. Kalamazoo is also served by Amtrak and Greyhound.

For further information contact: Dr. Naveed Sherwani, Department of Computer
Science, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008.
e-mail: [email-masked]
Phone:  (616) 387-5645

------------------------------

From: Jorge More <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 10:00:07 CDT
Subject: Wilkinson Fellowship at Argonne

        WILKINSON FELLOWSHIP IN COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS

            Mathematics and Computer Science Division
                   Argonne National Laboratory

Argonne National Laboratory is seeking outstanding  candidates in
the  general area of  computational mathematics  to fill the 1990 
J. H. Wilkinson Fellowship in Computational Mathematics.

This  fellowship  was  created  in  memory  of  Dr.  James  Hardy
Wilkinson,  F.R.S.,  who  for  many years had a close association
with the Mathematics and Computer Science  Division  at  Argonne,
where  he  acted  as  a  consultant  and  guiding spirit for such
efforts as the  EISPACK  and  LINPACK  projects.   The  Wilkinson
Fellowship  is  supported  by  a  special  grant from the Applied
Mathematical  Sciences  subprogram  of  the  U.S.  Department  of
Energy.

The J. H. Wilkinson Fellowship is  intended  to  encourage  young
U.S.  scientists  who  are  actively  engaged in state-of-the-art
research in computational mathematics-including, but not  limited
to,  the  development  and implementation of numerical algorithms
for linear algebra.  The candidate must  be  a  U.S.  citizen  or
permanent  resident,  must  have  earned  (or be about to earn) a
Ph.D. degree or the equivalent during the past  five  years,  and
should  have  a  strong background in numerical computation.  The
candidate should also be interested in expanding into the area of
advanced  computing research.  Argonne's Mathematics and Computer
Science Division has strong programs in computational mathematics
and  advanced  computing,  as well as in software engineering and
applied analysis.

This appointment is for one year, and may be renewed for a second
year.   It includes a highly competitive salary, moving expenses,
and a generous professional travel allotment.  Applications  from
qualified  candidates, as well as nominations for the position of
Wilkinson Fellow, should be  addressed  to  Rosalie  L.  Bottino,
Employment   and  Placement,  9700  South  Cass  Avenue,  Argonne
National  Laboratory,  Argonne,  IL   60439-4832.    Applications
should  include  a  resume and a statement of research goals, and
the names of three references.  The closing date for applications
is  December  1,  1989.   The applications will be reviewed by an
international selection committee and a  candidate  announced  in
January 1990.  The position will commence during 1990.

Further inquiries can be  made  by  calling  312-972-7162  or  by
sending electronic mail to [email-masked].

Argonne is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.

------------------------------

From: Reginald Tewarson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 15:06 EDT
Subject: Position at Stony Brook

State University of New York at Stony Brook
Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics

	The Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics
anticipates a post-doctoral and/or a tenure track Assistant Professor 
position starting January 1990. The sucessful candidate will demonstrate 
excellence in one or more of the following areas: computational fluid 
dynamics, hyperbolic conservation laws, chaos, and fluid instabilities. 
Please send a resume and statement of research and career goals to Chair, 
Applied Mathematics Department, SUNY-Stony Brook, Stony, Brook, New York 
11794. Also, please arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent. 
SUNY-Stony Brook is an EEO/AA employer.

   Reginald P. Tewarson
   Leading Professor
   Applied Math. & Stat.
   516-632-8368 or 516-751-2193

------------------------------

From: Jerzy Wasniewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 89 16:31:38 DNT
Subject: Address Change for Jerzy Wasniewski

I am moving from the Danish Computing Centre for Research and
Education (UNI-C) in Denmark to the Multiflow Computer, Inc., USA.
After August 24, 1989 I shall be available at the new address:

    Jerzy Wasniewski,
    c/o Multiflow Computer, Inc.,
    31 Business Park Drive,
    Branford, CT 06405,
    U.S.A.
    Tel: + 203 458 3287
    E-mail address:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Pamela Coxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 89 13:18:27 PDT
Subject: SIAG/LA Newsletter: Request for Information

To members of the SIAG/LA of SIAM:

Are you going on sabbatical or moving to a new location?  Have you won an
award or been appointed or elected to a new position?  Your colleagues in
SIAG/LA would like to know.  Please mail this information to me at
[email-masked].  If I receive it by the September 10, I can include it
in the next newsletter.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Yours sincerely,
Pam Coxson
Secretary, SIAG/LA
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Pat Gaffney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 17:42:26 EMT
Subject: IBM Bergen Active in Environmental Sciences

  IBM chooses Bergen for activities in Environmental Sciences

To emphasize its commitment to the environment IBM has appointed
its Bergen Scientific Centre -- as the centre for IBM's activities
within environmental modelling and as the focal point for information
on environmental activities throughout Europe.

 "IBM in Europe has long recognised the importance of
 environmental protection and we are committed to helping
 governments and other industries to develop solutions to
 environmental problems when opportunities present
 themselves and when IBM knowledge, experience
 and technology can be helpful," said Dave McKinney, president
 director general, IBM Europe. "The Bergen Scientific Centre is
 part of IBM's initiative".

Norway was chosen as the host for this international activity because
of its initiative and position in environmental protection work and because
of the close partnership between the Scientific Centre and the University of
Bergen and surrounding institutes.

The Bergen Scientific Centre, which was established in 1986, has gained an
international reputation for its work in Offshore Technology
(Reservoir and Seismic processing), Oceanographic Modelling, and Information
Technology. This new initiative will capitalize on the available expertise
and accomplishments of the Centre while at the same time strengthening and
expanding the effort to include a broader coverage of environmental work.

The main topics that will be covered by the new Environmental Sciences
activity will be:

Modelling, Databases, Remote Sensing and Mapping.

The Scientific Centre will be focal point for information on all work
conducted in the above topics both inside and outside IBM. In conjunction
with academic and industrial partners the Centre's Environmental Sciences
activity will concentrate on modelling, the coupling of databases with
modelling and simulation, and remote sensing.

A key ingredient for the success of this new activity is the cross
fertilization that is to be accomplished from the Information Technology
work conducted by the Centre. In particular Parallel Computing will
be used as a major component of the modelling and simulation work
within Environmental Sciences.

Other areas of Information Technology, that will play a key role in the
Centre's Environmental Sciences, include: Expert Systems and Databases.
By collaborating with other international scientific organizations, both
inside and outside IBM, the Scientific Centre aims to coordinate and
strengthen its own activities within Environmental Sciences while at the
same time contributing to international collaboration.

The planned expansion in the areas of modelling and databases, and the
heavy emphasis on parallel computing imply that sufficient computing
power and storage facilities are available for the Centre's staff and
partners. In this regard the main computing power of the Centre will
be tripled by expanding the Centre's IBM 3090-200 VF to an IBM 3090-400S with
4 vector facilities and 80 gigabytes of disk storage.

In addition the Centre will increase its staff to provide more student
and faculty positions.

------------------------------

From: Stanly Steinberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Aug 89 20:54:15 GMT
Subject: Symmetric Discretization Problem

I am interested in numerically solving general elliptic pde's in a 
unit cube in n-variables with general Robin boundary contitions.

   The partial differential equation:

            n
           __   d           d
           \    --   a  (x) --  f(x)  +  b(x) f(x) = g(x)
           /_   dx    ij    dx
                  i           j
           i=1
           j=1
                                   0 < x  < 1
                                        i

   The boundary conditions:

            n
           __            d
     A(x)  \   N  a  (x) --  f(x)  +  B(x) f(x) = C(x)
           /_   i  ij    dx
                           j
           i=1
           j=1

Here a(x) is a symmetric matrix and N is a vector normal to the boundary.
Of course f is to be found and a, b, g, A, B, and C are given.

Main Question: Can this problem be discretized using a nearest-neighbor
finite-difference scheme in such a way that the approximation is second
order and the resulting linear system is symmetric? First order and symmetric?

Remark: Nearest-neighbor means that the number of points in the
finite-differrence stencil is 3**n.

Remark: For n=1 the solution is easy. For n=2 or n=3, many special cases
can be done. A single algorithm is needed for the full problem class.

Question: How about a finite-element method?

Remark: The problem appears in this form because boundary-fitted
solution-adaptive grids are being used to solve a steady-state 
problem.

Professor Stanly Steinberg, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, 505 277 4733
[email-masked]    [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Michelle Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 12:14 EDT
Subject: Forthcoming SIAM Conferences

1989

September 25-28, 1989
SIAM Conference on Mathematical and
Computational Issues in Geophysical
Fluid and Solid Mechanics
Stouffer Greenway Plaza Hotel
Houston, TX

Organizers: William Fitzgibbon and Mary Wheeler, University of Houston

Plus a one-day short course (to be announced).

September 27-29, 1989
SIAM Workshop on Geophysical Inversion
Stouffer Greenway Plaza Hotel
Houston, TX

Organizer: J. Bee Bednar, Amerada Hess Corporation, Tulsa

November 6-10, 1989
SIAM Conference on Geometric Design
Sheraton Mission Palms Hotel
Tempe, AZ

Organizer: Robert Barnhill, Arizona State University

Plus a one-day short course on Interactive Computer Graphics

Organizers:  Tom Foley and Gregg Nielson, Arizona State University

December 11-13, 1989
Fourth SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing
for Scientific Computing
Hyatt Regency Hotel, Chicago, IL
Sponsored by the SIAM Activity Group on Supercomputing

Organizer: Jack J. Dongarra, Argonne National Laboratory

Plus a one-day short course (to be announced)

1990

January 22-24, 1990
ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms
Cathedral Hill Hotel
San Francisco, CA

Organizers: Fan R. K. Chung, Bell Communications Research, Inc. and David
Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories

March 5-7, 1990

SIAM Conference on Applied Probability in Science
and Engineering
Clarion Hotel
New Orleans, LA

Organizers: Bernard Matkowsky, Northwestern University, James McKenna, AT&T
Bell Laboratories, and George Shanthikumar, University of California,
Berkeley.

Abstract Deadline:  September 27, 1989

May 7-10, 1990
SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems
Marriott Hotel
Orlando, FL
Sponsored by the SIAM Activity Group on Dynamical Systems

Organizers:  Shui-Nee Chow and Harlan Stech, University of Minnesota, Duluth

Abstract Deadline:  November 28, 1989

June 11-14, 1990
Fifth SIAM Conference on Discrete Mathematics
Hyatt Regency Hotel
Atlanta, GA 
Sponsored by the SIAM Activity Group on Discrete Mathematics

Organizer: Peter Winkler, Emory University

Abstract Deadline:  January 5, 1990

July 16-20, 1990
SIAM 1990 Annual Meeting
Hyatt Regency Hotel
Chicago, IL

Organizer:  Andrzej Manitius, George Mason University

Plus a one-day short course (to be announced).

Abstract deadline: February 2, 1990

November 5-7, 1990
Second SIAM Conference on Linear Algebra in Signals, Systems and Control
Cathedral Hill Hotel
San Francisco, CA 

Sponsored by the SIAM Activity Group on Linear Algebra

Organizers:  Biswa Datta, Northern Illinois University, and David Carlson, San
Diego State University

Abstract Deadline:  May 16, 1990

1991

July 8-12, 1991
Second International Conference on Industrial and Applied Mathematics
(ICIAM 91)
Sheraton Washington Hotel
Washington, DC  

Organizer:  Robert E. O'Malley, Jr., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Plus a one-day short course (to be announced)

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------