Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 May 89 14:43:32 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, May 21, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 20

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

      Clarification (London ODE Conference)
      Numerical Inversion of a Laplace Transform
      LAA Special Issue on Algebraic Linear Algebra
      Temporary Position in Chile
      Nijmegen Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Conference
      Vacancies at RMCS, Shrivenham
      New Books from SIAM
      Complex Zeros of an Analytic Function
      Announcement for Pacific Northwest Region
      Position at Bergen Scientific Centre, Norway
      IBM Supercomputing Competition

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Roland England <[email-masked]>
Date: 15-MAY-1989 11:55:24 GMT
Subject: Clarification (London ODE Conference)

In two messages which appeared last week on this subject,
my name was given as Ronald England. I wish to make it
clear that this was, at least in one case, the result of
an error on the part of the editor, and that my name is
in fact Roland England.  [Ed. note: My apologies --Cleve]

Roland England
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Stephanie Bodoff <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 89 14:27:00 GMT
Subject: Numerical Inversion of a Laplace Transform

I would like to obtain (c or f77) source or (less preferable) an algorithm 
for performing numerical inversion of a Laplace Transform.

Thanks in advance,
  Stephanie Bodoff
  Apollo Computer Inc.
  ARPA: [email-masked] (preferred)        
  UUCP: ...{decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!bodoff
  USPS: Apollo Computer, 330 Billerica Rd. Chelmsford MA 01824

------------------------------

From: Hans Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 89 11:52:40 cdt
Subject: LAA Special Issue on Algebraic Linear Algebra

                 LINEAR ALGEBRA AND ITS APPLICATIONS

                            Special issue on
                        ALGEBRAIC LINEAR ALGEBRA

This is to announce a special issue of Linear Algebra and its Applications
entitled ALGEBRAIC LINEAR ALGEBRA.  It will be devoted to  the interaction 
between algebraic matrix theory and the rest of algebra.  Examples 
of the types of papers we seek are:

1. Generalizations of classical matrix theory (such as module theory or linear 
algebra over rings) or the use of such generalizations to solve 
problems in classical linear algebra.

2. Use of algebraic linear algebra in coding theory, control theory,
cryptography, group matrices, and other areas.

3. Extensions of algebraic linear algebra itself that have been suggested by
such applications (e.g. new matrix problems).

This  issue  is open to all and papers will be refereed in  the  usual way.
The  deadline  for submission is August  1990, with expected
publication approximately one year later.  Authors should submit three copies  
of  the manuscript  (prepared  according  to  the  guidelines described  in
"Information for Authors" published in every  issue  of LAA) to one of the
following special editors:

Robert M. Guralnick
Department of Mathematics 
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089-1113 
email: [email-masked]

William H. Gustafson 
Department of Mathematics 
Texas Tech University 
Lubbock, TX 79409

Lawrence S. Levy 
Department of Mathematics 
University of Wisconsin 
Madison, WI 53706 
email: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: John R. Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 89 15:06:40 EST
Subject: Temporary Position in Chile

                   EXPERIENCED NUMERICAL ANALYST

            UNITED NATIONS PROJECT IN SANTIAGO, CHILE

            3-4 MONTHS STARTING IN AUG. TO OCT., 1989

We are looking for a numerical analyst (ODE's and parabolic PDE's) to
work for a project funded by the United Nations, and to collaborate with
colleagues at the Department of Mathematics of Catholic University of Chile,
Santiago, Chile. The appointment would be for a period of 3 to 4 month, 
starting between August and October 1989 (spring time). We pay a reasonable 
salary and traveling expenses for the selected candidate. Local computing 
facilities include a network of 6 Apollo workstations (one of which is
an Apollo 10000 with 3 CPU's) dedicated to the project, and general university
computing facilities (VAX-VMS). The position would be very suitable for 
someone in sabbatical leave. 

Interested persons please contact

Airmail:
		Dr. Ivan Huerta
		Departamento dfe Matematicas
		Universidad Catolica de Chile
		Casilla 6177, Santiago 22
		Chile.

uucp-mail       [email-masked] (not too reliable)

Fax	        52-2-5525698  (Area code country-city-phone number)		

------------------------------

From: Victor Eijkhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 89 10:41:44 MET
Subject: Nijmegen Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Conference

                CONFERENCE ON PRECONDITIONED
                 CONJUGATE GRADIENT METHODS

To celebrate the 13th, the 17th, 31st, and 37th birthdays
of the Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Method a
conference will be held at the University of
Nijmegen, the Netherlands, on June 19-21, 1989.
Prior to the conference there will be a short course on
PCG methods on June 15-17, 1989.

Invited presentations wil be given by
 Robert Beauwens, Peter Deuflhard, Richard Ewing, Ivar Gustafsson,
 Lennart Johnson, David Kincaid, Ahmed Sameh, Henk van der Vorst,
 and Harry Yserentant.
In addition there will be a number of contributed talks.
The deadline for submitting abstracts
(one to two pages) for contributed talks is May 26, 1989.
Notification of acceptance will be given by June 1, 1989.

 Transportation

For people flying to the Netherlands: Nijmegen is easily
reached by train from the airports of Amsterdam, Brussels,
Dusseldorf, and Frankfurt. These connections require
changing trains once.

The university can be reached by public transportation
from the hotels in the city, and there are sufficient
parking lots on the campus.

 Hotels

The conference organisation has options on rooms
in four hotels at reduced rates,
Hotel Altea
   single room f100--f110 double room f145
Hotel Atlanta
   single room f70--f75   double room f110
Hotel Wienerhof
   single room f60--f65   double room f95
Hotel Rozenhof (located outside the city center,
    a 20 minutes walk to the university)
   double room f90
Prices include breakfast.
A room will be reserved for you upon prepayment
of the conference fee. You will receive
confirmation of the reservation and information
including a local area map.

 Payment

In order to reserve a room at the reduced rates, your
registration must reach us before May 26,
and the prepayment of the conference fee of f150
before June 2.
(The present exchange rate is US$1=f2.13.)
The conference fee is f180 if paid
after June 2. This fee includes refreshments at coffeebreaks,
and the conference programme containing the abstracts.
For the short course fees are f200 (before June 2), or
f250, thereafter. The fee includes lecture notes,
two lunches, and refreshments during breaks.

 Information

For further information
- call the Netherlands (0)80-612986
  (secretary of the Mathematics Department)
- email Victor Eijkhout: [email-masked]
- write to
     O. Axelsson
     Department of Mathematics
     Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
     University of Nijmegen
     Toernooiveld 5
     NL  6525 ED  Nijmegen
     the Netherlands

Registration Form

I wish to register for the PCG conference.
    Family name:
    First name and initial:
    Affiliation:
    Address:
    City and postal code:
    Country:
    Phone:
    El. mail:

[ ] Please reserve a single/double room for me
    at the hotel:
    Arrival date:
    Departure date:

Payment by [ ] Banktransfer on account 42.66.13.783
               i.f.o Prof. dr. A.O.H. Axelsson
               Amro Bank, Keizer Karelplein,
               Postbus 79, 6500 AB Nijmegen
               the Netherlands
               (postgiro account: 848700)
           [ ] Postgiro account 4393790
               Hr. A.O.H. Axelsson, Nijmegen
           [ ] Eurocheque             [ ] enclosed
           [ ] Travellers cheque      [ ] enclosed

There is an additional charge of f9 for all foreign
cheques, including travellers cheques.
This reservation is binding.

Please note:
-this reservation must reach us before May 26, and the prepayment
 before June 2 for reduced rates to be applicable.
-if the hotel of your preference is booked full, we will
 reserve a room in the next higher class, unless you specify
 otherwise.

Place and date:

Signature:

Send the completed form (with enclosed cheque, if applicable)
to:
     J. Maubach
     Department of Mathematics
     Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
     University of Nijmegen
     Toernooiveld 5
     NL  6525 ED  Nijmegen
     the Netherlands

------------------------------

From: Joyce Aitchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 89  13:26 BST
Subject: Vacancies at RMCS, Shrivenham

Lecturing and Research Posts.

Applied and Computational Mathematics Group - RMCS (Cranfield).

RMCS (Cranfield) is a faculty of the Cranfield Institute of Technology but 
situated at the Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham, in a rural 
setting in Oxfordshire. The College is 23 miles west of Oxford and 7 miles 
east of Swindon. RMCS provides undergraduate and postgraduate courses for 
both military and civilian students. The academic staff are civilians and 
are appointed on normal university terms.

The Applied and Computational Mathematics group has teaching and research 
interests in a wide range of topics in physical applied mathematics and 
numerical analysis. Several vacancies have arisen in our strong and 
expanding lecturing, research and consultancy programme. Applications are 
invited form graduates in a mathematical science with experience in such 
fields as mathematical modelling and numerical analysis.

LECTURER:

There is a vacancy for a lecturer with responsibilities within a wide range 
of further education courses, including undergraduate degrees in science 
and engineering and M Sc courses in mathematical modelling and numerical 
methods. The post will be for three years in the first instance but there 
is a strong possibility that the post will be made permament.

RESEARCH FELLOW:

A three-year, or possibly permament, appointment for a person of post-
doctoral or equivalent standing who would participate in research 
developments and should be adaptable to new requirements.

RESEARCH OFFICERS:

Two posts of two or three years duration are available for a variety of 
applicable mathematical projects. Specific openings exist in the areas of 
computational fluid dynamics, magnetohydrodynamics and finite elements.

Application forms and further details may be obtained from
Personal Office, RMCS(Cranfield), Shrivenham, Swindon SN6 8LA
tel (0793) 785403/ 785421.

Informal enquiries may be made to me :

email   AITCHISON @ UK.AC.CRANFIELD.RMCS

telephone  (0793) 785276.

Joyce Aitchison,
Applied and Computational Mathematics Group,
RMCS.

------------------------------

From: Kathleen LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 89 11:27 EDT
Subject: New Books from SIAM

TITLE:   Stochastic Processes in the Neurosciences
EDITOR:  Henry C. Tuckwell
SERIES:  CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics No. 56
         
         136 pages, softcover, ISBN 0-89871-232-7, May 1989
	LIST PRICE:  $24.50

This monograph is centered on the quantitative analysis of nerve-cell
behavior.  The work is foundational, with many higher order problems still
remaining, especially in connection with neural networks.  Thoroughly
addressed topics include stochastic problems in neurobiology, and the
treatment of the theory of related Markov processes.
	
Special features include systems of nonlinear stochastic partial differential
equations and the pertubative approach to their solutions; comprehensive
treatment of channel noise; and statistical analysis of point processes;
Wiener kernel explanations.

Mathematicians, especially probabilists and statisticians interested in new
applications, will appreciate Tuckwell's work, as will neurobiologists. 
Background requirements include intermediate probability and related
mathematics, as well as a rudimentary knowledge of neurophysiology.

CONTENTS:  Deterministic Theories and Stochastic Phenomena in Neurobiology;
Synaptic Transmission; Early Stochastic Models for Neuronal Activity Including
Poisson Processes and Random Walks; Discontinuous Markov Processes with
Exponential Decay; One-dimensional Diffusion Processes; Stochastic  Partial
Differential Equations; The Statistical Analysis of Stochastic Neural
Activity; Channel Noise; Wiener Kernel Expansions; The Stochastic Activity of
Neuronal Populations

============

TITLE:   Parallel Processing and Medium Scale Multiprocessors
SERIES:  Proceedings in Applied Mathematics
EDITOR:  Arthur Wouk, Mathematical Sciences Division, Army Research Office

         216 pages, softcover, ISBN 0-89871-238-6, June 1989
         LIST PRICE:  $31.50

The papers in this book represent those presented at the ARO research workshop
on Parallel Processing and Medium Scale Multiprocessors held at Stanford
University in January 1986.  The workshop brought together research workers
with strong connections to scientific computation as well as an interest in
the systems programming problems that are restricting the application of the
new hardware being developed.  

This volume contains papers covering several areas, including systems
programming, parallel language/programming systems, and applications
programming.  The work reported includes investigations into debugging of
operating systems, portability of applications programs and parallel operating
systems, efficient resource allocation in multiprocessors, parallel constructs
for applications programming languages, and applications programming efforts
on diverse architectures.  These papers can provide helpful guidance for those
wishing to explore the new territory of automatic optimal parallelization of
sequentially conceived programs.

This book will be a useful guide for all researchers having an interest in
scientific computation, especially those wishing to explore more thoroughly
the problems involved in automatic optimization in the compilation of parallel
programs.

CONTENTS:  Debugging Multi-Task Programs, Morven Gentleman and Darlene
Stewart; Matrix Computations and Game Playing on the iPSC, Cleve Moler and
David Scott; A System for Parallel Processing, P. O'Leary, G.W. Stewart, and
Robert van de Geijn; Statistical Methodologies for the Control of Dynamic 
Remapping, Joel Saltz and David Nicol; Sparse Cholesky Factorization on a
Local-Memory Multiprocessor, Alan George, Michael Heath, Joseph Liu and Esmond
Ng; Concurrent Global Optimization on a Network of Computers, Richard Byrd, 
Cornelius Dert, Alexander Rinooy Kan, and Robert Schnabel; Heterogeneous
Processes on Homogeneous Procesors, George Cybenko, David Krumme, K.N.
Venkataraman and A. Couch; Matrix Multiplication on Boolean Cubes using 
Generic Communication Primitives, Lennart Johnsson and Ching-Tien Ho; The
Force on the Flex: Global Parallelism and Portability, Harry Jordan; SCHEDULE:
An Aid to Programming Explicitly Parallel Algorithms in Fortran, J. Dongarra 
and D.C. Sorenson; Dynamic Grid Manipulation for PDEs on Hypercube Parallel
Processors, William D. Gropp; Solving Compressible Euler Equations on a
Hypercube Simulator, Jung Pyo Hong, Bob Tomlinson, and Nisheeth Patel

FOR ORDERING INFORMATION AND REVIEW COPIES (USA ONLY), PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN 
LE BLANC AT SIAM. Phone: (215)564-2929; E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Robert G Kaires <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 89 02:09:30 GMT
Subject: Complex Zeros of an Analytic Function

I am looking for a FORTRAN routine to find the complex zeros of an
Analytic function in the complex plane.  I know that there is an IMSL
routine called ZANLYT which uses Muller's method.  The problem is: we
don't seem to have IMSL at this university.  Can someone email me a
routine they've written (and hopefully tested) that can accomplish this?
Another related question:  is IMSL public domain??  Are these routines
available in source?
Thanks in advance for all help.
Bob Kaires
Clemson University, Clemson, SC

------------------------------

From: Manfred Trummer <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 89 15:02 -0700
Subject: Announcement for Pacific Northwest Region
    
                         PNWNAS 1989

  The Third Annual Pacific Northwest Numerical Analysis Seminar will
be held on
                   Saturday, September 23, 1989
at
                   Simon Fraser University 
                   Burnaby, British Columbia.

The format of the meeting will be the same as the first two meetings
in Seattle and Bellingham.  We will have five invited 45 minute
presentations, and ample time for informal discussions.  A small
registration fee will cover the cost of lunch and refreshments.
So far the list of speakers is as follows.

  Professor Feng Gao
  Computer Science Department
  University of British Columbia

  Professor Randy LeVeque
  Mathematics Department
  University of Washington

  Professor Tjalling Ypma
  Mathematics Department
  Western Washington University

For more information, or to get on the mailing list, please 
contact  <na.trummer>.
                                 Manfred Trummer

------------------------------

From: Pat Gaffney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 89 13:26:03 EMT
Subject: Position at Bergen Scientific Centre, Norway

           BERGEN SCIENTIFIC CENTRE - AVAILABLE POSITION

           Distributed parallel processing under UNIX

Bergen Scientific Centre, IBM, runs a network of UNIX System V workstations
(IBM RTs and PS/2s) connected on several LANs. Additionally, there are
connections to an IBM 3090 and other networks eg ARPA and EARN.

We are looking for a scientist who is interested in some aspects of
parallel computing (preferably with a numerical bias) who will also use
his/her UNIX experience to assist in supervising and supporting our UNIX
systems group.

We are also implementing a version of UNIX on our IBM mainframe.

We are looking for UNIX system experience to assist in this and to help
create an environment where UNIX commands can be executed on either the
workstation or mainframe (or both) with a minimum of user interference.

This appointment will be for a period of one or two years.

Several years UNIX system experience is essential, as is some research
activity in parallel processing.

Additionally, experience with the following would be desirable:

                            X-Windows
                            Networking
                    Distributed file systems
                            VM-CMS

Bergen provides a pleasant environment in the heart of the Western
Fjords of Norway with excellent opportunities for outdoor pursuits
especially skiing, and water-sports. The centre is English speaking
and provides a friendly and flexible environment for scientists of
many different backgrounds.

Contact Chris Thompson at either of the electronic mail addresses:

                   THOMPSON AT KRYPTON.BSC.NO
or
                    FSCCT AT NOBERGEN.BITNET

or contact Patrick Gaffney:

                      PAT AT KRYPTON.BSC.NO
                    FSCPG AT NOBERGEN.BITNET

------------------------------

From: Alan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 89 06:21:31 PDT
Subject: IBM Supercomputing Competition

              1989 IBM 3090 SUPERCOMPUTING COMPETITION ANNOUNCEMENT
                                 April 24, 1989

 The  IBM  Corporation  and  IBM  Canada  Ltd.  announces  the  1989  IBM  3090
 Supercomputing Competition. This is a contest for technical papers on advances
 in Numerically Intensive Computing.

 IBM will award cash prizes directly to the authors of papers  describing  work
 done on IBM 3090 systems, including:

    o  Leading edge uses of large scale computers
    o  Innovative applications or algorithms

 IBM  employees  and  their  immediate family members are not eligible for this
 competition.

 First, second and third prizes of $25,000, $15,000 and $10,000 will be awarded
 in each of four divisions:

    1. Physical sciences and mathematics
    2. Engineering
    3. Life and health sciences
    4. Social sciences, humanities and fine arts

 Universities that support the work of First Prize Papers in each division will
 be awarded an additional $10,000  if  the  authors  certify  that  substantive
 support was provided.

 An  abstract  must    be registered by October  2,  1989 and the paper must be
 submitted by January 15, 1990. Award winners in each division will be selected
 by a panel of independent judges. Winners will be announced by March 1,  1990.
 The Awards will be distributed by May 1, 1990.

 A promotional flyer, a General Information Brochure including the Registration
 Form,   Certificate   of   Originality,   and   Academic  Institution  Support
 Certification and two poster sizes are available.  Small quantities are  being
 sent to each Branch Office.

 For information on submission of papers, contact your Area Technical Computing
 Manager, Managers of ACIS Marketing  or:  Milton Thrasher, Competition Admin.,
 T/L  236-6318;RHQVM01(MTHRASH)  IBM  S&TC,  Department 72/BNG, 44 S. Broadway,
 White Plains, NY 10601-4495 (914) 686-6318

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------