Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 89 08:40:54 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, March 12, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 10

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     NCSA (Univ. Illinois) Conference on Parallel and Vector Processing
     PDE position at Argonne
     Euler's constant
     More on Kerner's Method for Polynomial Root Finding
     Durand-Kerner's Method.
     Kalman Filtering and Quality Control
     Chaos on PC's

-------------------------------------------------------

From: John Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 11:22:48 CST
Subject: NCSA (Univ. Illinois) Conference on Parallel and Vector Processing

NCSA Second Conference on Parallel 
and Vector Processing                May 8-10, 1989

The goal of the NCSA Second Conference 
on Parallel and Vector Processing is to 
provide information to the participants on 
the latest developments in parallel and 
vector architecture, applications, algorithms, 
performance, and programming environments.

Monday, May 8, 1989
	
	Keynote Address 	David Kuck, CSRD

	Architectures	
	CRAY-2 				Robert Numrich, CRI
	CRAY Y-MP			Ram Gupta, CRI
	ETA10				Cliff Arnold, ETA
	Myrias 				Martin Walker, Myrias
	CEDAR		 		Kyle Gallivan, CSRD
	NCUBE		 		Doup Harless, NCUBE
	CM-2				Jill Mesirov, Thinking Machines
	
	Visualization Theatre		Maxine Brown, UIC

Tuesday, May 9, 1989	

	Performance Evaluation	
	Perfect Club 			Michael Berry, CSRD

	Applications	
	QCD 				Dennis Duke, FSU
	Device simulation	        Karl Hess, CSL-UI
	CFD 				Karl-Heinz Winkler, LANL
	Weather modelling 	        Robert Wilhelmson, NCSA
	Biology 			Michael Ess, Intel
	Chemistry 			Jan Andzelm, CRI
	
	Visualization Theatre     	Donna Cox, NCSA

Wednesday, May 10, 1989	

	Programmer's Environment	
	Parallel Computing Forum 	Bruce Leasure, KAI
	Autotasking  			Mark Furtney, CRI
	Development environment 	Daniel Reed, DCL-UI
	
	Numerical Algorithms	
	LAPACK				Jack Dongarra, Argonne
	Multitasked libraries 		Qasim Sheikh, CRI
	Algorithm development	 	Ahmed Sameh, CSRD
	Matrix solvers on CM-2		Creon Levit, NASA
	Algorithms for Transputers	Ron Cok, Kodak
	
For additional information  
Call Michael Welge, Manager of the parallel 
processing program at NCSA (217) 244-1999 
or email [email-masked] (Internet)  
or 13016@ncsavmsa (Bitnet)

------------------------------

From: Jack Dongarra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 89 16:18:06 CST
Subject: PDE position at Argonne

The Mathematics and Computer Science (MCS) Division of Argonne
National Laboratory invites applications for a regular staff
position in the area of advanced scientific computing, with emphasis
on the numerical solution of partial differential equations.

Applicants with a Ph.D. in (applied) mathematics or computer
science will be given preference; however outstanding candidates 
with degrees from other disciplines will be considered.  The 
position requires extensive knowledge of numerical methods for 
partial differential equations, research experience in at least 
one application area, and a strong interest in advanced (parallel) 
architectures and state-of-the-art visualization techniques.  Several 
years of research experience beyond the doctorate are desirable, as is
familiarity with advanced architectures and visualization techniques.  
Applicants must have an established record of research accomplishments, 
as evidenced by publications in refereed journals and conference 
proceedings.

The MCS Division offers a stimulating environment for basic
research.  Current research programs cover areas of applied
analysis, computational mathematics, and software engineering, with
emphasis on advanced scientific computing.  The division operates
the Advanced Computing Research Facility (ACRF), which comprises a
network of advanced-architecture computers, ranging from an
8-processor Alliant FX/8 to a 16,384-processor Connection Machine
CM-2, and a graphics laboratory.  A network of Sun workstations
supports the general computing needs of the division. 
Argonne's central computing facilities include a CRAY X/MP-14; 
additional access to supercomputers is provided through the major 
networks.

Argonne is a multipurpose national laboratory operated by the
University of Chicago for the U.S. Department of Energy.  It is
located about 25 miles southwest of Chicago. 

For consideration, send detailed resume to Rosalie L. Bottino,
Employment and Placement, Box J-MCS-37017-83, Argonne National
Laboratory, 9700 S. Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL  60439.  For more
technical information, contact Dr. Hans G. Kaper, Director, MCS
Division at 312-972-7162 ([email-masked]).  Argonne is an equal 
opportunity/affirmative action employer.  Women and minorities are 
especially encouraged to apply. 

Applications will be considered until the position is filled.

------------------------------

From: David Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 89 08:09:58 PST
Subject: Euler's constant

I have computed Euler's constant to high precision in conjunction with
some studies of possible interrelationships between fundamental
constants of mathematics, using Ferguson's algorithm.  The method I
used was described in my paper "Numerical Results on the Transcendence
of Constants Involving Pi, E, and Gamma", Mathematics of Computation,
Vol. 20, No. 181 (January 1988), p. 275-281.  I also have a more
recent paper on the subject that is due to appear in Mathematics of
Computation later this year.  If you do not have access to MOC, let me
know and I will send you copies.

The scheme is basically the formulas

                  inf             m
          2^n     ---   2^{mn}   ---   1
gamma  = -------- \    --------  \   -----   -   n log 2  +  O(2^{-n} e^{-2^n})
          e^{2^n} /     (m+1)!   /    t+1
                  ---            ---
                  m=0            t=0

          inf
          ---     1
log 2  =  \  ---------------
          /  (2k-1) 3^{2k-1}
          ---
          k=1

Using these formulas, the value of gamma to 180 decimal places is

10 ^        -1 x  5.77215664901532860606512090082402431042159335939923598805
7672348848677267776646709369470632917467495146314472498070824809605040144865
428362241739976449235362535124891846368268539179580310

David H. Bailey
Mail Stop 258-5
NASA Ames Research Center
Moffett Field, CA 94035
Telephone: 415-694-4410
E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Murli Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1989 13:51 EST
Subject: More on Kerner's Method for Polynomial Root Finding

In NA Digest <Jan 29, 1989  Vol 89:No.4>, Lee Dickey asked about Kerner's
method. A new book just landed on my desk that contains a reference to this
method. The book is: Precise Numerical Analysis by Oliver Aberth,
                     W.C. Brown Publ., 1988.
This is the first book I have found to contain a reference to Kerner.
I quote from page 91:
    The method of refining zero approximations by formula (6.30) was
    discovered independently by Durand,E. [Solutions Numeriques des
    Equations Algebriques, Tome 1, Equations du type F(x)=0. Racines
    d'un Polynome, Masson, Paris, 1960, 277-280] and Kerner, I.O.
    [Numer. Math. 18(1966), 290-294]. The formula (6.30) can also be
    used to obtain zero approximations [Aberth, O., Math. Comp. 27(1963)
    339-344], but this is not as efficient as the other methods given
    in this chapter.

Kerner's paper was reviewed by J.F. Traub in Math Rev.: MR34 #3778.
Another of her paper appeared in Z.A.M.M. Vol 47 (1967), pp 549-550
and was reviewed by H.E. Fettis in MR 39 #3696.
Her Ph.D. thesis(1961) was reviewed by G.Meinardus in MR 32 #2801.

Murli Gupta                                          202/994-4857
Department of Mathematics                        [email-masked]
                                    [email-masked]
George Washington University, Washington, D.C. 20052

------------------------------

From: Kaj Madsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 89 10:32:41 +0100
Subject: Durand-Kerner's Method.

  January 27 L.J.Dickey requested information on 'Kerner's Method'. Since
the method may be of general interest I send this message to the net.
First of all, Durand actually introduced 'Kerner's Method' six years 
before the paper by Kerner appeared and more information can be found
in the paper by G.Kjellberg (BIT 24:4 1984) and the one by H.Guggenheimer
(BIT 26:4 1986).

  The resemblance with Newton's Method is easily explained: It IS Newton's
Method applied to the non-linear system which describes the roots in terms
of the coeffients of the polynomial.

  Joergen Sand,DIKU,Copenhagen (using the adress of na.madsen).

------------------------------

From: Samir Chettri <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Mar 89 19:18:06 GMT
Subject: Kalman Filtering and Quality Control

I have been trying to find out if any work has been done in applying
the Kalman Filter to the Statistical Quality Control Problem at all.
If so, are there any references, books etc. that are available ???

Also on a related note, what is the text/paper that gives a good
and clear exposition on the Kalman Filter especially from the
Multivariate Statistical/Least Squares view point ??

Thanks.

Samir Chettri ([email-masked])

------------------------------

From: Luciano Molinari <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 89 11:24 +0100
Subject: Chaos on PC's

Does anybody know anything about Chaos theory demonstration programs
for MS-DOS PC's?
Thanks for helping,
Luciano Molinari.

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------