Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 88 15:01:33 PDT

NA Digest   Sunday, April 17, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 16

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:
 
     Opening at Digital Equipment Corp.
     Gordon Research Conference

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Chandrika Kamath <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Apr 88 14:36
Subject: Opening at Digital Equipment Corp.

			    Immediate Opening

	LABORATORY DATA PRODUCTS GROUP -- DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION
	
			Marlborough, Massachusetts

	We have an immediate opening for an applied mathematician at the
Ph. D. or masters level in the area of high performance math libraries for
science and engineering applications on vector and parallel architectures. 
The candidate should have applications development experience in one or more 
of the following areas: numerical linear algebra, optimization, or signal 
processing. A good programming background (FORTRAN) is necessary. Only recent
graduates are to be considered for this position, i.e. people who have not 
had a previous full-time industrial position.

Please send resume to Mr. Buren Hoffman, Laboratory Data Products Group,
Digital Equipment Corporation, 2 Results Way, Box 1002, Marlborough, Mass.
01752. Digital Equipment Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.

------------------------------

From: John Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 88 11:51:16 PDT
Subject: Gordon Research Conference

                Modeling of Flow in Permeable Media
                    A Gordon Research Conference
                     Plymouth State College (S)
                      Plymouth, New Hampshire
                         August 15-19, 1988

    Mailing Address:  J. B.  Bell,  Mail  Stop  L-316,  Lawrence
    Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA   94550

    J. B. Bell -- Chairman
    R. Ehrlich -- Vice-chairman
    W. B. Lindquist -- Vice-chairman
    J. C. Parker -- Vice-chairman

                            ANNOUNCEMENT

         A Gordon Research Conference entitled "Modeling of Flow
    in  Permeable  Media" will be held at Plymouth State College
    (S), Plymouth, New Hampshire, August 15-19, 1988.  The  pur-
    pose  of  the  meeting  is  to discuss current issues in the
    modeling of fluid flow in permeable media.  Our goal  is  to
    bring together scientists and engineers from various discip-
    lines who have a common interest in these problems.  Invited
    speakers   from   the   natural  sciences,  engineering  and
    mathematics will cover the subject from a  broad-based  per-
    spective, setting the framework for active discussions among
    the participants.

         Specific topics to  be  discussed  include:  Stochastic
    Approaches to Modeling Heterogeneous Porous Media (John Wil-
    son,  Alan  Gutjahr,  Lynn  Gelhar,  Chris  Milly,   Georges
    Vachaud),  Stochastic  Numerical Methods (Chris Farmer, Mike
    King, Dan Rothman),  Deterministic  Approaches  to  Modeling
    Heterogeneous  Porous  Media  (Mike  Christie, Clint Dawson,
    Fred Molz), Modeling of Foam Displacement (Ray  Flummerfeld,
    Frank  Kovarik,  Clay  Radke), Viscous Fingering (Bud Homsy,
    Y.C. Yortsos, Lynn Orr), Application of  Fractal  Theory  to
    Porous Media Flow (Tom Hewett, Wolfgang Kinzelbach), Flow in
    Fractured Media (Les Smith), Mathematical Aspects of Polymer
    Flooding  (Ragnar  Winther),  Microgeometry  of Porous Media
    (James Berryman) and Parameter Estimation (Ted Watson, David
    Russo).

         This conference will be of interest to all  researchers
    concerned  with  the  various  aspects  of flow phenomena in
    porous media.  In addition to the invited  talks,  a  poster
    session  is  planned.   Those  interested in giving a poster
    presentation should send an abstract to the chairman at  the
    above address.

         The format of the conference will be informal,  focused
    on  open discussion and exchange of ideas.  Sessions will be
    held in the morning and evening, with the afternoons devoted
    to  informal  discussions or recreation.  Attendance is lim-
    ited to about 120 people, and all participants are  required
    to attend the entire conference.  The conference fee will be
    $310.00, which includes meals and lodging.   Those  desiring
    to  attend the conference may request an application by con-
    tacting the conference office:

                        Dr. A. Cruickshank, Director
                        Gordon Research Center
                        University of Rhode Island
                        Kingston, RI   02811-0801
                        Phone: (401) 783-4011 or 783-3372

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------