Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 88 10:22:10 PST

NA Digest   Saturday, March 5, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 10

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:
 
     Finding Degenerate Eigenvectors
     Numerical Analysis Course Numbering
     Gateaux
     Re: Triangulation of 2-d domains
     Request for DAE test problems
     Supercomputing '88 Conference

-------------------------------------------------------

>From: Xiao-He Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 88 04:48:15 PST
Subject: Finding Degenerate Eigenvectors

Hi, netters,

  I am looking for an algorithm, or better a subroutine I can call,
to find all DEGENERATE eigenvectors of a general real or complex 
matrix of size < 10 x 10.  I have tried those subroutines for GENERAL
real or complex matrices in LINPACK, EISPACK and IMSL.  They give me
correct eigenvalues and both left and right eigenvectors when the
matrix is not degenerate, i.e when all eigenvectors are different.
However, they give me at best identical eigenvectors for the degenerated
eigenvalue, which is incomplete for my problem; or something does not
make sense at all.  I searched LINPACK and EISPACK for the keyword
"degenerate".  Nothing appropriate was found.
  If any of you have some suggestion, please e-mail it to me as I do not
read netnews as often as I SHOULD.  Thank you for your help.

  Sincerely, 

  Xiao-He Zhang  ||    [email-masked] | [email-masked]

------------------------------

>From: Kris Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 88 05:00:04 PST
Subject: Numerical Analysis Course Numbering

I belong to a Math Sciences Department which includes as separate
groups: Math, Applied Math, Statistics, Math Education and Computer
Science. I teach Numerical Analysis and am a member of the computer
science group (as a developer of mathematical software this is where
I felt most comfortable). In response to a department review from last
year, we are renaming computer science courses within the department
as CS ###, primarily to aid students in CS whose transcripts don't
immediately reflect CS. I have always felt Numerical Analysis should
be placed in between Applied Math and Computer Science and would like
the course double numbered, i.e. the same course would appear in the
catalog as CS ### and MATH ###. The computer science group is in favor
of this, some in the math groups are vehemently opposed, offerring
the justification that 'other schools' put Numerical Analysis in the
Math Department.

I would really like to hear the opinion of other practicing Numerical
Analysts on how things are done at your University. Perhaps also, how
you wish things were done at your University.

Thanks,
Kris Stewart
Department of Mathematical Sciences
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182     (619-942-1012)
([email-masked] or [email-masked])

------------------------------

>From: R. G. Bartle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 1 Mar 88 11:23:54-EST
Subject: Gateaux

     For some time I have felt uneasy about the circumflex in Gateaux' name,
since I notice that it does not appear on (at least some of) his papers.
     I checked with the grand dragon, J. Dieudonne', who reports that
Gateaux' name appears on the official roster of all alumni of the Ecole Normale
Sup. who were killed in WW I, and that his name appears WITHOUT a circumflex.
Dieudonne' writes: "I think this clinches the matter."  So do I.
     I never thought that Gateaux was a piece of cake.

------------------------------

>From: Adrian Baddeley <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Mar 88 23:47:16 GMT
Organization: CSIRO, Div. of Maths and Stats, Lindfield, Aust.
Subject: Re: Triangulation of 2-d domains

In article Volume 88, #8, [email-masked] (Cleve Ashcraft) writes:

	>I am interested in ordering sparse matrices arising from 2-d finite
	>element problems which use linear triangular elements. The density
	>of the grid points in the domain should be roughly equal throughout
	>the domain, and the triangularization should be "good". The
	>triangularization should exhibit no apparent regularity, this last
	>property is very important.

Try using the Delaunay triangulation, e.g.
	Lee D.T. and Schachter B J, Two algorithms for
	constructing a Delaunay triangulation, 
	Int. J. Comput. Inform. Sci. 9 (1980) 219-242.

	Green P J and Sibson R , Computing Dirichlet tessellations in
	the plane. Computer J. 21 (1978) 168-173.

Given a finite set of points in the plane, this produces a triangulation
(of the convex hull of the points) which uses the given points as 
the triangle vertices. So you can produce the type of regularity you want 
by strewing points in some quasi-regular manner over your plane region.

There is an engineer/programmer called S.W.Sloan from the University of 
Newcastle (Australia) who has written and used Delaunay triangulation 
algorithms for finite element problems. The algorithms are published but, 
sorry, I don't have the reference to hand.

                  [email-masked]    
Adrian Baddeley, CSIRO Division of Mathematics & Statistics, Sydney, Australia.
PO Box 218, Lindfield NSW 2070, Australia.  Phone: +61 2 467 6062 (24 hrs) 

------------------------------

>From: Y. F. Chang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 88 11:11 PST
Subject: Request for DAE test problems

This is a request for multiple-constraint problems, or DAE's with
more than one algebraic equation.

I have just finished writing and testing a program to solve
multiple-constraint problems.  It was tested on a compound
pendulum, where a second pendulum hangs from the first, which
in turn hangs from the ceiling.  I shall next test the program
on a coupled pendulum, where the energy transfers back and forth
between a pair of pendula.

I seek additional examples for test of robustness.

Since my BITNET address is new to the system, some nodes may not
recognize the 'CLAREMONT.EDU'.  In that case, try

[email-masked]

If you prefer the USMail, try

Y. F. Chang
976 W. Foothill Blvd
# 298
Claremont, CA, 91711

------------------------------

>From: George Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 88 22:23:51 EST
Subject: Supercomputing '88 Conference

                       SUPERCOMPUTING '88

                      November 14-18, 1988
                         Hyatt Orlando
                     Kissimmee, Florida, USA

                         Sponsored by:
          Computer Society of the IEEE and ACM SIGARCH

                      In Cooperation with:
Argonne National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory,
Los Alamos National Laboratory, NASA Ames Research Center,
National Center for Atmospheric Research,
National Science Foundation, SIAM, Supercomputing Research Center

Papers submitted by:  March 14, 1988
Research exhibit proposals due:  April 4, 1988
Poster proposals due:  August 2, 1988

Conference Highlights-
    Keynote Speaker:  Seymour Cray, Cray Research
    Banquet Speaker:  Carl Conti, IBM Enterprise Systems
    ACM Annual Computer Chess Tournament

Supercomputing '88 is a new conference that will bring  together
supercomputing  system  researchers,  designers,  and  users  to
report new advances and experiences, state needs, suggest future
directions,  and  contribute  to  discussions.   It will include
tutorials, a high quality technical program, on-line  and  video
taped  demonstrations,  informal  poster  sessions,  vendor  and
university exhibits, and product briefings.

TOPICS OF INTEREST. Examples include, but are  not  limited  to,
the  following: 
    Science  and  Supercomputing
    The Impact of New Technology on the Future of Supercomputing
    Supercomputing  Execution Environment
    Supercomputing Development Environment
    Supercomputing Application Environment
    Supercomputing  System Evaluation
    Supercomputing Management Issues
    Mass Storage and Supercomputers
    Technical Aspects of Products
    User Experience

PAPERS.  Authors are  invited  to  submit  papers  which  report
concrete  results  and  experience.   Papers reporting important
negative results are also encouraged.  Selection  criteria  will
include originality, clarity, and relevance.

Requirements:  Papers must be original material  not  previously
published.  Papers must be submitted without conditions; authors
must obtain any necessary approvals and/or clearances  prior  to
submission.  Copyright  release  will  be  required.  Authors of
accepted papers  will  be  responsible  for  retyping  corrected
papers  on special forms to be provided and for preparing visual
material  for  their  presentations  using  guidelines   to   be
provided.  Camera-ready  copy is due July 18, 1988. Presentation
visual material is due for quality review October 4, 1988.

Instructions:  Submit five copies to  the  Program  Chairman  by
March  14,  1988.   Papers  must be in English, be typed double-
spaced, and not exceed 25 pages (about 5000 words).  Papers must
have:   (1) a  title  page  that  lists  the  name,  mailing and
electronic address, and telephone number for each author; (2) an
abstract;   (3)  keywords;   (4)  and   the  presentation  media
requirement.   For  multiple   author   papers,   identify   the
corresponding author and the presenting author.

RESEARCH EXHIBITS.  Some space will be available for researchers
with demonstration-oriented exhibits of their research.

Instructions:  Contact the Program Chairman.

POSTERS.  In addition to informal evening  poster  sessions,  an
on-line  poster  session will be scheduled where people who have
developed interesting applications will demonstrate  them  using
exhibitor equipment.

Instructions:  Contact the Program Chairman.   Proposals for on-
line  posters should  be  made jointly  with  the  collaborating
exhibitor.

SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER  MANAGERS  ROUNDTABLE.   Special  informal
sessions   will  be  organized  so  that  supercomputing  center
managers can share recent progress, discuss common problems, and
consider opportunities for collaboration.

Supercomputing '88 Organizing Committee
     General Chairman             George Michael, LLNL
     Program Chairman             Stephen Lundstrom, Stanford
                                    University and PARSA
     Deputy Chairman              Robert Voigt, ICASE
     Exhibits Chairman            Roger Anderson, LLNL
     Finance Chairman             Sidney Fernbach, consultant
     Local Arrangements Chairman  Dennis Duke, Florida State Univ.
     Publication Chairman         Harlow Freitag, SRC
     Publicity Chairman           George Adams, Purdue University
                                    and RIACS

Supercomputing '88 Advisory Committee
     Robert Borchers     Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
     Bill Buzbee         National Center for Atmospheric Research
     F. Ron Bailey       NASA Ames Research Center
     Melvyn Ciment       National Science Foundation
     Jack Dongarra       Argonne National Lab
     Doug DeGroot        ACM-Sigarch; Texas Instruments
     Joanne Martin       IEEE Computer Society, TC on Supercomputing; IBM
     Norman R. Morse     Los Alamos National Laboratory
     Paul Schneck        Supercomputing Research Center
     Daniel Sorenson     Argonne National Laboratory

For information on the conference, program, or exhibits  contact
one of the following:

General Chairman       Program Chairman               Exhibits Chairman
George Michael, L-306  Stephen F. Lundstrom           Roger Anderson, L-306
LLNL                   ERL 455                        LLNL
P. O. Box 808          Stanford University            P. O. Box 808
Livermore, CA  94550   Stanford, CA  94305            Livermore, CA  94550
(415) 422-4239         (415) 723-0140                 (415) 422-8572
[email-masked]       [email-masked]  [email-masked]

For registration information contact the Computer Society of the IEEE,
1730 Massachusetts Ave., N.W., Washington, DC  20036-1903.  (202) 371-1013

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
****************