Subject: Re: simplified proposal (fwd)

From: "Nathan E. Doss" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 09:20:51 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded message:
> From: Tony Skjellum <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re:  simplified proposal
> 
> Please forward to reflector with statement that I agree with simplification.
> -Tony
> 

  These two functions are simplified versions of some Tony had earlier
  proposed.

-- 
Nathan Doss          [email-masked]

=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=
Proposal:
---------

1. The following non-communicating, local operation is proposed:
	MPI_COMM_TEST_EQUAL(comm1, comm2, flag)
	IN comm1
	IN comm2
	OUT flag (int)

   If comm1 and comm2 are the same type of communicator (i.e., both 
   intra-communicators or both inter-communicators), then flag is: 
 
      MPI_IDENT if the communicator objects are identical in all respects
                i.e., if the contexts are equal

      MPI_CONGRUENT if the groups are equal - order and members of group
                are the same.  For inter-communicators, the local and
                remote group of comm1 must be equal to the local and remote
                group of comm2 respectively.

      MPI_SIMILAR if the group members are the same but the order is
                different.  For inter-communicators, the local and remote
                group of comm1 must be similar to the local and remote
                group of comm2 respectively.

      MPI_FALSE otherwise

   If comm1 and comm2 are not the same type (i.e., one inter-communicator
   and one intra-communicator) then flag is MPI_FALSE.

2. The following non-communicating, local operation is proposed
	MPI_GROUP_TEST_EQUAL(group1, group2, flag)
	IN group1
	IN group2
	OUT flag (int)

      MPI_IDENT if the group members and group order is exactly the
                same in both groups

      MPI_SIMILAR if the group members are the same but the order is
                different.

      MPI_FALSE otherwise