Subject: NA Digest, V. 91, # 15

From: [email-masked] (NA-NET)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 00:17:46 -0400

NA Digest   Sunday, April 14, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 15

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     NA Net List Tops 2000 Names
     Splines in Sailmaking
     New Book by Golub and Ortega
     New Book from SIAM
     The First Annual Large Dense Linear System Survey  
     Douglas Arnold Wins Giovanni Sacchi Landriani Prize
     Finite Element Methods for 3D Diffusion Equation
     Shampine/Gordon Integrator in C
     Software for Hypergeometric Function Sought
     Software for Prolate Spheroidal Wave Functions Sought
     Some Remarks on Reciprocal Pythagorean Sums
     The Toeplitz Lectures in Tel Aviv
     Computational Science Workshop at Los Alamos
     Workshop on Symbolic and Numeric Computing, Helsinki
     Kahaner Report from Japan
     SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra
     2nd Annual Midwest NA day
     CERFACS Short Course
     Contents: IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Cleve Moler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 14 19:55:54 EDT 1991
Subject: NA Net List Tops 2000 Names

This week's issue of the NA Net News Digest is being sent
to an electronic mailing list containing 2026 entries.

-------------------------------------------------------

From: George Corliss <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 7:43:59 CDT
Subject: Splines in Sailmaking

In last week's NA Digest, Gordon F. Royle
<[email-masked]> asked about applications of
numerical analysis.  Readers might be interested in applications of
splines to sailmaking.

    Some time ago, I did some consulting for a firm which makes
sails for racing and cruising yachts.  At that time (and still
today), workers spread out the sail cloth on a large, soft gym
floor.  They use ice picks to constrain long (I saw a 60 footer in
use) fiberglass battens to interpolate as many as 20-30 points with
the desired curve.
    My work involved computerizing a portion of the design process
to drive large (6' x 100') flat bed plotters.  In some settings, we
used cubic splines to interpolate many points.  In other settings,
we wanted to interpolate 3 - 5 points with slopes specified at each
point.  We discovered that when the sail was set on the yacht, many
expericenced racing sailors could distinguish between a piecewise
quadratic and a piecewise cubic spline.  The sailor could not say
what was different, but the cubic splines produced noticably
"better looking" (and faster) sails.
    We also used cubic splines to control the acceleration and
deceleration of the head on the flat bed plotter.  The head weighed
20 pounds.  It was driven by servo motors using bicycle chains.
The piecewise linear acceleration functions supplied by the plotter
manufacturer burned out several motors before we replaced them with
cubic spline acceleration functions.
    My client installed 25 of these plotters in sail lofts around
the world.  They contributed to advances in sails for America's Cup
yachts, for example.  Before the advent of this plotter technology,
the panels in nearly all sails were horizontal.  If you look in a
magazine devoted to yacht racing today, you will see pictures of a 
bewildering variety of panel layouts designed for the stress loading 
in the sails.  By the way, much of the fundamental work to determine the
stress in working sails was hydrodynamics work done by a Danish 
physicist for the same firm.
    We never published any of this work because of the firm's
desire to maintain a competative advantage, but I do not think this
discussion compromises any trade secrets.  By now, it is old news.

George F. Corliss
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Gene H. Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 15:23:20 EMT
Subject: New Book by Golub and Ortega

   Jim Ortega and I have recently  revised and updated the 1981 book
"Introduction to  Numerical Methods  for Differential  Equations" by
Ortega and Bill Poole.  The revision is being  published by Academic
Press  under the  new title "Scientific  Computing and  Differential
Equations:  An  Introduction  to  Numerical  Methods."  Academic  is
shooting to have the book out by August so it would be available for
fall semester classes.  We hope you find this book of interest; we'd
be pleased to hear your constructive comments.
   For further information on ordering the book, contact Dave Pallai
at Academic Press, (617)876-3901, [email-masked].
     
                                Gene Golub

------------------------------

From: SIAM Publications Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 14:57 EDT
Subject: New Book from SIAM

Title:   Mathematical and Numerical Aspects of Wave Propagation Phenomena
Editors:  Gary Cohen, Laurence Halpern, Patrick Joly
Series:  Proceedings -- #50
No. of Pages:  808, softcover
List Price:  $68.00

Description:  The first international conference on mathematical and numerical
aspects of wave propagation phenomena was held in Strasbourg, France, from
April 23 to 26, 1991.  The conference program covers a broad range of topics,
both from mathematical and physical points of view.  The main domain
interest was numerical methods, such as finite difference method (FDM),
finite element method (FEM), spectral methods, etc., for solving wave
equations.

For additional information please contact SIAM, 3600 University City
Science Center, Philadelphia, PA  19104-2688; telephone:  215-382-9800;
fax:  215- 386-7999; e-mail: [email-masked].

------------------------------

From: Alan Edelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 13:48:05 PDT
Subject: The First Annual Large Dense Linear System Survey  

   This is a second call for responses to the first annual large dense
linear algebra survey from issue 12 of this digest.  Those of you
who are solving large dense linear systems of equations for whatever
purpose are invited to stand up and be counted.  If you know others
who would not be reading this digest, could you invite them to fill out
the survey?

  The form can be readily found in issue 12 of this digest or by anonymous
FTP from math.berkeley.edu in /pub/edelman/survey1991, or by request
to me.  Thank you. 

-- Alan Edelman
Dept of Mathematics
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

------------------------------

From: Olof Widlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 16:11:44 -0400
Subject: Douglas Arnold Wins Giovanni Sacchi Landriani Prize

    Douglas Arnold wins the First Giovanni Sacchi Landriani Prize

On February 28, the first Giovanni Sacchi Landriani Prize was awarded to 
Professor Douglas N. Arnold of the Pennsylvania State University Mathematics 
Department. The selection was made by a committee of the Istituto Lombardo,
Accademia di Scienza e Lettere, of Milan Italy.

The Prize honors Dr. Giovanni Sacchi Landriani, a very promising young
Italian numerical analyst, who died tragically in a traffic accident.

Dr. Arnold received the award of 10000000 Italian Lire in recognition of
his work on elasticity, collocation and boundary element methods, mixed
finite element methods and other problems of numerical analysis.

------------------------------

From: Andy Pollard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 08:09:49 MDT
Subject: Finite Element Methods for 3D Diffusion Equation

Problem description

I have a finite difference program which solves a three-dimensional 
modified heat equation of the form,

     Du = cdu/dt + g(u,t)

where D is a Laplacian and g(u,t) is a nonlinear source term dependent 
on u and t.  The computational expense in the problem is associated with 
the the calculation of g, which involves numerous complex exponentials 
on each iteration in the solution.  As one possible way to reduce my grid 
size without introducing discretization error, I am interested in 
implementing a finite element code to evaluate the Laplacian.  Are there 
general FEM routines which might be tailored to my application?

Thanks in advance

Andy Pollard ([email-masked])
CVRTI - Building 500
The University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112

------------------------------

From: Kathryn Brenan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 91 09:09:50 -0700
Subject: Shampine/Gordon Integrator in C

Does anyone know if the Shampine/Gordon integration
software (Adams numerical integration code for ordinary
differential equations) has been rewritten in C? I am
looking a public domain version, before similar work
is undertaken here.

Thanks in advance.

Kathryn Brenan
[email-masked]

The Aerospace Corporation
M1-172
P.O. Box 92957
Los Angeles, CA 90009-2957

------------------------------

From: Tony Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 17:09:02 PDT
Subject: Software for Hypergeometric Function Sought

Does anyone know where I can obtain a fortran subroutine for
calculating the hypergeometric function 2F1(a,b,c;z)?  (Not
the confluent case)

Tony Lin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Russell Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 91 02:25:25 GMT
Subject: Software for Prolate Spheroidal Wave Functions Sought

Does anyone know of any package (public domain or otherwise)
which can evaluate prolate spheroidal wave functions?

Thanks
Russell Ruby
[email-masked]
phone  (503)-737-5167

------------------------------

From: Daniel P. Giesy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 14:13:51 EDT
Subject: Some Remarks on Reciprocal Pythagorean Sums

George Miel, writing in:

NA Digest   Sunday, March 24, 1991   Volume 91 : Issue 12

defines Reciprocal Pythagorean sums as,
                      1/sqrt(a*a + b*b)                       (*)

He then states the 

PROBLEM: Find a division-free algorithm for reciprocal Pythagorean sums 
with similar properties to the Moler-Morrison procedure, namely, with fast
convergence and no range-reduction nor overflow/underflow for a "large" set of
pairs a,b of machine numbers...

Some thoughts which might be at least a partial solution to Miel's problem:  
Without loss of generality, assume a >= b >= 0, and a > 0.  For all c>0, let 
d = (a*c)**2 + (b*c)**2.  Then 1/sqrt(a**2 + b**2) = c/sqrt(d).  This may be a 
range reduction, but I think it might still serve the need.  One problem is to 
compute c so that the calculation of d does not experience overflow or 
destructive underflow.  c = 1/a or 1/(2*a) should accomplish this, but does 
require a division.  If even one division is unacceptable, then bit-crunching 
using the exponent field of a as data should allow one to generate c of about 
the correct size (if a = 1.f*2**e, then c might be 1.0*2**(-e-1)).  One then 
calculates 1/sqrt(d) iteratively as Meil stated in his communication.  If the 
convergence speed of Moler-Morrison is desired, then "the usual division-free 
Newton-Raphson method for 1/sqrt" could be replaced by the iteration
               y = x(i)**2
          x(i+1) = x(i) + x(i)*(.875 - ([1.25*d] - [.375*d**2]*y)*y)
which converges cubicly to 1/sqrt(d).

Daniel P. Giesy ([email-masked])
Lockheed Engineering & Sciences Co., Hampton, VA

------------------------------

From: International Linear Algebra Society <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 91 08:33:08 IST
Subject: The Toeplitz Lectures in Tel Aviv

      THE  INTERNATIONAL  LINEAR  ALGEBRA  SOCIETY  ( ILAS )

ILAS-NET Message No. 110
CONTRIBUTED ANNOUNCEMENT:
FROM: Israel Gohberg

                       Tel Aviv University
      Raymond and Beverly Sackler Faculty of Exact Sciences
                 School of mathematical Sciences

                 The Nathan and Lily Silver Chair
          for Mathematical Analysis and Operator Theory
                          announcing the
                        TOEPLITZ LECTURES
                               1991
                 Tel Aviv, April 24 - May 3, 1991

         L. de Brange                       M.A. Kaashoek
       Purdue University,                 Vrije University,
        West Lafayette                        Amsterdam

        H.J Landau                         L.A. Sachnovich
   AT&T Bell Laboratories,            Communications Institute
       Murray Hill                             Odessa

                       Operator Theory Days
             Dedicated to the Memory of S.G. Mikhlin

                      April 29 and 30, 1991

                          with lecturers

A. Atzmon (Tel Aviv University)      L. Lerer (Technion)
P. Bleher (Tel Aviv University)      V. Lin (Technion)
I. Feldman (Tel Aviv)                M.S. Livsic (Ben Gurion University)
I. Gohberg (Tel Aviv University)     V. Matsaev (Tel Aviv University)
N. Krupnik (Bar Ilan University)     A. Markus (Ben Gurion University)
A. Lazar (Tel Aviv University)       B. Paneyach (Technion)

For further information please contact:

School of mathematical Sciences
Tel Aviv University
Tel Aviv 69978
Israel
E-mail:   [email-masked]
Tel:  03-5450033, 03-5414570

------------------------------

From: Bonnie Yantis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 13:04:20 MDT
Subject: Computational Science Workshop at Los Alamos

                                 Summer 1991
                Los Alamos Workshop on Computational Science

                          May 28 - August 23, 1991
                       Los Alamos National Laboratory
                           Los Alamos, New Mexico

                  Deadline for Application: April 19, 1991
                               Cost: No charge

The Computing and Communications Division and the Advanced Computing
Laboratory invite you to participate in the Summer 1991 Workshop on
Computational Science.

Full-time immersion workshop, designed to provide advanced education for
high performance computing use in computationally-intensive research, will
address science, computing, and collaboration.  

For:

 *    Scientists and engineers in computer-intensive research fields
 *    Computer scientists and computer engineers
 *    Educators in science, engineering, and computing
 *    Graduate students, recent graduates, and others embarking on careers
      in computer-intensive scientific research fields
 *    Graduate students, recent graduates, and others embarking on careers
      in computer science and computer engineering

Seminars in computational science, plus work on computing aspects of their
own research, for ten or fifteen scientists, engineers, and educators from
Los Alamos, research laboratories, and academia, balancing research topics
in sciences, engineering, and computer science to promote an
interdisciplinary exchange.

This workshop provides an interdisciplinary environment for scientists,
engineers, and educators.  It is centered on seminars on concepts and
issues in computational science with discussions led by local and visiting
lecturers.  Participants work on computing aspects of their own research
and learn how to evaluate computational strategies in the context of their
own discipline by exploring the effects of a variety of architectures on
their own application codes.  Participants will be drawn from Los Alamos
National Laboratory, research laboratories, and academia, balancing
research topics in sciences, engineering, and computer science to promote
an interdisciplinary exchange.

Schedule

The full-time workshop will be 12 weeks.  Seminars and discussions are
scheduled about a third of the time.  The rest of the time is devoted to
aspects of the participant's research.  Participants are expected to focus
their efforts on the workshop without the distraction of other projects or
activities outside of their own workshop research.

Seminar Topics

 *    What is high performance computing?
 *    Comparative computer architectures and operating systems
 *    Communications and networks
 *    Code analysis and optimizations
 *    Software design
 *    Scientific computing languages, including Fortran, C, C++, and
      Mathematica
 *    Scientific algorithms, numerical methods, data structures
 *    Vectorization and parallelization
 *    Scientific graphics and visualization
 *    Distributed workstation environments
 *    Large-scale scientific research and simulations
 *    Intimate multidisciplinary science collaboration

Cost:  No charge.

Deadline for Application:  April 19, 1991

Selection of Participants

Ten or fifteen participants will be chosen using the following criteria:

 *    Working knowledge of Fortran or C and one operating system (e.g.,
      UNIX, VMS, CMS, CTSS).

 *    Computer-intensive research topic and a working application program.

 *    Balance of research topics in sciences, engineering, and computer
      science; and the possibility of interdisciplinary exchanges between
      participants.

 *    Willingness to serve as consultants or models for others interested in
      promoting the integration of high performance computing technology
      into research.

Computing Facilities

Each participant will be provided with a workstation in a common office
area, consulting, and computer accounts for a variety of systems:
 *    Cray machines
 *    Connection Machine CM-2
 *    Convex C220
 *    IBM 3090 600E/VF
 *    Other advanced architecture machines

Scientific workstations available to participants include Sun, Macintosh
II, IBM RISC 6000, and NeXT.  High-performance graphics workstations, such
as Ardent Titan, FPS, and SGI 4D/380 GTX, are also available.

For further information, contact:

    Ann Solem or Pat Malone
    Group C-2, MS B253
    Los Alamos National Laboratory
    Los Alamos, NM  87544 USA
    telephone:  (505) 667-5460
    FAX:        (505) 667-4361
    electronic mail: WPCS.LANL.GOV

------------------------------

From: Heikki Apiola <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 91 12:30:10 GMT
Subject: Workshop on Symbolic and Numeric Computing, Helsinki

  Workshop on Symbolic and Numeric Computation 
  Helsinki May 30-31, 1991 

ORGANIZING INSTITUTIONS:

    Helsinki University Computing Centre
    The Rolf Nevanlinna-Institute
    CSC (Centre for Scientific Computation)

GENERAL THEMES:

- Computer algebra and some of its applications

- Interaction of Computer Algebra, numerical computation and
  scientific visualization

- Applications of Scientific Software and Scientific Computing

OBJECTIVES:

The workshop aims to bring together different computational cultures
represented by the symbol algebra, numerical and graphical software and 
matrix-vector language communities. We will try to provide a forum for
exchanging ideas and introducing projects that develop or use some 
combination of such tools.

LOCATION, ADDRESS:

Helsinki University Computing Centre
Teollisuuskatu 23
SF-00510 Helsinki
Finland
Tel: +358-0-70851
Fax: +358-0-7084441

A tentative list of speakers and demonstrations

James Davenport, University of Bath (UK)
Jarmo Hietarinta, University of Turku (FI)   
Norman Thomson, IBM/Winchester (UK)
Ari Lehtonen, University of Jyv{skyl{  
Ken Rimey, Helsinki University of Technology
Esko Valkeila, University of Helsinki 
Minaz Punjani, University of London
Lasse Holmstr|m, The Rolf Nevanlinna Institute 
Alexei Serebrovski, USSR Acad. of Sci
Victor Kistlerov, USSR Acad. of Sci
Heikki Haario, University of Helsinki and the Kemira company
Heikki Apiola, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University of Technology
Pirkka Peltola, Espoo-Vantaa Institute of Technology
Mika Sepp{l{, University of Helsinki and Academy of Finland

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Heikki Apiola   [email-masked]          
Juha Fagerholm  [email-masked]
Marko Laine     [email-masked]
Esko Valkeila   [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: David K. Kahaner <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Apr 91 15:24:11 GMT
Subject: Kahaner Report from Japan

[David Kahaner is a numerical analyst visiting Japan for two-years
under the auspices of the Office of Naval Research-Asia (ONR/Asia).  
The following is the professional opinion of David Kahaner and in no 
way has the blessing of the US Government or any agency of it.  All 
information is dated and of limited life time.  This disclaimer should 
be noted on ANY attribution.  Copies of previous reports written by Kahaner
can be obtained from host cs.arizona.edu using anonymous FTP.
  -- Rick Schlichting <[email-masked]>]

Advances in Numerical Methods for Large Sparse Sets of Lin Eqs.
12 April 1991

ABSTRACT. Titles of papers presented at "Advances in Numerical Methods 
for Large Sparse Sets of Linear Equations", Keio University, 1 March 
1991 are given. 

These papers were presented in Japanese. However some papers are
available in English. For information about these contact the organizer,
        Dr. Takashi Nodera
        Dept of Mathematics
        Keio University
        3-14-1 Hiyoshi Kohoku
        Yokohama 223 Japan
        Tel: +81-44-63-1141 ext 3762
        Email: [email-masked]

The first three papers, about special function properties are from
U-Tsukuba. That group is led by
        Professor Yasuhiko Ikebe
        Institute of Information Sciences and Electronics,
        University of Tsukuba,
        Tsukuba City, Ibaraki 305.
        Tel: +81 298-53-5535 (O), -5187 (S)
        Email: [email-masked]

Interesting work on extensions of conjugate gradient are being done by 
        Dr. Shun Doi
        Information Basic Res.Lab.,
        C&C Information Tech.Res.Labs.,
        NEC Corporation,
        4-1-1, Miyazaki, Miyamae-ku, Kawasaki 213, Japan
        [email-masked]
who is an author of two papers presented here.

PAX is one of the longest running distributed memory projects in Japan
(since 1970s), and one of the few machines in the world for performing
quantum chromodynamics (another is at Columbia). Algorithms for linear
equations on PAX are described by a student of
        Professor Yoshio Oyanagi
        Institute of Information Sciences
        University of Tsukuba
        Tennodai 1-1-1, Tsukuba, 305, Japan
        Tel: +81 298-53-5518, -5449, Fax: +81 298-53-5206
        Email: [email-masked]
Oyanagi will be moving to the University of Tokyo this year, but this 
address should be usable for a while.

      PCG Symposium Keio University (March 1st, 1991)

(1) The Numerical Solution of xJ'_m(x)+HJ_m(x)=0, where
     m > -1 and m > M.
    Nobuyoshi Asai(College of information Science, University of Tsukuba) 

(2) The Numerical Computation of Zero of Bessel Function
    of Order < -1
    Kouichi Takanashi(College of Information Science, Univ of Tsukuba)

(3) Solving J_k(x) = e and J''_k(x)= 0 for a Given e > 0 and k > 1.
    Minoru Harada(College of Information Science, University of Tsukuba)

(4) Evaluating the Bi-CGSTAB Algorithm, Vorst's New Iterative Method
  for Nonsymmetric Systems
  Hiroshi WATANABE(NEC Scientific Information System Development Corp.)
   Email: [email-masked]
  Shun DOI(C&C Information Technology Research Laboratories, NEC Corp.)
   Email: [email-masked]

(5) Direct QR Method for finding the Approximate 
    estimates of large dense symmetric matrices
       Yoshitaka Beppu (Shotoku Gakuen Women's College)
       Unpei Nagashima (Institute for Molecular Science)

(6) The Effectiveness of Gustafsson's Modification for 
     Parallel Ordered ILU Preconditioning
  Shun DOI(C&C Information Technology Research Laboratories, NEC Corp.)
   Email: [email-masked]

(7) Modified Incomplete Decomposition Method for a Time Dependent Problem 
    Seiji Fujino(Institute of Computational Fluid Dynamics)

(8) Gauss Elimination on the Distributed Memory Parallel Computer PAX
    Kimio Takahashi(Institute Information Science, University of Tsukuba)

(9) Conjugate Residual Method for Solving Singular Systems
    Shaoling Zgang(Institute of Computational Fluid Dynamics)
    Seiji Fujino(Institute of Computational Fluid Dynamics)
    Yoshio Oyanagi(Institute of information Science, University of Tsukuba)
 
(10) Reorthoginalization in the Block Lanczos Method
       Hiroko IGUCHI ( Institute of Information
       Makoto Natori   Science and Electronics,
       Hitoshi IMAI    University of Tsukuba)

------------------------------

From: SIAM Conferences Department <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 15:06 EDT
Subject: SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra

       SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra
     September 11-14, 1991, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Colleague:

Just a friendly reminder...... the deadline for submission of
abstracts for presentation at the SIAM Conference on Applied
Linear Algebra is April 19. You can submit your abstracts
(approximately 100 words in length) by

fax to:         215-386-7999

e-mail to:      [email-masked]

phone to:               215-382-9800

Include title of presentation, preference (15-minute lecture
format, or poster presentation), full name and affiliation
(speaker and coauthors), and name of conference.

We look forward to your participation. See you in Minneapolis.

Richard A. Brualdi
Conference Chair

------------------------------

From: Steven Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 09:30:47 CDT
Subject: 2nd Annual Midwest NA day

                        SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT
                             for the 
                     2nd Annual Midwest NA Day    

                        CALL FOR PRESENTERS

Location: Champaign-Urbana, IL 
          Digital Computer Laboratory
          1304 W. Springfield Ave, Urbana               
Date:     Saturday, May 11 1991
          8:30AM - 4:30PM

The 2nd Annual Midwest NA Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 11 1991
on the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign campus. The first NA
Day was held in April of last year to take special note of the
retirement of Bill Gear from the University of Illinois.  This year,
the conference coincides with the May graduation ceremonies in which
Gene Golub is to receive an honorary doctorate from the University.

This is an informal conference with an emphasis on scheduling a
variety of talks from speakers with interests in numerical analysis
and scientific computing.  Bill Gear and David Young are two examples
of old friends of Gene's who have already agreed to give talks.

Those who wish to be included on the electronic mailing list for news
on this event (schedule information, travel directions, etc.) should
send email to:

[email-masked]

For those who plan to attend and are also interested in giving a
20-minute or 40-minute presentation, please send the title and a brief
abstract of your proposed talk to the e-mail address listed above.

Organizers: Paul Saylor, Robert Skeel, Faisal Saied, Ahmed Sameh,
Michael J. Holst and Steven Lee

------------------------------

From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 08:32:03 BST
Subject: CERFACS Short Course

FINAL REMINDER

CERFACS
(European Centre for Research and Advanced Training in Scientific Computation)

will hold

A three-day advanced short course

on

An Introduction to Parallel Computing

Monday 22nd April - Wednesday 24th April 1991

in

Toulouse, France

The course is aimed at scientists in industry and academia who wish to
learn about parallel computing and familiarize themselves through hands-on
experience with a range of parallel computers.

On the first day, some introductory lectures on vector and parallel
architectures will be followed by a more detailed description of the
parallel computers available to students on the course.  These will include
a BBN TC2000,  an Alliant FX/80 and FX/2812, a TMC Connection Machine CM-2,
an INTEL hypercube, a CRAY 2 and an IBM 3090/VF.

The second day will examine techniques for programming these machines and
tools available to assist in their use.  These lectures will be followed by
a discussion of basic numerical algorithms and software.

The final day will address more large scale computing on such
architectures, including the solution of sparse equations, and will provide an
opportunity for students to run their own codes on the machines.

Throughout the course, there will be a strong emphasis on hands-on
experience and it is the intention that students will finish the course
with a basic knowledge of parallelism and how to appreciate, compare, and
use a range of different parallel architectures.

Lecturers include: Amestoy, Arioli, De Roeck (CERFACS), Dongarra (ORNL and
Tennessee), Duff (RAL, CERFACS, and Strathclyde), Jalby (IRISA and Rennes),
Levine (Argonne), Ruiz and Valdettaro (CERFACS).

Contact

Dominique BENNETT
CERFACS
42 Ave Gustave Coriolis
31057 TOULOUSE Cedex
FRANCE
Tel : (33) 61 07 96 96
Fax : (33) 61 07 96 13
EMail :  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Iain Duff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 08:33:40 BST
Subject: Contents: IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis

The contents of the current issue of the IMA Journal of Numerical
Analysis are given below.

IMA JOURNAL OF NUMERICAL ANALYSIS - VOLUME 11, NUMBER 2

The first five papers were presented in the minisymposium on Numerical
Analysis at the IMA Silver Jubilee Conference at Cambridge in September 1989.

  C T H Baker and N J Ford     Some applications of the boundary locus
                               method and the method of D-partitions.

  M G Cox and P M Harris       The approximation of a composite Bezier
                               cubic curve by a composite Bezier quadratic
                               curve.

  I S Duff, N I M Gould,       The factorization of sparse symmetric
  J K Reid, J A Scott, and     indefinite matrices.
  K Turner

  A Iserles                    Complex dynamics of convergence
                               acceleration.

  K W Morton and E Suli        Finite volume methods and their analysis.

  R C Mittal and S Gahlaut     High-order finite-difference schemes to
                               solve Poisson's equation in polar
                               coordinates.

  Gh Adam and A Nobile         Product integration rules at Clenshaw-Curtis
                               and related points: a robust implementation.

  J R Dormand,                 Corrigendum:  High -order embedded
  M E A El-Mikkawy and         Runge-Kutta-Nystrom formulae.
  P J Prince                   (Original paper in Vol 7, 423-430)

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------