Subject: NA-NET distribution message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 90 14:10:56 PST

NA Digest   Sunday, March 4, 1990   Volume 90 : Issue 09

Today's Editor: Cleve Moler

Today's Topics:

     A Great Little Book
     Oskar Perron
     Change of Address of Rolf jeltsch
     Parallel Circus
     CERFACS Offer for Research Position
     Position in Sweden in Computer Graphics and Visualization
     IMACS Symposium on Iterative Methods in Belgium
     IMACS Conference on Computational Physics in Boulder

-------------------------------------------------------

From: Gene H. Golub <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 1990 12:19:31 PST
Subject: A Great Little Book

SIAM has just republished a great little book. It is "Numerical
Analysis: A Second Course" by Jim Ortega. It does not describe
numerical methods but the book gives the fundamental ideas behind
numerical mathematics. It should be required reading for all graduate
students in scientific computing.

The book is in paperback and the cost to SIAM members is about $20.
You might try ordering it by e-mail ([email-masked] will
work).

Gene

------------------------------

From: Paul Levrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 15:03:03 +0100
Subject: Oskar Perron

       Are there any people out there who can tell me something or give
references about the life (and work) of Oskar Perron (who wrote the beautiful
"Die Lehre von den Kettenbruechen")?
       Thanks in advance. Please send to:

        Paul Levrie                        [email-masked]
        Department of Computer Sciences
        K.U.Leuven
        Celestijnenlaan 200A
        B-3030 Heverlee
        Belgium

------------------------------

From: Rolf Jeltsch <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Mar 90 20:24:43+0100
Subject: Change of Address of Rolf jeltsch

I have accepted a position at the ETH in Zurich and
can now be reached at the following address:
           
                  Seminar fur Angewandte Mathematik
                  ETH Zurich
                  ETH-Zentrum 
               CH-8092 Zurich
                  Switzerland

                  Phone +41-1-256 3452
      E-Mail      [email-masked]
      FAX               +41-1-252 3401  (This probably will operate
                                         only starting April 1. 1990)
          
                   Until April 1 use FAX +41-1-2520192
      Telex  817 379 ehhg ch

My private address is:
                   In der Hub 14
                CH-8057 Zurich
                   Switzerland
            
                   Phone +41-1-363 9708

Rolf Jeltsch

------------------------------

From: Steve Hammond <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 11:53:21 PST
Subject: Parallel Circus

                  Final Announcement
                       for the 
               Seventh Parallel Circus

        March 30-31, 1990  at Stanford University

The Parallel Circus is an informal conference focusing on 
parallel scientific computing.  A strength of the Circus is 
the discussion of current research topics and a healthy mix
of industrial and academic participants.

Continuing the tradition that began at Yale in 1986, the 
Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science (RIACS) 
and Stanford University are jointly  hosting the Seventh 
Parallel Circus at Stanford on Friday and Saturday, 
March 30-31, 1990.

This is the first time the Circus will be held outside of 
the Northeast, and we hope to have  many  attendees  from 
around the  country  as  well  as  those  who  have  been 
"regulars".

A partial list of titles of talks from people who have
registered is below:

  "Incremental Condition Estimator for Parallel Sparse Matrix
   Factorization"
  
  "Cyclops: A Stochastic Bayesian Approach to Stereo Matching"
  
  "Parallel Rational Interpolation"
  
  "Parallel Multilevel Algorithms"
  
  "Asynchronous Multilevel Adaptive Methods"
  
  "Parallel Sparse Matrix Factorization"
  
  "Graph Embedding for Efficient Unstructured Iterative Methods
   on Massively Parallel Computers"

Organizers: Gene Golub,  Steve Hammond and  Rob Schreiber

If you are interested in attending and giving a talk or
or just attending, contact Cathy Salazar for more infor-
mation.

  Cathy Salazar
  RIACS   Mail Stop 230-5
  NASA Ames Research Center
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  (415)604-4877
  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: CERFACS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 15:33:44 GMT
Subject: CERFACS Offer for Research Position

                              C.E.R.F.A.C.S

                      CENTRE EUROPEEN DE RECHERCHE
                       ET DE FORMATION AVANCEE EN
                          CALCUL SCIENTIFIQUE

                     (EUROPEAN CENTRE FOR RESEARCH
                        AND ADVANCED TRAINING IN
                         SCIENTIFIC COMPUTATION)

C.E.R.F.A.C.S. aims at developing new tools and algorithms for parallel
computation with a view to applying them to large scale scientific problems.

Another major mission involves advanced training in scientific computation.

Based in Toulouse, France, C.E.R.F.A.C.S. has researchers and engineers
from many countries in Europe.

C.E.R.F.A.C.S. offers, for October 1990, Post-Doctorate and PhD grants.

                          RESEARCH THEMES                             

	* Parallel Algorithms: numerical computation.
	* Instability and Turbulence: direct simulation.
	* Computational Aerodynamics: numerical modelling of flowfields.
	* Visualization Methods : for computational fluid mechanics.
	* Global Climate Modelling and Numerical Simulation of
	  Ocean-Atmosphere Coupling.

                       PhD RECRUITING CONDITIONS                      

Candidates should submit :

*  a cover letter indicating the research theme of interest to you,
your motivations for applying and the way in which you will be able
to contribute to the interdisciplinary nature of CERFACS

*  a Curriculum Vitae with a detailed description of  your training
in maths, applied maths, AND physical maths (especially fluid dynamics)
OR computing (especially in the use of supercomputers)

*  copy of qualifications (either a Masters in Science or a Masters
in Engineering or equivalent)

*  Names, addresses and telephone numbers of three persons who will
write a letter of reference

                 POST-DOCTORATE RECRUITING CONDITIONS                 

Candidates should submit :

*   a cover letter  indicating the research theme of interest to you,
a statement of a specific problem you would like to work on, your
motivations for applying and the way in which you will be able to
contribute to the interdisciplinary nature of  CERFACS

*  a Curriculum Vitae highlighting experience and results obtained in
numerical analysis and parallel algorithms and/or fluid mechanics, in
particular in aerodynamics and turbulence

*  a one-page summary of your PhD thesis and a copy of your thesis and
list of publications

*  a transcript of you graduate course work

*  a copy of your qualifications (PhD or equivalent)

*  Names, addresses and telephone numbers of three persons who will
write a letter of reference					

                          CERFACS' CONDITIONS                         

*  the duration of the PhD grant is 2 years (with a possibility of
extending it for 1 year) and the monthly gross amount is 10590 FF ;
(ie. before social security and income tax).

* the post doctorate grant covers a period of 1 year (with a
possibility of extending it for 1 year) and the monthly gross amount
is 14290 FF ; (ie. before social security and income tax).

*  The geographical location will be Toulouse at the premises of
C.E.R.F.A.C.S.

*  All applications which do not have the information mentioned
above will be refused

*  Final application forms must be received before 20th April,1990 at:

                   C.E.R.F.A.C.S. GRANTS COMMITTEE
                     42 Avenue Gustave Coriolis
                     31057 TOULOUSE Cdex
                            (France)
                      Tel.: (33) 61 07 96 96
                       Fax: (33) 61 07 96 13
                   E-Mail: CROS @ FRTLS12.BITNET

------------------------------

From: Bo Kagstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Mar 90 15:45:25 GMT
Subject: Position in Sweden in Computer Graphics and Visualization

Hello there,
I would very much appreciate if you could make this announcement known 
to as many people as possible (via email, newsletter, etc).
Thank you in advance.  If you are interested to apply for the position
or for a visiting position so do not hesitate to contact me.

Dead-line is March 31, 1990.

Regards, Bo Kagstrom
For full address (including email) see the announcement!

Announcement of SWEDEN's first chair as professor in
Computer Graphics and Visualization in Scientific Computing 
at University of Umea in Sweden

Umea university is a young university that lies at the mouth of the 
river Ume, equidistant from both the capital, Stockholm, and Sweden+s 
most northerly town Kiruna. Today the campus has some 3 000 employees 
and 11 000 students. The university has achieved prominence in many 
fields, of which bio-technology, environmental ecology and information 
technology are some of those in which now intensive activity is taking 
place.

Expertise in the field of information technology in its broadest sense 
is rapidily growing and in certain areas such as Scientific computing 
great progress has already been made, and international collaboration 
established, primarily with European and American researchers. 
A couple of years ago a special action program for Information technology 
- Scientific Computing was established at the faculty of Mathematical 
and Natural Sciences. The program aims towards development of advanced 
methods, algorithms and software in Scientific computing for different 
parallel computer architectures.

The university is together with the Technical University of Lulea, 
the Institute of Space Physics i Kiruna and the Industrial Development 
Center in Skelleftea, founder of Supercomputer Center North (SDCN). 
SDCN is one of two national centers for supercomputing in Sweden and 
is connected to all swedish universities through the Swedish University 
Network (SUNET). Thereby scientists have access to an IBM 3090-600 E/VF, 
placed in Skelleftea, soon to be upgraded to a 600 S-model.

At the university we have a distributed-memory multiprocessor-system 
Intel iPSC/2 hypercube with 64 nodes of which 16 nodes have a vector
facility and are about to aquire a shared-memory multiprocessor-system 
with both high-performance  computing power and advanced graphic 
facilities for visualization.

Due to the partnership in SDCN  Sweden+s first chair as professor in 
Computer Graphics and Visualization in Scientific Computing is now 
established at the university. 

The field is very wide and interdisciplinary to its nature and candidates
for the chair can have different scientific profiles ranging from
research in tools and methods for Computer Graphics and Visualization 
in Scientific Computing to graphics computing and visualization in 
Scientific Computing with an emphasis on applications from biology, 
biotechnology, chemistry, physics and medicine.  
At the university we have applications/possible applications in for 
instance biotechnology - molecular biology, chemometry, environmental 
chemistry, geographical information systems, industrial design, 
medicine, physical chemistry, psychology, theoretical physics and 
space physics.

The professorship is placed at the department of Computing Science.
At the department there are professors in numerical analysis, computer 
science, and numerical analysis and parallel computing. 
Since a couple of years there has been an intense development of knowledge
in the fields of parallel computing and environments and tools for 
parallel computer architectures. 

The university now announces a professorship in Computer Graphics and 
Visualization in Scientific Computing as vacant, reference number 
DNR 321-189-90. Notice that the reference number must be mentioned on
the application.

To get started in the field as soon as possible the position can also be
a visiting professorship.
Send the application to University of Umea, S-901 87, Sweden before
the 30th of March 1990. Enclosed to the application should be curriculum 
vitae, short summary of scientific and educational work, and publications
and ev interest of a visiting professorship. Everything in 4 copies!!

Questions will be answered by Professor Bo Kagstrom, Dept of Computing 
Science, Umea University, S-901 87 Umea, phone +46-9016 54 19, 
email [email-masked] (or [email-masked]) 
or by Project coordinator Torbjorn Johansson, Supercomputer Center North,
Umea University, S-901 87 Umea, phone +46-9016 65 85, email 
[email-masked]. 

------------------------------

From: R. Beauwens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 16:09:58 +0100
Subject: IMACS Symposium on Iterative Methods in Belgium

               IMACS INTENATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON
             ITERATIVE METHODS IN LINEAR ALGEBRA
                      April 2-4, 1991

                   First Call for Papers

SCOPE. Recent advances in the analysis and implementation of
iterative methods for solving large sparse systems of linear
equations and for determining eigenvalues , eigenvectors and
singular values of large sparse matrices.

TOPICS. Matrix analysis (convergence, conditioning),  imple-
mentation (on vector and parallel computers), software deve-
lopments (sparse linear systems, sparse eigenproblems),  ma-
thematical applications (partial differential equations,
systems theory).

SPECIAL SESSIONS.  Coupled inner-outer iteration methods (O.
Axelsson), spectral methods (M.Deville and E.Mund) , complex
variable methods for non-positive definite systems (R.S.Varga),
the Lyapunov equation (E.L.Wachspress).

Deadline for submission of abstracts:  September 15,1990.

For more information, contact the Conference address:

R.Beauwens,IMACS International Symposium.
Universite Libre de Bruxelles, C.P.165.
50, Av.F.D.Roosevelt, 1050 Brussels, BELGIUM.
E-mail: beauwens at bbrnsf11.bitnet

------------------------------

From: Karl Gustafson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 90 11:40:27 MST
Subject: IMACS Conference on Computational Physics in Boulder

         First International Conference on Computational Physics
         University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado USA 80309-0426

Sponsored by IMACS (Association Internationale Pour
Les Mathematiques et Calculateurs en Simulation) and the University of
Colorado at Boulder (Mathematical Physics Ph.D. Program)

CONFERENCE CHAIR 				CONFERENCE ARRANGEMENTS

Karl Gustafson 					Walter Wyss
Mathematics, UC-Boulder 		Physics, UC-Boulder
[email-masked] 		(303) 492-8744 (work); (303) 499--5641
                                (home)
(303) 492--7752 				(303) 499--9977 (FAX)

SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY COMMITTEE
	R. Agarwal (USA), P. Christiansen (DENMARK), R. Temam (FRANCE),
	K. Winters (ENGLAND).

PLENARY SESSIONS
	R. Agarwall (McDonnell--Douglas, USA), A. Brandt (Weizmann Inst.,
	ISRAEL), F. Kang (Beijing, CHINA), 
	M. Marion (Ecully, FRANCE), J. Sethian (Berkeley, USA),
	R. Sugar (Santa Barbara, USA), R. Swendsen 
	(Carnegie--Mellon, USA), K. Winters (Harwell Lab., ENGLAND).

SPECIAL SESSIONS
	C. Baillie (Cal. Tech., USA), S. Biringen (UC--Boulder, USA),
	R. Brickner (Los Alamos, USA), C. Bruneau (Orsay, FRANCE), J. Cary
	(UC--Boulder, USA), T. deGrand (UC--Boulder, USA), 
	T. Gatski (NASA Langley, USA), K. Ghia (U. Cincinnati, USA), J. Goodrich
	(NASA Lewis, USA)
	B. Herbst (U. Orange Free St., S. AFRICA), 
	S. McCormick (UC--Denver, USA), E. Shang (NOAA Boulder, USA),
	R. K. Smith (AT\& T, USA), N. Sobh (Old Dominion U.,
	USA), Y. Wong (Edmonton, CANADA), G. Xie (CHINA), Q. Zou (USA).

CONFERENCE TOPICS
	Spin Methods and New Algorithms, Stability, Bifurcation, and
	Transition in Shear and Turbulent Flows, Applications of the Connection
	Machine, Highly Convective Viscous Flows, Computations in Nonlinear
	Dynamics and Plasma Physics, Quantum Chromodynamics, Computational
	Unsteady Aerodynamics and Dynamic Stall, Computational Methods in
	Hamiltonian Systems, Multilevel Methods in Computation, Lattice Gauge
	Theory, Semiconductor Device Simulation, Numerical Methods of Inverse
	Problems, Computational Ocean Acoustics, other Computational Physics.

PROCEEDINGS
	All papers accepted by 1 April will be published in the meeting
	Proceedings, to be given to all registered attendees of the Conference.
	Instructions and forms for papers may be obtained from the Conference
	Secretary (see below).

	Plenary Lectures and Selected Papers will appear in a special
	(refereed) issue of Computer Physics Communications (North Holland). 
	A special hardbound copy will be discounted to registered attendees who
	place an order at the Conference.

	Late talks for presentation by registered participants in
	Contributed Paper Sessions may be received until the Program
	Deadline, 1 May.  Other Conference participants are welcome at
	any time and may register before or at the Conference.  An Evening
	Session for informal papers is planned.

REGISTRATION AND FEES
	All attendees are encouraged to pre-register for the
	Conference.  The registration fee will be $185.00 if postmarked by 
	April 15.  The registration fee after this date will be $200.00.  The
	fee includes a copy of the Conference Proceedings, reception, banquet,
	coffee breaks and other conference activities.

CONFERENCE SECRETARY
	For registration materials, paper forms, and all other
	Conference matters, please contact:

Debbie Cook, IMACS Conference Secretary
University of Colorado, Office of Conference Services
Boulder, CO 80309--0454
(FAX: (303) 492-5959; Telephone (303) 492-5151

------------------------------

End of NA Digest
**************************
-------