Subject: Conference to include MPI emphasis

From: Tony Skjellum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 13:32:15 CDT

Our second annual Scalable Libraries Conference will feature an MPI
emphasis... -Tony Skjellum
cf,
      *** PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT + CALL FOR PAPERS & POSTERS ***

          Scalable Parallel Libraries Conference II (SPLC94)

                            including

                       MPI Applications Day
                               and
        Multicomputer Toolbox Developers' & Users' Meeting

                       October 12-14, 1994
    National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center
                 for Computational Field Simulation,
   		   Mississippi State, Mississippi

The Scalable Libraries Conference series is designed to

	. complement other, larger, general conferences in 
		high performance computing,
	. bring together key researchers from national laboratories, industry,
		and academia to effect technology transfer of high performance
		computing software and effect an interchange of ideas,
	. include vendors as attendees, but not include promotional activities,
	. provide invited talks on topics involving application of scalable
		libraries in applications, developments in scalable libraries,
		and related issues (such as message-passing technology),
	. provide for contributed talks and posters to allow further
		interchange of ideas,
	. introduce potential users to the work done at our center on the 
		scalable libraries, a specific example of technology we hope 
		to transfer,
	. provide user of scalable libraries with an opportunity to impact
		research in the area (i.e., complain/suggest
	        needs/requirements), 
	. There will be no parallel sessions (except that posters will be
		displayed for at least one full day),
        . Support the promulgation of the MPI standard, and its follow-ons,
		including application development and user training,
	. A proceedings of the all papers and posters will be made; the paper
		deadline will be at the conference. [Publisher: IEEE Press]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The Proceedings of the 1993 conference are available from IEEE
	Computer Society Press. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paper:   A proposal to present a paper should consist of a title
	 plus a seven-hundred-fifty word abstract of the work.  It is expected
	 that papers be controversial, up-to-the-minute, and cutting-edge.

	 Include the name(s), complete address(es), phone number(s), e-mail(s),
		of the author(s).
		
Deadline:                   July 20, 1994
Notification of acceptance: August 1, 1994

It is STRONGLY preferred that proposal to present be sent by e-mail to 
	[email-masked]. 

Hardcopy proposals can be sent to the address cited below under poster
	submissions.

Papers marked "MPI Applications Day" will be considered for special sessions
on Thursday, October 13, which will be devoted to MPI-based applications,
and related talks and posters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posters: A proposal to present a poster should consist of a title
	 plus a three-hundred word abstract of the work.  It is expected
	 that work-in-progress and completed work will be proposed for
	 posters, so that up-to-date material will appear in the posters.

	 Include the name(s), complete address(es), phone number(s), e-mail(s),
		of the author(s).
		
Deadline:                   July 20, 1994
Notification of acceptance: August 1, 1994

It is STRONGLY preferred that proposal to present be sent by e-mail to 
	[email-masked]. 

Hardcopy proposals can be sent to:
		Anthony Skjellum
		NSF Engineering Research Center
		Attn: SCL Conference
		PO Box 6176
		Mississippi State, MS 39762

Posters marked "MPI Applications Day" will be considered for poster session
on Thursday, October 13, which will be devoted to MPI-based applications,
and related talks and posters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conference fee: $225 for all attendees.  Attendance will be limited due to
		space requirements (approximately 100).  Fee includes cost
		of proceedings (to be distributed after the conference),
		and some meals.    Shuttle service also provided to/from
		airport during limited times.

		Fees payable by check to Mississippi State University.

		PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED.  ON-SITE REGISTRATION 
		CANNOT BE GUARANTEED.

		REGISTRANTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO STAY FOR THE ENTIRE
		THREE-DAY CONFERENCE, TO IMPROVE THE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION.

For further information, contact:  Anthony Skjellum,
				   [email-masked],
				   phone: 601-325-8435
				   fax:   601-325-8997

Organizing Committee: Anthony Skjellum, Mississippi State University,
	              NSF Engineering Research Center for Computational
		      Field Simulation + Computer Science Department,

		      Donna S. Reese, Mississippi State University,
		      NSF Engineering Research Center for Computational
		      Field Simulation + Computer Science Department,

		      Andrew Lumsdaine, University of Notre Dame,
		      Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering

		      Ewing Lusk, Argonne National Laboratory

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hotel Accomodations:

	Hotel accomodations are available at several hotels close to
	the NSF Engineering Research Center.  

	The following are reasonable choices:
		The State House Hotel, (601) 323-2000
		The Best Western Motel, (601) 324-5555
		The Holiday Inn, (601) 323-6161

Airport:
	Starkville is served by the nearby Columbus, Mississippi Airport,
	(GTR), which provides connections through three larger cities:

		(American/American Eagle) through Nashville, Tennessee,
		(Delta/ASA) through Atlanta, Georgia,
		(Northwest Airlink) through Memphis, Tennessee

	GTR is approximately a 20-minute drive from Starkville, and
	several rental agencies are on-site.

	Correct directions (better than rental agencies) will be provided
	to registered attendees.  Shuttle to hotels on October 11/12,
	and to airport on October 14.  Also, shuttle to/from hotels will
	be provided each morning, and Wednesday, Thursday afternoons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------