Subject: Revised agenda for MPI meeting

From: [email-masked] (David Walker)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 09:43:08 -0500

Provisional Agenda for MPI Meeting, March 31-April 2, 1993

Wednesday
1:30-3:00   Intro to context sub-committee proposals - Skjellum (10 mins.)
            Proposal VII - Littlefield and Clarke present (30 mins.)
	    Discussion on VII - lead by Littlefield and Clarke (15 mins.)
	    Proposal I - Snir (30 mins.)
	    Discussion on I - lead by Snir (15 mins.)
	    Proposals III and VIII - Skjellum presents (30 mins.)
	    Discussion on III and VIII - lead by Skjellum and Sears (15 mins.)
	    Overall discussion, Recommendations, and Ranking poll (35 mins.)
3:30-6:00   Discussion of Snir, Gropp, Lusk point-to-point proposal (everyone)
            (Snir)
6:00-7:30   Unofficial dinner break
7:30-10:30  Break up for subcommittee meetings

Thursday
9:00-12:00  Continued discussion of Snir, Gropp, Lusk point-to-point proposal
	    (Snir)
            OR
            Discussion of Snir & Geist collection communication proposal
            (Otto)
12:00-1:30  Lunch (provided)
1:30-3:00   Discussion of Snir & Geist collection communication proposal
            (Otto)
3:00-6:00   Full group meeting for presentation of process topology
            subcommittee ideas and proposals.
            (Hempel)
6:00-8:00   Dinner (attendees pay, but hotel provides transport to area
                   restaurant)
8:00-10:00  Continued informal subcommittee meetings if necessary

Friday
9:00-11:00  Full group meeting with the intent of taking binding votes
            on point-to-point and collective communication proposals, or
            sending proposals back to subcommittees for revision.
            (Snir)
11:00-12:00 Full group meeting for defining timetable for producing MPI (or
            subset) by deadline in July.
            (Dongarra)

---

From: Alan Mainwaring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 00:48:57 EST

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 09:43:08 -0500
   From: [email-masked] (David Walker)

   Wednesday

   Thursday

   Friday

After reviewing this schedule, we believe that the last item should be
moved so that it is the first order of business at this meeting.

If it is a goal for vendors to quickly implement and release MPI, then, it
is imperative that we understand what functionality must be included in MPI1,
and what functionality may be deferred to subsequent versions.  Without this
framework we seriously doubt that this process will yield a specification,
against which vendors can implement production software this year.

Respectfully,

Alan and Moose

---

From: Bob Knighten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 93 22:15:02 PST

Alan Mainwaring writes:
  >    . . .

I strongly support this re-ordering of the agenda.

-- Bob

Robert L. Knighten	             | [email-masked]
Intel Supercomputer Systems Division | 
15201 N.W. Greenbrier Pkwy.	     | (503) 629-4315
Beaverton, Oregon  97006	     | (503) 629-9147 [FAX]