Subject: Re: Revised agenda for MPI meeting

From: [email-masked] (Steve Huss-Lederman)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 10:33:19 EST

In response to the recent message by Alan and Moose, I want to reiterate
that I support an early discussion of the goals and timetable for MPI.
This will allow the general framework to be set when we decide on how
to deal with specific proposals.

Given the fact that some of the MPI members are already on travel to
the meeting, I suspect that this change in agenda would have to be
dealt with at the start of the meeting tomorrow.

Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. Wheat)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 08:40 MST

I must disagree with the suggestion to change the schedule.  Without any
agreement to even basic, fundamental concepts how are we to decide what will
go into MPI1 and what won't.  I do indeed understand the desire to know
the scope of MPI1, but I really believe the scope depends on an agreed
method to achieve contexts, groups, etc.  It is those definitions that will
define how much work a given set of MPI routines will require.

Stephen