Subject: fyi

From: Tony Skjellum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 94 12:35:57 CDT

Dear colleagues,
     I am doing a survey of MPI applications underway, or completed, or
even seriously planned and just getting started, for a paper that I am
writing, to be completed in the next few weeks.  I will make this paper
available by anonymous ftp when it is done (the goal is to be done by June 22).

The following are the goals of the paper, and also the format for
contributions...

1) List MPI-based applications, who's working on them, and 
experiences thus far. Specifically,
	- authors
	- short blurb of application area (4-10 sentences)
	- goals of application project (high speed, cheap cycles, 
		new physics, etc) (2-4 sentences)
	- proper citation(s) to the project, and techniques it is based on,
		and/or ftp locations to get relevant articles
2) Determine anectodal information about process of converting from
   other systems  (about 3-4 sentences each, max)
	- amount of effort
	- motivation for conversion
	- degree of satisfaction
3) Determine which features of MPI have proven most helpful in applications
   development and/or conversion, such as
	- communicators
	- inter-communicators
	- topologies
	- pack/unpack capabilities
	- datatypes
	(4-10 sentences)
4) Determine which parts of MPI are most understandable and most confusing
   for application developers
	(4-10 sentences)
5) Get early indications of performance results (such as on IBM SP/1, and
   Paragon) (as much space as reasonably needed to display, including
	any tables or graphs, in Latex or EPS format)
6) Get indications of which MPI implementation or implementations have
   been used in conjunction with the applications 
7) Miscellenaous feedback from application programmers and users, 
	if applicable.  For instance, desire for other/different features.
	(4-10 sentences)

If you are working on one or more applications, please respond in each
of the seven categories listed above, for each application.  Please
include your full name, one or more citations (bibtex or ASCII) that
can be used properly to describe your activity, and your institution,
e-mail/phone information, in case I need more information.  I would
like to present a seven-part description of each representative
application, following the above format.  I will assume that it is OK
for me to quote the material submitted to me in whole or in part,
within this survey paper (editing for conciseness, as necessary),
without any further grant of permission on your part or that of your
institution, and I will reference all the contributors in the
acknowledgements.  Please be sure to secure any needed permissions
before sending me the information, because the paper I am writing will
be distributed without restrictions.

I would appreciate e-mail responses, but my postal address is as follows:
		Anthony Skjellum
		NSF Engineering Research Center
		Mississippi State University
		PO Box 6176
		Mississippi State, MS 39762

Thanks very much,
Tony Skjellum