From: [email-masked] (John Kapenga)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 93 10:49:41 EST

hi;
To add to the "thread" on MPI init.

I think there should be some form of MPI init call before any
other MPI call. This allows MPI implementations over other
systems, without a small but built in overhead. I don't feel
religous about this though.

Assuming an MPI init call of some form is added, the only
questions I would have would be - 

1) Does each thread need to make the call - or is one call 
	per process OK? 
and
2) In the case of only requiring on call per process,
	Is it OK to make more than one call to the init routine -
	as in the case of each thread in a process making a
	call before starting.

If there is any state information kept on a per thread basis - than
one call per thread may be reasonable. I know we tried to keep all
state per thread information out (which I view as very reasonable),
but unless it is a 100% requirement, one MPI init call per
process may not be enough.

john