Subject: MPI_LOAD

From: [email-masked] (Jon Flower)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 93 13:13:44 PDT

I agree with Robert Allan -- we have CPU and wallclock statistics
inside Express and actually use it when computing grid mappings
(i.e., virtual toplogies). It works remarkably well - better than
I think it would be reasonable to expect. If anyone remembers the
"wall of SGI's" that we had at Supercomputing '92 we had a CFD
code that would migrate to and fro between 8 SGI's, and HP and an
RS/6000 depending on what other "stuff" was chewing up their
resources.

So..... I think that MPI would probably benefit a lot from
standardizing this type of call because it would encourage
people to play, and potentially learn a lot about the rather
under-explored field of dynamic load balancing.

HOWEVER, having said that I don't think it's really in MPI's
charter to include this stuff, just as it doesn't include
high resolution timers. Of course, I was one of the people 
that wanted that feature too!

	Jon