Subject: lam, xmpi

From: [email-masked] (Sciviz CO. (controlled by Alan Caserio))
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 95 12:31:38 PDT

Raja, hello :-)

This is Mark Kelly (username sciviz) again.

> My specific area relates to job submission, 
> load balancing, job monitoring, etc.
> 
> I was wondering about a user interface (X/Motif type)
> on top of or integrated with mpi, do you know of anyone
> working in this area of mpi ?  If so, please let me
> know who they are/how I can meet/talk/e-mail them.

---

>> Take a look at LAM.  It's an MPI cluster computing environment for UNIX,
>> and has XMPI, a Motif GUI to monitor and control the application.  The next
>> version of XMPI will be out within a month and will support more features,
>> including tracing.  I can show you a sneak preview if needed. :-)

---

Thanks so much, it is really neat.

A couple of questions -

	1). Does (or will) the next versions of lam/xmpi involve
            node selection based on load, resource criteria, etc. ?

        2). If not, would you (or others in the lam project) want to
            incorporate some modular load scheduling/balancing
            routines into lam/xmpi ? 

Perhaps some vendors provide closed tools for managing/monitoring mpi
programs, (IBM, LSF ?) but I am interested in developing a more open
(multi-vendor) gui to submit mpi programs to clusters.  

Let me know if and how I can help !

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Mark Kelly
([email-masked])