Subject: Correction on status argument to 3 routines

From: Rusty Lusk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 15:03:31 -0500

To go along with Marc's recent posting, I would like to take the C binding
error on three MPI routines as another "official" bug in the current text.
The input status argument on MPI_Get_count, MPI_Get_elements, and
MPI_Test_cancel should be passed as a pointer, not as a struct.  This error
crept in when we decided to make the MPI_Status object a non-opaque type.
There was not much response when I posted this before, but what there was
supported treating this as an error that could be fixed without collective
action. 

Specifically:

___________________________________________________________________________

Erratum:

The C bindings for MPI_Get_count, MPI_Get_elements, and MPI_Test_cancelled
should be as follows:

  int MPI_Get_count(MPI_Status *status, MPI_Datatype datatype, int *count) 
  int MPI_Get_elements(MPI_Status *status, MPI_Datatype datatype, int *count) 
  int MPI_Test_cancelled(MPI_Status *status, int *flag) 

instead of:

  int MPI_Get_count(MPI_Status status, MPI_Datatype datatype, int *count) 
  int MPI_Get_elements(MPI_Status status, MPI_Datatype datatype, int *count) 
  int MPI_Test_cancelled(MPI_Status status, int *flag) 

___________________________________________________________________________

We have made this change, along with Marc's on MPI_Aint, in the upcoming
release of our portable implementation, and in the "Using MPI" book.

Rusty and Bill and Tony

---

From: "Samuel A. Fineberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 13:29:49 -0700

In message <[email-masked]>Rusty Lusk writes
>error on three MPI routines as another "official" bug in the current text.
...
>release of our portable implementation, and in the "Using MPI" book.

I have not been following the bug discussions very closely, but I would like
to see a summary of the bugs in the current standard document.  Has someone
made such a list, and if so, could you please mail it out and put it on the net
somewhere.

Thanks,
Sam

-----
Samuel A. Fineberg             Address: Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation
Computer Sciences Corporation           NASA Ames Research Center M/S 258-6
Applied Technology Division             Moffett Field, CA  94035-1000
e-mail: [email-masked]  Phone: (415)604-4319(voice) (415)604-4377(FAX)
See my home page at URL: "ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/fineberg/home-page.html"

---

From: "Hubertus Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 09:39:45 -0400

Since you are willing to make a few changes let me
put you on the trail of another one.

I extract this out of the MPI-F include files.

#define MPI_DUP_FN   mpi_dup_fn
/* note the draft provides MPI_NULL_FN, however this violates
 * the prototype differences in usage for copy and delete function
 * In agreement with the public domain libary developers we
 * distinguish these functions
   #define MPI_NULL_FN
 */
#define MPI_NULL_COPY_FN    ...
#define MPI_NULL_DELETE_FN  ...

I've discussed this with Nathan Doss and I believe this
has been incorporated into the public domain version as well.

-- Hubertus