Subject: Re: Type contructor

From: Rusty Lusk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 16:44:54 -0600

| I would be delighted if we could get the non-I/O specific type
| constructors adopted by MPI2, but my understanding is that MPI2 isn't
| going to be released until SC96.  In the interim, I think we should
| add the type constructors to the MPI-IO draft (with the intention
| of deleting them when/if they become part of MPI2).
| 
| Does anyone know who we should be working with to make sure that any
| common type constructors have the same syntax?

There is a section of the Miscellaneous chapter of the MPI-2 draft (released
at Supercomputing '95 and posted on the Web) entitled "Additional type
constructors".  Currently it has only one new datatype constructor, the
"Contiguous struct".  The time to propose new datatype constructors for MPI-2
is right now, and the place to propose them is on the MPI-2 discussion list
[email-masked].  As it so happens, I am coordinating the chapter, and
can make sure that proposals are included in the ongoing draft and discussed
at the MPI-2 meetings, but it is always best if there is an "original"
champion for new proposals at the meetings.

Rusty Lusk

P.S. You can join the above-mentioned list by sending

   subscribe mpi-misc

to

   [email-masked]