Subject: PACK/UNPACK

From: [email-masked] (James Cownie)
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 15:04:02 +0000

People,

What are the rules about pack and unpack ? IN particular my
recollection was that we agreed that code which did this 

	pack ( ... MPI_INT, ...)
	send (... MPI_PACKED ...)

	receive (... MPI_INT ...)

is valid. So in other words the combination of packing and sending
with MPI_PACKED is transparent to the receiver, who sees the same
thing as if the data had simply been sent with the type signature used
in the pack.

Page 85 (20 et seq) of the standard talks about this, but is less than
clear to me. (Though it clearly states that the converse case of send,
receive packed, unpack is valid...)

-- Jim 
James Cownie 
Meiko Limited			Meiko Inc.
650 Aztec West			130C Baker Avenue Ext.
Bristol BS12 4SD		Concord
England				MA 01742

Phone : +44 454 616171		+1 508 371 0088
FAX   : +44 454 618188		+1 508 371 7516
E-Mail: [email-masked]   or    [email-masked]
WWW   : http://www.meiko.com:8080/welcome.html