Subject: MPI Developers Conference -- Preliminary Announcement and CFP

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 19:31:31 -0500

*** PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS ***

		      MPI Developers Conference

			   June 22-23, 1995
		       University of Notre Dame
			Notre Dame, IN  46556

The MPI Developers Conference is a conference for developers of
applications which use the Message Passing Interface (MPI) standard
and is intended to support the continued development and use of MPI
and its extensions.  The conference will provide a forum for
developers from national laboratories, industry, and academia who are
using MPI to present their ideas about, and experiences with, MPI.

In addition, a full-day pre-conference tutorial on MPI will be offered
on June 21, 1995.

Since this conference is intended to be cutting-edge (and, if
possible, controversial), we welcome abstracts for presented papers,
oral presentations (i.e., talks with no full paper), panel
discussions, and software demonstrations.  Abstracts should be
approximately 500 words (+- 250) in length and sent by email (in
ASCII, LaTeX, PostScript, or HTML format), if possible.  The deadline
for submitting abstracts is May 29, 1995.  Abstracts will be reviewed
and authors notified of their acceptance by June 5, 1995.  Final
versions of accepted presented papers will be due June 21, 1995 and
should be provided in a form suitable for reading by WWW browsers
(HTML preferred).  In keeping with the cutting-edge nature of the
conference, the conference proceedings will be made available on the
World Wide Web.

Please submit abstracts (in ASCII, LaTeX, PostScript, or HTML format) to

    [email-masked]

Topics include (but are not limited to):

    o Applications using MPI

    o Implementations of MPI

    o Extensions to MPI

    o Why MPI is better/worse than other message passing systems

    o Message passing versus shared memory

    o The future of message passing

    o Software issues

Tutorial:

    An MPI tutorial will be offered on June 21, 1995.  This tutorial
    will be unique -- it will not be just an extended lecture about
    MPI.  The tutorial will be conducted in Notre Dame's SPARC-based
    instructional cluster where  Each tutorial attendee will have use
    of a SPARC-10 workstation throughout the tutorial.  The tutorial
    lectures will be interspersed with a series of exercises requiring
    each tutorial attendee to write, debug, and run MPI-based programs
    using C or Fortran. 

    Because of the fixed number of SPARCs available in the cluster,
    tutorial attendance is limited to 20.

    Instructors:
        Anthony Skjellum, William Gropp, Nathan Doss, Andrew Lumsdaine

Software Demonstrations:

    Conference attendees who wish to provide software demonstrations
    instead of, in addition to, or in conjunction with a paper are
    encouraged to do so.  A SPARC-based instructional cluster will be
    reserved for this purpose.  Please indicate on your abstract
    submission if you are interested in doing a demo and what your
    computational requirements will be.

Social:

    The following social events will be held in the Center for
    Continuing Education at Notre Dame:

        Reception, evening of June 21
        Lunch, June 22 & 23
        Banquet, evening of June 22

    Exact times will be announced with the preliminary program for the
    conference.

Registration:

    A registration form is available at

        http://www.cse.nd.edu/mpidc95/Registration.ps

    Early registration (before June 2, 1995) is $150 for all
    attendees.  After June 2, the registration fee will be $200.  
    On-site registration will be accepted.  The conference fees
    include an evening reception on June 21, lunch on June 22 & 23, 
    and a banquet on June 22.

    The tutorial fee is $150 for conference attendees, $225 for
    non-conference attendees.  Tutorial attendance is limited to the
    first 20 respondents.

    Mail your completed registration form with payment to:

        MPI Developers Conference
        Center for Continuing Education
        P.O. Box 1008
        University of Notre Dame
        Notre Dame, IN  46556

    All fees are payable by credit card (M/C or Visa) or check to the
    University of Notre Dame.  Credit card registrations may be faxed
    to (219) 631-8083 (Web registration is not supported at this time
    because of concerns about the present state of secure
    transactions).

Transportation:

    Notre Dame is served by the South Bend airport (officially known
    as the Michiana Regional Transportation Center).  The airport is
    about 20 minutes from Notre Dame.  Taxi and bus service are
    available.  Most major airlines fly into South Bend.  Delta,
    USAir, and Northwest offer jet service (DC-9 and 737) while United
    and American provide commuter service.  Notre Dame is about a two
    hour drive from Chicago O'Hare airport.

    A map and directions to Notre Dame from the South Bend airport and
    from O'Hare airport will be made available on the conference Web
    page (http://www.cse.nd.edu/mpidc95/).

Hotel Accomodations:

    A block of rooms has been reserved at the Holiday Inn University
    Area (219) 272-6600.  Shuttle service will be available at
    specified times during the conference.  If you would like us make
    a reservation for you, please indicate so on your registration
    form.

Organizing Committee: 

    Andrew Lumsdaine, University of Notre Dame,
      Department of Computer Science and Engineering

    Greg Burns, Ohio Supercomputer Center

    William Gropp, Argonne National Laboratory

    Ewing Lusk, Argonne National Laboratory

    Anthony Skjellum, Mississippi State University,
      NSF Engineering Research Center for Computational
      Field Simulation + Computer Science Department

For further information, see:

    http://www.cse.nd.edu/mpidc95/

or contact

    Andrew Lumsdaine
    Department of Computer Science and Engineering
    University of Notre Dame
    Notre Dame, IN  46556
    Phone: (219) 631-8716
    Fax: (219) 631-9260
    Internet: [email-masked]