Subject: Asynchronous send operations

From: [email-masked] (Ambuj Singh)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 93 13:56:59 PST

Hi:

Here is a suggestion regarding the various kinds of send operations. 

From a semantic point of view, the synchronous and the asynchronous
versions are meaningful.  The further division of the asynchronous send
into two kinds based on whether the buffer has been emptied or not
is an implementation issue.  Implementors of a system where buffer
space is not a problem may wish to return without waiting for the
buffer to empty whereas implementors of a system with limited buffer
space may wish to suspend the operation until the buffer space is
emptied.  As to which version of asynchronous send operation is being
implemented should be transparent and should not affect the correctness 
of a program.

Ambuj Singh
Dept. of CS
Univ. of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
[email-masked]