ATLAS 3.3.6 is out

Guys,

ATLAS 3.3.6 is out.  Goodies available from:
   https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23725

This version has some cool stuff in.  The first thing
is Peter's recursive TRTRI submission.  As mentioned before, performance
is between 5-15% faster than lapack, some timings at:
     http://www.cs.utk.edu/~soender/atlas/trtri.html

The second thing is that, due to popular demand, ATLAS now has a way to
print the version information when you have only a .a.  I added a few
bells and whistles so that more complete build info is available.  The code
to call it can be found at:
   http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/faq.html#probeV

Here's an example of the info it provides:

ATLAS version 3.3.6 built by rwhaley on Sat Sep 22 01:32:43 EDT 2001:
   UNAME    : Linux moo 2.4.8 #6 Tue Aug 14 13:18:38 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
   INSTFLG  :
   MMDEF    : /home/rwhaley/TEST/TEST/ATLAS3.3.6/CONFIG/ARCHS/PIIISSE1/gcc/gemm
   ARCHDEF  : /home/rwhaley/TEST/TEST/ATLAS3.3.6/CONFIG/ARCHS/PIIISSE1/gcc/misc
   F2CDEFS  : -DAdd__ -DStringSunStyle
   CACHEEDGE: 163840
   F77      : /usr/bin/g77, version GNU Fortran 0.5.26 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)
   F77FLAGS : -funroll-all-loops -O3
   CC       : /home/rwhaley/local/bin/gcc, version 2.95.3
   CC FLAGS : -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -funroll-all-loops
   MCC      : /home/rwhaley/local/bin/gcc, version 2.95.3
   MCCFLAGS : -fomit-frame-pointer -O

Finally, I have written scripts that go out and differentiate between gcc
versions, so if you are on an x86 arch, and have 3.0 and 2.95 installed,
it will find and use 2.95 in preference to 3.0, regardless of which is
first in your path.  I've also changed it so 2.95 will be used in building
all kernels, insteading of relying on path, as before.  If the only
compiler you have installed that ATLAS can find is 3.0 or 2.96, ATLAS
issues a warning about the expected performance drop, telling you to
install 2.95, and giving a pointer to how to do so (see below).

On the 3.0 performance issue, I figured it is going to be needed
more and more as people upgrade their systems, so I have posted simple
instructions for installing gcc 2.95 without needing to be root:
   http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#UnixGccInst

This is for unix users.  Cygwin/windows needs the instructions much more,
since last time I checked gcc versions don't install out-of-box on windows,
and I figure cygwin will be downgrading to 3.0/2.96 soon, if they haven't
already.  Anyway, if anyone out there has done this, and can send me
a series of instructions like the ones I posted for unix, that would be
very helpful.  Otherwise, I will look into it the next time I go through
the agony of dealing with Windows . . .

Cheers,
Clint