Re: ATLAS version 3.2 available

Hi Clint!  Congratulations!  A few quick questions to assist with
packaging:

For the purposes of the following, lets denote the atlas general
architectures as (i386,ppc,sparc,alpha).  There may be others less
common, and some on which atlas won't compile due to gcc (e.g. m68k
and arm, I think), but lets discuss this list first.  The
sub-architectures are
(i386-p2,i386-p3,i386-k6,i386-k7,alpha-ev5x,alpha-ev6x,sparc-ultra)
and maybe some others as well.

1) My understanding is that all gcc compiled code in atlas when
   compiled on any machine of a given general arch, will run on any
   other machine of that same general arch.  True?
2) My understanding is that the only atlas code which will run on some
   but not all members of a general arch are user-supplied asm
   routines.  True?  Current list? (i.e. of asm, as opposed to compiled
   user contributions?)
3) I've been informed that libs relying on a certain capability of the
   cpu can be installed under /usr/lib/xmm, or /usr/lib/amd3d for
   example, and that the linker will look there first if the cpu has
   that capability.  These flags are reported in /proc/cpuinfo under
   Linux.  Since you've compiled this release on more machines than
   anyone else, could you please share your understanding of which cpu
   capabilities substantially affect the atlas build?  In other words,
   apart from cache sizes, bus speeds, clocks, etc., which cpu
   capabilities significantly change the contents of the produced
   atlas library?

Take care,